Texas Fishing Forum

Is it to cold to fish??

Posted By: BOB HOLMES GS

Is it to cold to fish?? - 01/13/21 02:44 PM

Lately I've had folks asking about catching the sandbass spawning in the creeks and which creeks were the best.

I don't know about the rest of the world but it's kind of a tradition in these parts to get in on it.

Growing up I caught many sandbass running up Redoak creek out of the Trinity.  You can bet we always got our trucks stuck trying to get there. The trip would begin with seining crawfish out of the ditches on the way to the Bristol bottoms. And of course the fishing would be fantastic, catching stringers full of giant sandbass. 

Anyway I love telling the old stories but now days you catch the sandbass spawning in the creeks. 
You should start looking for them in early March and they should running hard by mid March. 

I like Chambers Creek and Richland Creek these days.
I usually put on a pair of rubber boots take me a handful of lead headed spinners and get to the creeks early. 

It's hard to predict these runs one day is feast next day is famine but a good experience for a young fisherman growing up.

On the big lake now my friends tell me they're catching big bluecat on jug lines and the sandbass are holding as deep as 50ft. From a distance a boat will look like he's in the middle of the lake and he is.
You idle off these long point's until you mark bait or fish and try to jig them up without hardly moving your bait. Lots of people call this dead sticking.

Good luck out there and if you would like to book a trip this year call now, the good dates are getting filled. 

Bob Holmes longest running fishing guide on the lake and still the striper lake record holder!
214 728 3310
Bob@texasfishingguide.net 
Www.texasfishingguide.net 
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Is it to cold to fish?? - 01/13/21 10:25 PM

No! hooked
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Is it to cold to fish?? - 01/13/21 10:31 PM

We usually start catching them in the Angelina River just after Thanksgiving. cheers

By March they are almost all back in the lake and schooling big time! woot
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Is it to cold to fish?? - 01/13/21 10:35 PM

Its too cold only when your reel freezes up from ice coming in on your line
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Is it to cold to fish?? - 01/14/21 06:22 PM

Red Oak Creek runs right behind my house.

I didn't know about the sandies down there at Bristol.

I fished at Cedar Creek a lot, years ago. In the winter, we'd find them out on the now well known humps and just hold that slab a couple of inches off the bottom.
....boom....
Posted By: Easeup

Re: Is it to cold to fish?? - 01/15/21 12:10 AM

it is too cold to fish when like the other day the temp was 25F and foggy. the precipitant from the fog made ice on the deck of the boat (no carpet).
walking in the boat was a death trap !!!! and accident waiting to happen.

good thing the sun warmed it up in a few hours and the fish started biting
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Is it to cold to fish?? - 01/15/21 09:54 PM

The last time I fished in really cold weather, it was sleeting and snowing - which covered the deck of my Skeeter.

The hybrids were schooling topside down near the long ridge and I was loading up on them.

(getting that Skeeter back up the ramp was a bit dicey but I made it)
Posted By: ACES82

Re: Is it to cold to fish?? - 01/15/21 11:00 PM

I remember catching crappie at Lake Leon years ago where the rod tips were freezing up, have to reach down and knock the ice off every so often. But we caught some mighty big slabs!
Posted By: bellamy72

Re: Is it to cold to fish?? - 01/19/21 04:00 PM

No went yesterday nothing to write home about but ended up with 30. Have you tried a thumper on Chamber's ?
Posted By: Overworked2020

Re: Is it to cold to fish?? - 01/20/21 03:33 PM

We got into schooling hybrids on Richland chambers a week ago. Cold but fun
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum