Texas Fishing Forum

Stimulus Check=New Electronics (but which one?)

Posted By: Windbreaker

Stimulus Check=New Electronics (but which one?) - 12/29/20 03:57 AM

Hey all....need some input on which electronics to get for white bass/hybrid fishing with side imaging. Right now I have a lowrance HDS-7, but I see all these pictures on here that look much clearer and better then mine.

Also, what transducer do you get to go with your electronics?

Thank you for your help! Pictures welcome!
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Stimulus Check=New Electronics (but which one?) - 12/29/20 02:30 PM

I had a Helix 7 mega G3N with side and down, but the screen was just too small for me. I went with the Elite TI2 12 inch that Cabelas ran for Black Friday for 999.00. Best decision I ever made, they can't hide now. Using the active imaging 3 in one transducer on mine.

Re: Stimulus Check=New Electronics (but which one?) - 12/30/20 12:59 AM

Thank you! Do you have any pics by chance?

Re: Stimulus Check=New Electronics (but which one?) - 12/30/20 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Windbreaker
Thank you! Do you have any pics by chance?

Of the images? I got a couple, keep in mind these are zoomed way in, so they lose a bit of clarity.

This is what I think is a decorative windmill, with the blade taken off, tied down to the bottom of the lake. Or a miniature oil rig. LOL

[Linked Image]

This a a pic of crappie on a brush pile, this is why I love this unit. Fish are super easy to pick out.

[Linked Image]

Pics aren't the greatest, but it gives you an idea.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Stimulus Check=New Electronics (but which one?) - 01/01/21 03:45 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Stimulus Check=New Electronics (but which one?) - 01/01/21 04:48 AM

z289sec, thanks for the pics. I am leaning toward the Helix Mega for sure. Now I just need to decide 7,12 or 15. Or maybe Uncle Sam will decide for me. Lol

Dryceeek!!! I love that pic. Looks just like me. Lol
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Stimulus Check=New Electronics (but which one?) - 01/01/21 04:00 PM

I have the Elite Ti 9". It is a good unit, and I am learning to use it better... still a lot smarter than I am, and not getting full use. BUT, after being on some other boats with other units, for SIDE and DOWN scanning, I would go with the Hummingbird Helix Mega unit.

IF you want LiveScope in the future, know you must have Garmin. Also, there are pre-release stuff out there for Lowrance and Hummingbird, that both will have units to compare (or beat?) the current Livescope very soon??? But will require new units with it, etc.

Just for Side and Down scanning, Helix Mega is really nice.

Go BIG - dont waste your money on 7". At least 9", and the bigger the better!

Good luck.
Ken

Re: Stimulus Check=New Electronics (but which one?) - 01/02/21 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Windbreaker
z289sec, thanks for the pics. I am leaning toward the Helix Mega for sure. Now I just need to decide 7,12 or 15. Or maybe Uncle Sam will decide for me. Lol

Dryceeek!!! I love that pic. Looks just like me. Lol

Don't get a 7. Good unit, but the screen is just too small. 9 inch minimum, IMO.

Thing I like about my Lowrance is, I didn't have to touch it, out of the box, it was spot on.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Stimulus Check=New Electronics (but which one?) - 01/02/21 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by KEGracing
I have the Elite Ti 9". It is a good unit, and I am learning to use it better... still a lot smarter than I am, and not getting full use. BUT, after being on some other boats with other units, for SIDE and DOWN scanning, I would go with the Hummingbird Helix Mega unit.

IF you want LiveScope in the future, know you must have Garmin. Also, there are pre-release stuff out there for Lowrance and Hummingbird, that both will have units to compare (or beat?) the current Livescope very soon??? But will require new units with it, etc.

Just for Side and Down scanning, Helix Mega is really nice.

Go BIG - dont waste your money on 7". At least 9", and the bigger the better!

Good luck.

Purchase the largest unit within your budget parameters. Eyesight is not a forever nor guaranteed part of living.

I will pull the trigger on one this month. Have an affinity for Lowrance the HDS live appeals to the pelagic angler.
Ken
Posted By: cliffshot

Re: Stimulus Check=New Electronics (but which one?) - 01/02/21 06:11 PM

I just bought set of Helix 9's because of seeing Dennis Christian's 9 Humminbird. Haven't installed yet but compared to the little 698 SI I have been using I can't wait.

I agree with above---Humminbird can't go wrong. and easier to learn and use

Re: Stimulus Check=New Electronics (but which one?) - 01/03/21 04:07 AM

Thanks for all the input fellas!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum