Texas Fishing Forum

Sandbass Run

Posted By: lilBr.

Sandbass Run - 02/19/21 07:12 PM

I have been hearing about the sand bass run and Ray Roberts? When about does it take place and where? What does one use to catch, slab, jig, or what? Trying to find out more on this and hopefully be able to go.

Thanks.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Sandbass Run - 02/19/21 09:47 PM

They spawn when the water temps get to around 55. Usually March ish. They go up any creek with flow (flow is key) and you can find them in the rapids and deeper pools depending on conditions. Crappie jigs, roostertails, small rapalas, roadrunners basically anything will get bit when they are there. Super easy to do and not hard to find and catch them when the spawn is on.
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Sandbass Run - 02/20/21 05:13 PM

Spring creek on ray bob. find suitable parking near I-35. walk both ways up and down river. they probably are not there yet in numbers but will be in a couple weeks.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Sandbass Run - 02/21/21 04:48 PM

My guess is it will be set back a couple of weeks. Generally they start to show up well in early March but my guess is this year it might be more like mid-late March before they show up well. Lake temps are in the 30s right now and it’s gonna take a while to warm it up.
Posted By: lilBr.

Re: Sandbass Run - 02/25/21 02:35 PM

Thank you for the responses, is any of this accessible by boat or is it typically bank fishing?

Re: Sandbass Run - 02/25/21 05:32 PM

Most creeks are bank fishing, a lot of them are very small.

Re: Sandbass Run - 02/25/21 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by lilBr.
Thank you for the responses, is any of this accessible by boat or is it typically bank fishing?

There is really no need for a boat when they get going good
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Sandbass Run - 02/26/21 03:41 PM

you don't need a boat. if your on a boat and in a creek the odds are your not far back enough. that goes for lewisville as well as ray roberts. You really want to be where you see moving water. the stagnant stuff wont produce much.
Posted By: Bones72

Re: Sandbass Run - 02/27/21 01:39 PM

[Linked Image]

They are in the creeks
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Sandbass Run - 03/01/21 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc
you don't need a boat. if your on a boat and in a creek the odds are your not far back enough. that goes for lewisville as well as ray roberts. You really want to be where you see moving water. the stagnant stuff wont produce much.

Unless you have a boat that will get you back into flowing water...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Sandbass Run - 03/01/21 10:11 PM

That will work, you just have to duck the lead coming from the banks cheers
Posted By: mickeytfc

Re: Sandbass Run - 03/02/21 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Capt. Mac

[Linked Image]

That is a cool freakin' custom boat!
Posted By: gborg

Re: Sandbass Run - 03/03/21 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by mickeytfc

[Linked Image]

That is a cool freakin' custom boat!

The bomb for swift shallow rivers. Don't see a push pole . I do have Glaucoma !!
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Sandbass Run - 03/03/21 08:11 PM

I see a push pole.
Posted By: sticknstring

Re: Sandbass Run - 03/03/21 11:25 PM

theres one on the right side tucked under the tm, its longer than the boat itself too...
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Sandbass Run - 03/03/21 11:31 PM

[quote=Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc]you don't need a boat. if your on a boat and in a creek the odds are your not far back enough. that goes for lewisville as well as ray roberts. You really want to be where you see moving water. the stagnant stuff wont produce much.

[Linked Image][/quo

Nice Boat! thumb

Re: Sandbass Run - 03/04/21 12:27 AM

Definitely a push pole onboard.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Treadlightly2

Re: Sandbass Run - 03/04/21 01:25 AM

Went to the Nolan River today just upstream from where it meets the Brazos. I didn't catch didly but watched a guy with a fly rod catch one crappie after another on what he described as a Maribu. Two people leaving as I was arriving had maybe a dozen sandies. The flow is very slow. Need more rain.

Re: Sandbass Run - 03/04/21 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Treadlightly2
Went to the Nolan River today just upstream from where it meets the Brazos. I didn't catch didly but watched a guy with a fly rod catch one crappie after another on what he described as a Maribu. Two people leaving as I was arriving had maybe a dozen sandies. The flow is very slow. Need more rain.

Agreed. Wish we would get one good gully gully washer then stop for a while.
Posted By: CDS

Re: Sandbass Run - 03/07/21 10:03 AM

I fished the Nolan yesterday at Rock Creek. Nobody was catching. Fish are not there yet. Need a few more sunny days.
Posted By: winchester44

Re: Sandbass Run - 03/07/21 05:59 PM

It was epic on the Nolan this weekend last 2 years according to my iPhone photos. Lots of good size fish too. Cold must have pushed them back. Do the males typically precede the females by 1 to 2 weeks there?
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Sandbass Run - 03/08/21 03:16 AM

Slayed them today between the bridge at Tin Top, and the first turn in the bend, down river towards Granbury. 10-12 foot, tie on a blue and chrome rattle trap, and you can't miss. Caught a ton of smallies, a bunch of keeper size, and a few hog, egg filled females, one was over 3 lbs. Put them all back, so they could make some more little ones. I almost want to call in sick tomorrow, and go back. LOL.

Re: Sandbass Run - 03/08/21 10:29 PM

If you feel like grinding out bites all day there are a few fish in the creeks, my findings thus far have been that most fish are still in the deeper parts of creeks and rivers staging towards the lakes. A rain will blow it wide open.

Re: Sandbass Run - 03/08/21 10:44 PM

Caught at least 60 in 2 ft of flowing water today. They are up and ready. Next rain should be able to limit in 30 minutes LOL
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum