Texas Fishing Forum

Granbury lake / Brazos river

Posted By: stumpknocking

Granbury lake / Brazos river - 03/16/21 12:54 AM

Staying near Contrary Creek for three days of fishing. first time on the lake. Bringing my cast net, live well, and jugs.
any suggestions on striper and catfish. My kiddos are coming up for a couple days from college and wanted them th catch some fish. We plan on exploring the lake and taking in the sites as well.
Posted By: stumpknocking

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 03/24/21 01:24 PM

Great trip to Granbury. Wasn't comfortable navigating to much of the lake. Ended up trowing jugs and running them for a couple days. Lots of Blues and a couple Channels. Blues are cleaned and ready for a fish fry, Channels went back to be caught again.

Spent time idling around taking in all the houses and elaborate boat house. So much to see.

When they tell you to stay on the channel markers they mean it. Only a couple stomp knocking incidents:)
Posted By: BrazosBully

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 03/24/21 04:54 PM

Any tips on throwing jugs (ex: location, depth, areas of the lake)? I am new to jugline fishing and am looking to throw some this weekend on Granbury.
Posted By: Windbreaker

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/11/21 08:45 PM

Are the white Bass still running up by Tin Top? I’m going to meet a buddy down there next weekend. Looking for some intel?
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/12/21 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Windbreaker
Are the white Bass still running up by Tin Top? I’m going to meet a buddy down there next weekend. Looking for some intel?

Place was a ghost town today all the way from half way to horseshoe bend, down to half way to Granbury, we might have marked 40 fish TOTAL. And I feel that's a generous estimate. We managed to pull two big crappie, but they were super skinny, and one sand bass, about 1.5 lbs on it. Water is already super warm, compared to lake temps. When we got off today it was 73 on the surface.
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/12/21 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by stumpknocking
Great trip to Granbury. Wasn't comfortable navigating to much of the lake. Ended up trowing jugs and running them for a couple days. Lots of Blues and a couple Channels. Blues are cleaned and ready for a fish fry, Channels went back to be caught again.

Spent time idling around taking in all the houses and elaborate boat house. So much to see.

When they tell you to stay on the channel markers they mean it. Only a couple stomp knocking incidents:)

Yep, 1st trip out on my new boat clobbered a stump under the surface with a pontoon. A lot of the houses down there have signs out that say, "if you can read this, you're in the stumps". LOL
Posted By: G Love

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/12/21 01:11 PM

They're way up now

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/12/21 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by G Love

They're way up now

Do you mean up towards Dennis and I-20? Looking to go after them on the kayak.
Posted By: Windbreaker

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/13/21 04:33 AM

Thanks all for the insight!

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/13/21 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by BrazosBully

They're way up now

Yes sir. Red Banks, River Bluff, Dennis. Idk about I-20.

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/13/21 03:58 PM

They're way up now

Yes sir. Red Banks, River Bluff, Dennis. Idk about I-20.

Thank you, sir!
Posted By: dmaddux

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/20/21 04:27 PM

How did you do? We have a place near tin top but last few weekends I haven't found the sand bass. We did catch a few crappie in the creeks in brush.

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/21/21 03:00 PM

Did not make it up there recently. Hoping to soon though before they move back into the lake. I live near the southern end of Lake Granbury, and have been catching decent catfish down there.

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/21/21 03:07 PM

Did not make it up there recently. Hoping to soon though before they move back into the lake. I live near the southern end of Lake Granbury, and have been catching decent catfish down there.

Was catching 1 Blue for every 2 Striper sunday, mid lake. There were mixed in.
Posted By: fonzie_r0cks

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/22/21 03:16 PM

Anyone have any luck below the dam? Thinking of heading out there Saturday
Posted By: Texas Fish

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/22/21 03:34 PM

Caught 1 big crappie, 1 drum, and a very small channel cat, about halfway between Tintop and the lake all on minnows this past Sunday.

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/22/21 05:12 PM

Water levels were really high this past week due to last weekend's rain. Made the fishing a little difficult. I usually catch catfish and carp down there. LMB is slow.
Posted By: Texas Fish

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/23/21 03:04 PM

How far can you take a bass boat up the river? How deep is it
Posted By: dmaddux

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/23/21 08:33 PM

You can get to horseshoe bend. It gets really shallow right in front of horseshoe so heads up.

Re: Granbury lake / Brazos river - 04/26/21 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Fish
How far can you take a bass boat up the river? How deep is it

I take my 22' bay boat to sandy beach with no problems. Just be careful. If you're not familiar with the river you can beach it once you get to horseshoe bend. I've seen bass boats hit sand bars on full plane more than once.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum