Texas Fishing Forum

Rod recommendations for white bass

Posted By: Jonathan5

Rod recommendations for white bass - 01/29/21 05:55 PM

I've read through many posts since joining recently to help guide me to purchase the right rod and reel for white bass fishing from the bank. I bought a spinning reel set up but I really prefer a baitcaster. Dennis Christian recommended using a baitcaster so I figured it should work. I finally decided on a Lew's speed spool lfs because it came up in so many threads. Now I'm a bit overwhelmed as to what rod would work best with it for what I'm wanting to do, (white bass from the bank). I would prefer to spend under $100.
Thank you in advance for your advice.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Rod recommendations for white bass - 01/29/21 07:24 PM

welcome I use 6’6” medium or medium/heavy rods (ugly stik) for most of my fishing from the bank. I typically use Abu 6500 reels. To increase casting distance for fish like white bass, I will throw a slab spoon with a smaller lure on a 12” or 18” leader trailing behind the slab.
Posted By: ACES82

Re: Rod recommendations for white bass - 01/29/21 07:53 PM

Look at a Falcon Bucoo, Medium Heavy 7'3" is what i use with a lews Wide body speed spool.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Rod recommendations for white bass - 01/30/21 03:58 PM

As you become more proficient casting, your needs and expectations will increase as well. Junk is junk and will not improve with your learning curve. Dennis Christian is a master of finesse fishing , follow his lead and the rest is up to you !!
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Rod recommendations for white bass - 01/30/21 09:20 PM

I love my ugly stick GX2. I get them in 7 foot so they are one solid piece rod. I use medium to medium heavy because I often go after hybrids or white bass and never know what I am going to hang into. Of course you can get away with lighter tackle if a guy wanted, but my priority is to have a bullet proof set up that works for me and not require being babied.

The rods are only about $40 at your local academy but they are darn near unbreakable! I've only broke one rod in six years and it was because I was hung up and literally pulling my 24 foot boat to the hang up using the rod! And most likely it was compromised in that area over the years otherwise it really shouldn't have broke. Bottom line, you cannot beat an ugly stick.
Posted By: LastCastPodcast

Re: Rod recommendations for white bass - 01/31/21 06:28 PM

I generally assume that everyone on this forum knows more than me, so keep that in mind when I recommend the opposite. I think that to throw the small lures you need to get the sandies in creeks that you will need a light spinning outfit in the 6# range. And the feel of the rod, and having rod and reel match the 6# line weight is the most important factor. So I'll usually go to my local sporting goods store, walk up and down the rod aisle until I find a rod that feels right to me and costs in the $40-50 range (since tromping around in the brush will break off the tip sooner rather than later, and a $40 broken rod is less depressing than a $200 broken rod), and then I'll slap on an Optix spinning reel.

That being said, this year I plan to go about 90% fly rod for the run. I've seen way too many fly fisherman outfish everyone around them for too many years now. I spent last week tying marabou minnows and I just need to tie a few Cypert minnows and then I'm ready to go.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Rod recommendations for white bass - 01/31/21 06:38 PM

BnM sam heaton super sensitive. Will feel like you are reeling in a shark
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Rod recommendations for white bass - 01/31/21 06:58 PM

For me a white bass rod is the same as a crappie rod. I medium light 7ft rod with a 1000 series reel and 6lb line. I personally don't use a baitcaster for white bass fishing but to each his own.
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Rod recommendations for white bass - 01/31/21 10:57 PM

Everyone has opinions...
You already have the reel, so just need to match a rod. There are a LOT of really nice rods for less than the $100 mark. I would go to Academy, Bass Pro, etc. and pick up some rods and feel them. See what feels good to you.

For sand bass as the primary target, you do not need too heavy a rod. If you do hook a hybrid or cat, etc. you will still be ok with a good medium action, fast tip rod. From the bank you should have room to cast. Lighter lures will cast better, further, from a longer rod. So look for a 7' medium action, fast tip rod. Graphite.

I like the Ugly Stik GX2 rods a lot... good feel and tough rod for the money. But some just dont like them... like everything else. Lew's also has some really nice rods that would match the reel.

Good luck, stay safe.

Ken
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Rod recommendations for white bass - 02/01/21 12:19 AM

A medium action Berkeley Cherrywood is roughly 25.00 at any Walmart or Bass Pro. They work fine. Michael Littlejohn uses them on his boat for white bass and hybrids. They catch 1000’s a year on Tawakoni with them. No need for the high dollar stuff and no need to overthink it. When one gets on, you will know it
Posted By: G Love

Re: Rod recommendations for white bass - 02/01/21 02:36 PM

Just a cheap All Star panfish rod, I think they're called? 7' L. Crappie fish with it too. Slabbin, whatever. Doesn't really matter. I have Cherrywood, Falcon HD's, they'll all get slabs on them.
Posted By: Butch Good

Re: Rod recommendations for white bass - 02/02/21 12:28 AM

I use nothing but an ultralight setup. Too much fun when the run is in. 1/4 oz jig with a 2 inch Sassy Shad and it’s on.
Posted By: Jonathan5

Re: Rod recommendations for white bass - 02/11/21 08:25 PM

[Linked Image]

Thank you for all your input. I will be heading to Academy soon to look at some of your suggestions and pick one out. In the meantime, I was able to find a few using the spinning rod before the cold set in.
Posted By: LastCastPodcast

Re: Rod recommendations for white bass - 02/12/21 03:33 PM

Nice catch! If that's where I think it is, the river flow must have been barely a trickle.
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: Rod recommendations for white bass - 02/12/21 04:02 PM

clap thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum