Texas Fishing Forum

Great Day on Whitney

Posted By: beltonbill

Great Day on Whitney - 01/09/21 01:49 PM

I fished Whitney out of Kimball Bend Park on Friday. We started around 8:30 on a cold morning, and tried dead sticking for stripers and whites. The trip was all catch and release and we had 59 on the counter when we ended about 3:30. Of those there were 40 stripers and 18 whites with one catfish thrown in to finish out the mix. At least 20 stripers were over 18 inches with the largest being 13 3/4 pounds on a Boga grip. We also had one at 7 pounds. We caught a lot of 5 pound fish on small flukes and 4 inch Gulp Alive. We drifted deep holes where bait was plentiful and moved about .5 MPH. I would like to give a special thanks to James Davis who showed me the pattern on Tuesday. Spending time with a good guide is well worth the investment of time and money. It helps learn the technique and location of where to find fish. I have pictures of the big fish on someone else's phone and will add to this post when I get them.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/09/21 02:04 PM

Thanks for the report sir. Were y’all thumping?
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/09/21 02:26 PM

Great job. Sounds like a fun day for sure.

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/09/21 02:27 PM

Yes we did thump with a Bobo thumper.
Posted By: Catcham

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/09/21 02:47 PM

Live bait.?

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/09/21 03:04 PM

Normally I know not live bait on dead sticking just curious on what bigger stripper were caught on
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/09/21 03:06 PM

Awesome! Thanks sir.

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/09/21 03:37 PM

Striper. Not stripper

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/09/21 04:22 PM

Big fish were caught on flukes.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/09/21 06:51 PM

thumb
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/09/21 09:34 PM

I took a friend of mine and two of his boys to Whitney this morning. We deadsticked the river channel on the north end of the lake. Caught and released 70 striper (kept 4 striper for supper) and 3 monster white bass on white flukes with chartreuse/garlic dipped tails. All 3 sizes of flukes caught fish. Jr, regular and magnum flukes were equally as productive. We thumped the whole time we had a line in the water.

[Linked Image]

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/09/21 10:24 PM

Thanks
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/10/21 01:12 AM

Great report Bill thumb. It was pretty much the same today, found stripers above and below the 174 bridge. Stripers quit on me above the bridge about 9:00 then headed back down river and found large groups willing to eat. Mostly deadsticking with a thump boss. Sand bass action was great also, using a fly tied above a slab deadsticking with the occasional slow lift and drop back down off the bottom. Didn't catch any sand bass on the slab today, they only wanted the fly. Lost count on how many fish boated but it was steady all day for the most part . water tempts are about perfect 48°-51°
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/10/21 02:01 AM

The Brazos below the Whitney dam was on FIRE today too. Bank fished at the boat ramp, but everyone I saw at the ramp, came back with a bunch of hogs. Most of them, according to the ones I asked, were also caught on flukes. Someone caught a 8 or 9 pounder on a crappie jig on light tackle. Bet that was fun!
Posted By: ML56

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/10/21 04:55 AM

Nice job Bill thumb thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/10/21 05:33 AM

Awesome post and some nice fish. Most important of all some "Lifetime Memories" ! cheers

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/10/21 01:30 PM

ML56 we also splashed with your prop. It all makes it get better.
Posted By: Flyingjoe

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/10/21 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Catcham
Normally I know not live bait on dead sticking just curious on what bigger stripper were caught on

Donuts and cash!

Sorry, couldn't resist. grin

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/11/21 01:06 AM

Picturesl

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/11/21 01:14 AM

These pictures show Oahetrader holding our largest fish.
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/11/21 03:20 PM

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks LOL.
I thoroughly enjoyed the company my friend! Looks like you guys had a fantastic day!
Posted By: M Smith

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/11/21 11:41 PM

Son, grandson and I launched at Kimball bend 2:30 Sat. We found fish within 100yds of ramp and began deadsticking for the first time ever. I missed the first 4 or 5 bites, then we all started catching. When bite slowed turned on thumper and caught for another 20 min. Then went looking for another school, while looking we spotted birds working near railroad bridge, we left them still biting at 6:00. 50 maybe 60 fish for the day, big fish was 26". Going back Wed. for more deadsticking! Thanks to all that share their knowledge here, you had a hand in our success
Posted By: Lepisosteus.carpio

Re: Great Day on Whitney - 01/13/21 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by z289sec
The Brazos below the Whitney dam was on FIRE today too. Bank fished at the boat ramp, but everyone I saw at the ramp, came back with a bunch of hogs. Most of them, according to the ones I asked, were also caught on flukes. Someone caught a 8 or 9 pounder on a crappie jig on light tackle. Bet that was fun!

Were they releasing water from the dam? It's been very low release for quite a while. I've never seen much caught during low water.

Were folks just lined up on the bank casting and retrieving right there at the dirt ramp and parking area?

Thanks. Any info you can add is appreciated.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum