Texas Fishing Forum

Fav top water lure

Posted By: ACES82

Fav top water lure - 08/30/20 05:25 PM

Was curious, what’s everybody’s favorite top water lure for striper and sand bass? Mostly when you can sight fish and cast into them. I found these other day on amazon and they worked really well today at Whitney. Caught a few real nice size striper on them and a couple dozen about 12-14 inches long. On the way back to the ramp I ran through a huge school, followed them and the birds around for about 45 minutes catching small striper. Nothing real big today but I was just happy to be catching fish! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mwfishin

Re: Fav top water lure - 08/30/20 05:51 PM

Tiny torpedo, clear, for me
Posted By: Gordoeagle

Re: Fav top water lure - 08/30/20 06:39 PM

Good old fashioned Pop-R has never let me down.
Posted By: striper connection

Re: Fav top water lure - 08/30/20 07:16 PM

My go to has mostly been a Pop-R or pencil popper for top water but I recently have been having some success with Bob Maindell's MAL lure and have found that I can keep it on top when the fish are boiling the surface but also slow it down some and let it get a couple of feet below the surface and keep on catching fish when they are not busting the surface.

Re: Fav top water lure - 08/30/20 07:52 PM

Pop Rs are a staple with me. Love them for stock ponds!

Re: Fav top water lure - 08/30/20 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by striper connection
My go to has mostly been a Pop-R or pencil popper for top water but I recently have been having some success with Bob Maindell's MAL lure and have found that I can keep it on top when the fish are boiling the surface but also slow it down some and let it get a couple of feet below the surface and keep on catching fish when they are not busting the surface.

I ordered 4 or 5 of those last week after reading the post on here but haven’t received them yet. I tried this with a rattle trap last weekend and couldn’t keep it up high enough.
Posted By: Ringer1

Re: Fav top water lure - 08/30/20 09:18 PM

Zara Spook
Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Re: Fav top water lure - 08/30/20 10:58 PM

Whopper Plopper
Posted By: beltonbill

Re: Fav top water lure - 08/31/20 12:38 AM

Heddon Baby Torpedo in clear or chrome works really well. Be careful with the two sets of treble hooks. I cut them off and replace them with barbless hooks. More catching and less unhooking.
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: Fav top water lure - 08/31/20 12:56 PM

Heddon Spit'n Image
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/01/20 03:31 AM

Clear Chug Bug banana
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/01/20 10:41 AM

Hummmm? Probably a #4 Mepps spinner.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/01/20 01:50 PM

Pencil popper

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/02/20 12:33 AM

Amazon....here I come! Lol. Thanks for all the input everybody. Nice to see what everybody’s favorite is. My fav has always been a Pop R for bass. Haven’t used them for stripers or sandies yet, but will soon!
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/02/20 02:59 AM

Chug bug in different colors and size
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/03/20 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by beltonbill
Heddon Baby Torpedo in clear or chrome works really well. Be careful with the two sets of treble hooks. I cut them off and replace them with barbless hooks. More catching and less unhooking.

Great idea going barbless. You lose surprisingly few fish.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/03/20 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Curt0407

Good intel, also easier to remove from an extremity which happens during a catching frenzy.
Posted By: Chris Richardson

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/03/20 01:45 PM

A bone spook walked correctly is hard to beat. Love that topwater bite!
Posted By: G Love

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/10/20 01:40 PM

One Knocker Spook or Spit'n Image.

But there are a few situations where I'll def throw a Whopper Plopper over those two.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/10/20 02:49 PM

I like ripping a CC Spoon banana peep
Posted By: prosise

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/10/20 03:04 PM

Norman front runner.. Don't know if you all remember this bait, I bought a ton of them back in the 90's. Won several small bass tournaaments with this little thing in front of a jumping minnow.. looks real good in the water, looks like the jumping minnow is chasing a shad. Flat poison on a topwater bite. This is a stock photo from the web.

[Linked Image]

Prosise
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/10/20 04:04 PM

3 1/2 " Rapala Skitter Pop shad color. [Linked Image]
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/10/20 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Curt0407

And when (not if) a fish hooks you, you'll be glad you did!

Zara Spook for me!
Posted By: Anthony Carson

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/12/20 11:02 AM

Clear tiny torpedo. It’s what my dad showed me when I was a kid and I just never changed
Posted By: MC Gybe

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/12/20 01:27 PM

I was out at Texoma yesterday catching 12 to 14 inch stripers using a 4 inch pencil popper. However, I had a lot of misses and about half of the fish I caught were hooked on the outside of the mouth. Would a smaller luer have helped?
Posted By: Slicefixer

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/14/20 03:28 AM

Man, hard to pick one.... so I won't....😉

Clear tiny or baby torpedo

Bone colored Pop-R

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/14/20 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by MC Gybe
I was out at Texoma yesterday catching 12 to 14 inch stripers using a 4 inch pencil popper. However, I had a lot of misses and about half of the fish I caught were hooked on the outside of the mouth. Would a smaller luer have helped?

I had the same thing happen to me on Whitney. I decided to try a 4 inch Zara Spook, there were a lot of misses, they would come up and "pop" it knocking it up out of the water. They few i did catch on it, only 1 was hooked in the mouth, the other 2 were outside and on top of the head. Went back to my smaller topwater and started catching more. Think the bigger topwaters are to big for smaller(i was catching them about 12-18 inches long).
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/17/20 02:12 AM

I ordered a couple of the Berkley Spin Bombs because of this thread. Neat lures. Lots of propeller action. Reasonably priced too.

I've had great success catching black bass with Rebel Pop-Rs and similar lures over the years. I recently bought a couple of smaller Whopper Ploppers and had good success with them already.

I love fishing with topwater lures. I look forward to trying topwater lures for the savage white bass.

Re: Fav top water lure - 09/17/20 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by FishAdmirer
I ordered a couple of the Berkley Spin Bombs because of this thread. Neat lures. Lots of propeller action. Reasonably priced too.

I've had great success catching black bass with Rebel Pop-Rs and similar lures over the years. I recently bought a couple of smaller Whopper Ploppers and had good success with them already.

I love fishing with topwater lures. I look forward to trying topwater lures for the savage white bass.

Let us know how you like them. They’re pretty neat, work great in my experience.
Posted By: MBF

Re: Fav top water lure - 12/17/20 03:17 AM

My fav is a near Nuthin. Solid plastic for distance. Super for summer schools.

Attached picture 75321AE5-C9FB-4615-A800-AD0964B153EC.jpeg
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Fav top water lure - 12/17/20 04:33 PM

MBF where can you buy the near nuthin. Searched the internet and can't find any for sale.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Fav top water lure - 12/17/20 11:54 PM

130mm Whopper Plopper
6-7" Pencil Popper

either one really Had a great fall with both.
Posted By: DJTripleR

Re: Fav top water lure - 12/22/20 11:47 PM

I am gonna answer for myself and John Varner! The Big Poppa Dogg in Red and White combo........then Pencil popper or Zara Spook

Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Fav top water lure - 12/23/20 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by SteveStrasemeier
MBF where can you buy the near nuthin. Searched the internet and can't find any for sale.

Definitely hard to find, I snagged one off the internet a few months back (now if I can remember where I stashed it). . Some of the old out of the way lake area or marina stores might have some but like a needle in a haystack. confused 3
[Linked Image]

Re: Fav top water lure - 12/23/20 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Scoundrel

Definitely hard to find, I snagged one off the internet a few months back (now if I can remember where I stashed it). . Some of the old out of the way lake area or marina stores might have some but like a needle in a haystack. confused 3
[Linked Image]

Those are a needle in a haystack! Some of the best ones are hard to find.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Fav top water lure - 12/23/20 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by ACES82
Originally Posted by Scoundrel

Those are a needle in a haystack! Some of the best ones are hard to find.

Near Nuthin and a Bill Norman Wounded Flash, can’t beat those two oldies on top water bite.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Fav top water lure - 12/23/20 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Outfitter Nomore
Whopper Plopper

thumb
Posted By: gene lewallen

Re: Fav top water lure - 12/24/20 01:11 AM

x2 on the wounded flash anyone have any to sale
Posted By: MBF

Re: Fav top water lure - 12/27/20 12:59 AM

Anne’s Tackle in Jasper has them (Near Nuthin). The only size they have is the small. Still nicely weighted.
Not sure if Anne ships... I can always pick some up and ship them if they don’t.
Posted By: Bassman_78

Re: Fav top water lure - 12/27/20 01:40 AM

Mirrolure 7M11, or 4M11 if I want to get below the frenzy
Posted By: Jamoke

Re: Fav top water lure - 12/28/20 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by MBF
Anne’s Tackle in Jasper has them (Near Nuthin). The only size they have is the small. Still nicely weighted.
Not sure if Anne ships... I can always pick some up and ship them if they don’t.

I called the shop and spoke with Debra, Anne's daughter, I was able to order a few boxes. She does ship, and they have 3 boxes of 6 lures left, $4.99 per individual lure plus flat rate shipping. She was fantastic to work with!! Thanks So Much, I have been looking for this lure!!
Posted By: FishWrangler2

Re: Fav top water lure - 12/28/20 11:13 PM

I second the Excalibur’s Spit’in image. On lakes, i think you need some pop because depth and chop. Also done well with chug bugs.
Posted By: Windbreaker

Re: Fav top water lure - 12/29/20 03:08 AM

I order these top water baits on amazon for less than $2 a piece. They are a suspending bait, but I fill the mouth with silicone and I use them as a top water. They are kinda like a KVD sexy dawg. But they are perfect for white bass. The white bass love them and they are cheap so when I bring friends and they lose them, it’s not costing me a fortune.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum