Texas Fishing Forum

For Those Nighttime Fishermen Out There

Posted By: Laner

For Those Nighttime Fishermen Out There - 08/06/20 05:12 PM

Before I left for the coast to run offshore stuff, I was having a lot of fun toying around with a new rig for fishing at night under the lights. I took a Thump Boss (I prefer the White Hot or Carney Man color scheme) and rigged it weightless on a bucktail fly with a 4/0 hook. I had success on magnum sandies and hyrbrid striper, and have since been throwing around lights here in Port O'Connor for speckled trout. What I am really excited about is throwing this setup under the lights during the fall for double digit striper and hyrbrids. Regardless, I'm just having fun trying something new.

Most of my success has come while using 15-20lb mono or floro (depending on water clarity), spooled on a Pfleuger President spinning reel on a 7ft G Rod. I like a dock on a windblown point, and I usually won't even go out and try if the water is like glass. My favorite presentation has been to cast across the light into the shadows on the opposite side of me, let the bait sink down a good ways, then either twitch/pause to let the bait rise and sink erratically, or reel in VERY slowly.

I used this same weightless rig A LOT during the spring/early summer staged about 24" above a 3/4 ounce slab, and really had a lot of success guiding for all the striped fish that live around DFW. I'm not getting the same good results right now during the day while using it above a slab, but I imagine that will change when fall and winter roll back around and those big fish start hammering artificial baits again as water temps drop.

I hope this helps!

3.8" Carney Man Thump Boss on a bucktail fly with a 4/0 hook
[Linked Image]
Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

Re: For Those Nighttime Fishermen Out There - 08/06/20 05:48 PM

Cool stuff!!!
Posted By: gborg

Re: For Those Nighttime Fishermen Out There - 08/06/20 05:49 PM

Works with a pink clouser as well .
Posted By: ATM97

Re: For Those Nighttime Fishermen Out There - 08/08/20 12:39 AM

First year I have night fished and after trying multiple different baits and colors came to settle on the carney man thump boss as the best bait. Used it on 1/4 oz head slow rolled thru lights. Not sure how many I caught on that rig but it was alot

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Laner

Re: For Those Nighttime Fishermen Out There - 08/08/20 02:16 PM

I have not tried it with the pink klouser under the lights yet gborg, but I have used a pink one while tandem rigging these baits above a Slab.

ATM96, what size hook are you using?
Posted By: ATM97

Re: For Those Nighttime Fishermen Out There - 08/08/20 05:16 PM

Not sure. Redgun poured all different sized weight and hook combos to try but would guess it it is 1/0
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: For Those Nighttime Fishermen Out There - 08/08/20 10:19 PM

Very nice
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: For Those Nighttime Fishermen Out There - 08/08/20 11:06 PM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum