Texas Fishing Forum

Fish are fired up on Whitney!

Posted By: DavisGuideService

Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/07/20 03:26 PM

Hey guys fishing has been getting better everyday since the rain started and cooler temps! I’m loving it and so are the fish. Fall is my favorite time to chase stripers and is right around the corner! My dates are booking fast, give me a call and let’s hammer down! 817-983-8750

If your looking for somewhere to stay get with uncle Gus marina on lake Whitney, they have a cafe, 2 pools, rv spaces and cabins. Tell them your fishing with Davis guide service!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/07/20 05:28 PM

It’s great to see all the smiles. thumb
Posted By: pop r

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/07/20 10:54 PM

Looking good! clap
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/07/20 10:57 PM

Nice haul. Good job. thumb
Posted By: Z71

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/07/20 11:09 PM

Wow!
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/08/20 10:16 PM

fish clap
Posted By: mrmakAUCTIONEER

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/13/20 01:34 AM

Nive
Posted By: T- Gil

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/16/20 11:49 AM

That second to last one is GOLD!!!
Posted By: cellis

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/17/20 01:39 PM

You're putting the hammer on them! cheers
Posted By: gborg

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/18/20 12:41 PM

FYI, went to Whitney Thursday the 17th. Lake was clearly turning over, weeds, silt and other floating plant forms were as far south as the State Park. Water color was not too stained, the water at the damn dam was clear.
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/19/20 03:30 AM

I’ve noticed that as well , fish sure haven’t minded that’s for sure.

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/19/20 04:01 PM

Thats good for some. I need to fish the lake to figure out the better spots. Very few anglers on the lake Thursday. We used slabs, swim baits, little George type plus inline spinners.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/19/20 05:25 PM

Was out there monday and found areas loaded with 12-16"ers. Same conditions as gborg described. Caught 11 over 20". Still vertical slabbing. I am using large dressed J hooks on the slabs. The J hook will keep a lot of the smaller fish from hooking up and keep others from gut & gill hooking but still does a good job of hooking the bigger stripers that are within the smaller fish. Found fish all the way from Loafers Bend area to above Katy bridge. They are super aggressive and you can see several fish at a time chasing slabs all the way to the boat. Still seeing some top water activity but it seemed to be pretty sporadic Monday

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/20/20 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by 44 Diesel
Was out there monday and found areas loaded with 12-16"ers. Same conditions as gborg described. Caught 11 over 20". Still vertical slabbing. I am using large dressed J hooks on the slabs. The J hook will keep a lot of the smaller fish from hooking up and keep others from gut & gill hooking but still does a good job of hooking the bigger stripers that are within the smaller fish. Found fish all the way from Loafers Bend area to above Katy bridge. They are super aggressive and you can see several fish at a time chasing slabs all the way to the boat. Still seeing some top water activity but it seemed to be pretty sporadic Monday

All good, would like to see thread of recent trip as in Thursday to date.
Posted By: ACES82

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/20/20 02:45 PM

Out here today and getting skunked. Any advice would help greatly.
Posted By: MilesHunter

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/20/20 11:16 PM

I am using large dressed J hooks on the slabs. The J hook will keep a lot of the smaller fish from hooking up and keep others from gut & gill hooking but still does a good job of hooking the bigger stripers that are within the smaller fish.

What J hook are you using? I have been cutting one or two of the hooks off of my treble hooks but wanted to try a J hook instead, like on a lot of larger saltwater jigs.
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/20/20 11:56 PM

We went out this morning and had a hard time catching shad. We finally caught a few and headed to the McCowan flats. We caught 3 striper ( one of them was 20”) the other two were under size.on the only 4 shad we had in about 20 minutes. We went to catch more shad, finally found a nice bunch of them. By the time we got back to the flats with more shad the bite was over.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/21/20 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by MilesHunter
I am using large dressed J hooks on the slabs. The J hook will keep a lot of the smaller fish from hooking up and keep others from gut & gill hooking but still does a good job of hooking the bigger stripers that are within the smaller fish.

What J hook are you using? I have been cutting one or two of the hooks off of my treble hooks but wanted to try a J hook instead, like on a lot of larger saltwater jigs.

I get em from a place around Houston. I been using the 2/0

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/21/20 12:13 PM

Millers Fly shop online has a good variety of salt water closures.
Posted By: CenTexan

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/28/20 03:03 PM

Awesome post. I have been tied up with work for several weeks. I will be out this weekend. Hope to see you out and others as well. Cooler temps are here and the bite should be even better. I can't complain about the heat though. The Summer bite was unreal for me. I fished Whitney, Twak, RC, and CC....Whitney shined through by a large margin this year.
Posted By: CenTexan

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/28/20 03:09 PM

Awesome post. I have been tied up with work for several weeks. I will be out this weekend. Hope to see you out and others as well. Cooler temps are here and the bite should be even better. I can't complain about the heat though. The Summer bite was unreal for me. I fished Whitney, Twak, RC, and CC....Whitney shined through by a large margin this year.
Originally Posted by MilesHunter

I get em from a place around Houston. I been using the 2/0

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is the way to go guys. I keep several baits rigged with J-hooks. This is my method as I cant stand seeing young fished destroyed by obliterating their mouth or ripping their gills out with trebles. I cant tell customers or guests how to fish, but this is how I fig for myself.

Re: Fish are fired up on Whitney! - 09/29/20 11:46 AM

Two weeks coupled with cooler temps can only help, let us know how your fare !
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum