Texas Fishing Forum

Favorite white bass lures?

Posted By: Lonestar Angling

Favorite white bass lures? - 03/03/21 06:30 AM

I've been catching plenty of white bass lately but am looking to make a small stockpile of bait/lures to take out on my birthday, Saturday. My go-to is a 3" paddle tail swimbait. I'm fishing the Brazos river where the water is very muddy looking so visibility is low.
Posted By: MathisFisherman

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/03/21 02:36 PM

With the river being muddy, I would fish with a lure that has plenty of vibration. A 1/2 ounce rooster tail or a curly/paddle tail in a dark color is good.
Posted By: Christopher1982

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/03/21 03:01 PM

The two lures I love the most for river run whites is a rooster tail/roadrunner (I like bright colors in stained water ie pink, or chartreuse) and the other would be a downsized rattle trap

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/03/21 03:04 PM

Thanks for the recommendation Mathis! I'll keep the vibration in mind looking for new lures, the paddle tail I currently use has a lot of vibration to it with the right speed retrieve and I imagine that's what's been getting most of my strikes. Will be adding rooster tails and curly tail grubs to my list of baits to try this weekend.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/03/21 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by MathisFisherman
With the river being muddy, I would fish with a lure that has plenty of vibration. A 1/2 ounce rooster tail or a curly/paddle tail in a dark color is good.

An inline spinner, rooster tail- Mepps like profile . Color dictated by water color. Muddy, use green or chart , swift water via current may apply cork and jig combo. Always fan cast and pay attention to where you felt a strike or saw your line jump. Have to down size, Crappie jig with three foot tag line and egg sinker attached above , swivel etc. don't b afraid to put small 1/8 ounce unpainted jig head and curly tail on line above swivel, the sliding jig attracts fish.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/03/21 07:16 PM

Slab and Mepps #4 silver
Posted By: Butch Good

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/04/21 03:46 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/04/21 02:11 PM

Sassy Shad
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/04/21 02:26 PM

This is the best. It is a #4 Mepps Aglia plain silver.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Windbreaker

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/05/21 04:40 AM

My preferences:

During the Run->
•homemade lures like the mepps #4 (Dennis Christian got me hooked on his method and I started making my own, heavier weighted)
•top water baits similar to the KVD sexy dawgs (I order them on amazon as they are less than $2 each)
•2” super fluke hooked through the face with a #6 circle hook (Carey Thorn’s setup)
•And a Road Runner Marabou in red/chartreuse (Jane’s favorite in the Sabine at River Ridge

After the Run/Summer->
•homemade mepps #4
•holographic slabs from RSR
•top water baits when surfacing

[Linked Image]

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/05/21 02:06 PM

I wasn't expecting this much of a response, thank you to everybody who has replied! I looked around and my local stores don't carry Mepp's #4 but I grabbed a heavy chartreuse rooster tail, a box of 1/8oz unpainted jig heads with curly tail grubs, a few more swimbaits, and some flukes. I've been going every day to fish for white bass and they have been hitting harder daily on my standard swimbait, I'm looking forward to using these new baits tomorrow, I think it'll make for a much better birthday fishing session. Thanks again to everybody, I will try to remember to update y'all after fishing tomorrow, assuming too many beers aren't had at the river first! roflmao
Posted By: gborg

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/05/21 02:09 PM

Windbreaker, do you sell the in line spinners ??

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/06/21 02:09 AM

Just wanted to update and let y'all know that I had luck with a rattle trap and curly tail jigs. The fishing was tough between the extreme winds and showing up right as the bite was tapering off, but I still managed to pull out a half dozen or more white bass. Thanks again for the recommendations, it has been a lot of fun working to catch fish on baits that I'm less comfortable using.
Posted By: Windbreaker

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/06/21 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by gborg
Windbreaker, do you sell the in line spinners ??

I have thought about it, but never got around to it.

I don’t typically lose that many but I take a lot of friends fishing that are noobs and they like to lose them for me. I have caught so many on one that almost all the white paint was gone. I normally re-tie every 10 fish or when I see my braid starting to fray above the lure.

If you send me an address, I will mail you a couple.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/07/21 04:49 AM

For rivers my fave is the 2” Rapala Minnow, floater or Countdown depending on the depth. 4 or 6 lb mono.
Tie your line with a tight knot directly to the bait. Keep the knot centered or just a bit below center on the eye.
(No swivel or split ring)
Posted By: silvers

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/07/21 04:05 PM

2 Mepps spinner, silver blade, white tail
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/07/21 04:46 PM

All silver Blue Fox spinner no tail. Remember though creek fishing is notorious for depleting your supply of lures, snagging in trees. Kinda like the tree that kept eating Charlie Browns kite. So most often I use the cheap option brightly colored jigs.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/07/21 05:05 PM

JIGLYF jigs https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/13868680/all/shhhh
Posted By: Bobby Gossett

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/07/21 05:44 PM

Typically in the creeks I either throw a rooster tail or a jig/curly tail grubs. Used to throw the mini rattle traps a lot, but can get expensive quick if you are not careful!
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/08/21 02:55 AM

Rat-L-Trap
Little George
Bettle Spin

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/08/21 03:06 AM

Thanks for the warning Rick and Bobby, I learned that after bringing two rattle traps out and leaving with none roflmao all of my fish in the last few sessions have been caught on chartreuse curly tail jigs on 1/8oz jigheads. I'll have to try the JIGLYF jigs Gar, they look like they work great for you and yours!! thumb
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/08/21 03:23 AM

Blue and chrome rattle trap. not the tiny ones, but the next step up. Absolutely killed it on the Brazos today, with them.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/08/21 03:49 AM

Nothing over 1/8oz because I only fish small water, I only like to use stuff I can get on sale. Early in the run these fish aren’t that easy to catch so a minnow is the only way to go. Ultimately the line is a more important factor than the lure where I fish.

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/08/21 04:49 AM

Z289sec I have seen a friend slay em on the same blue and chrome rattle trap I think you're talking about, it looks larger than we thought they would bite but we didn't have luck on the tiny guys... First cast he was on his biggest fish of the day!

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/08/21 04:53 AM

Mckinneycrappiecatcher 1/8th oz works great for me with a really slow retrieve. I think line size has a lot to do with the bite where Im fishing as well because I get them more consistently on 4lb floro than with 6-8lb mono, though I haven't fished both on the same day yet.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/08/21 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lonestar Angling
Thanks for the warning Rick and Bobby, I learned that after bringing two rattle traps out and leaving with none roflmao all of my fish in the last few sessions have been caught on chartreuse curly tail jigs on 1/8oz jigheads. I'll have to try the JIGLYF jigs Gar, they look like they work great for you and yours!! thumb

Pm sent
Posted By: jkb1314

Re: Favorite white bass lures? - 03/09/21 12:12 AM

Panther martin silver or gold depending on clarity. Silver matzuo nano sz4mn minnow twitch bait . If you can find them mirrolure 3m11 twitch bait. Flies, olive neer deer, charteuse white clouser white neer deer. Yes rooster tails too. Clear red silver and blue metal flake tube jig tiny jig head either under a bobber or not. Last one tiny fluke rigged small hook thru eye and small split shot about 18" back. Truth is if they're biting any flashy bait works. When they're not these have helped me.

Jkb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum