Texas Fishing Forum

White bass above lake Corpus Christi?

Posted By: Whizbang

White bass above lake Corpus Christi? - 01/16/21 07:23 AM

Any reports from Nueces River yet?
Posted By: itwasalladream

Re: White bass above lake Corpus Christi? - 01/16/21 01:17 PM

Looking for a report also. Gonna be fishing it with the kayak this year. Where is the best place to put in?
Posted By: Whizbang

Re: White bass above lake Corpus Christi? - 01/16/21 08:54 PM

Coming south on I37, take the Geoge West exit on to 59 south. That puts you within a mile or two to where US 59 crosses the Nueces. Boat ramp and parking available under bridge.

Re: White bass above lake Corpus Christi? - 01/17/21 11:57 PM

Went today the water was way LOW. Up and down river from airport. Ended the day with 10 between two yaks. A good rain will explode the fishing.

Re: White bass above lake Corpus Christi? - 01/17/21 11:58 PM

I put in at airport road.
Posted By: MathisFisherman

Re: White bass above lake Corpus Christi? - 01/18/21 07:09 PM

Yes it is VERY LOW. The females have not yet made their way up river. I have heard its mostly small males (hit or miss.)
Posted By: snookered

Re: White bass above lake Corpus Christi? - 01/26/21 06:46 PM

Is the water too low for a johnboat? I haven't seen it yet this year....

was that enough rain this past weekend to kick things off? or are the females still waiting down river?

we might go give it a shot this Saturday
snookered
Posted By: Holzer

Re: White bass above lake Corpus Christi? - 01/27/21 02:17 PM

From reports that I've seen on other pages, if the fish are not there now, my guess is that you are late and missed out on the big run.
That, or the area is fished out.

Re: White bass above lake Corpus Christi? - 01/29/21 09:04 PM

right on Holzer....the numbers might be down due to the lake levels dropping as well...

do you mind sharing these additional sources for reports?
thanks,
snookered
Posted By: BAR

Re: White bass above lake Corpus Christi? - 01/30/21 07:24 PM

There are large schools still holding in the main lake even down on the South end. Much less fish action up North this year.
Posted By: MathisFisherman

Re: White bass above lake Corpus Christi? - 02/01/21 02:39 PM

This year has been a "bust" for the white bass on the Nueces. We desperately need rain.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: White bass above lake Corpus Christi? - 02/01/21 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by MathisFisherman
This year has been a "bust" for the white bass on the Nueces. We desperately need rain.

When there is little to no flow of water coming into a lake the white bass will stay in the lake and spawn in the coves and windblown points of the main lake.
It's something that killed the upstream spawning run on Canyon lake when the river all but stopped running a few years back, and the whites run was weak and never really recovered.

Re: White bass above lake Corpus Christi? - 02/01/21 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Originally Posted by MathisFisherman

When there is little to no flow of water coming into a lake the white bass will stay in the lake and spawn in the coves and windblown points of the main lake.
It's something that killed the upstream spawning run on Canyon lake when the river all but stopped running a few years back, and the whites run was weak and never really recovered.

yeah, seems we have this conversation every year Jimbo, LOL

we did not make it up to George West this weekend; actually had to attend a funeral instead....

might tank it and just wait for spring and try and hit them in the coves and what not
snookered
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum