Texas Fishing Forum

Fiberglass vs Aluminum

Posted By: AustinWader

Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/05/20 03:56 PM

Hey y'all,
I fish Lake Buchanan mostly for Whites/Striper and similarly sized lakes. Will also fish bay fish in Galveston couple times a year. I've been looking for a used 1-3 year boats for around a month now and have always been looking at fiberglass. I just started looking into some aluminum boats such as the ranger 19RP or Alumacraft 18 SW Bay. What do you guys think is best for my needs? Will a fiberglass be much superior compared to a aluminum boat for my type of fishing?
Also, to make for sure, any boat with a carpet will get wrecked by saltwater correct? Are bass boats absolutely a no-no if I do plan to fish inshore? (Ranger Rt188)
Thanks!
Posted By: CamoKing

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/05/20 06:13 PM

Look into the War Eagle 961 Blackhawk.. I have one.. beats others hands down.. IMO.. I fish primarily fresh water but fished port aransas several times as well with it... Aluminum
Posted By: rebait

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/05/20 07:21 PM

I like fiberglass because the tend to be quieter and smoother running, but they take more HP so more expensive. Lots of great aluminum boats out there and are more popular at the coast all the time. I do like the center console as the best all around boat for fishing. As many before me have said, you never have a perfect boat. All boats have tradeoffs. Always hard to tell someone else what the best boat will be for their uses. Lake Buchanan fishing in the open water, I have a 19' and many times wish I had a 22'. It can get rough out there in a hurry. Yes if I never have another boat with carpet it will be too soon. Would never have taken my bass boat to the coast. To much electronics.
PS also don't go to the coast with a metal trailer, aluminum only in my opinion.
Good Luck
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/05/20 07:36 PM

for whites and stripers I say fiberglass, especially if you are going to thump.
Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/05/20 08:04 PM

Fiberglass is also a very superior ride aluminum boats are light and will beat you up...lighter boat with fuel economy that can run with less horsepower etc. fiberglass imo
Posted By: PlanoKeith

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/05/20 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by rebait
. As many before me have said, you never have a perfect boat. All boats have tradeoffs.
Good Luck

I have the perfect boat. LOL I got what i wanted and it is a beast. I have been out at tawakoni in 30 mph winds and this thing handles it and we stay dry... Just kidding i love my boat though :

I like fiberglass because it is easier to clean. I went with the big four stroke and don't use much gas and this boat is heavy. I haven't been to the coast yet but i am sure it will do fine. It's 22 foot 6 inches and almost 9 feet wide OMG

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Piscivore

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/06/20 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by BrandoA
for whites and stripers I say fiberglass, especially if you are going to thump.

Why is thumping better in fiberglass? I would figure that aluminum would be more conducive to thumping.
Posted By: CamoKing

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/06/20 01:37 AM

Much more..... Aluminum lasts forever...
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/06/20 01:50 AM

I thump in my Lund all the time. If you are going to run a smaller boat, less than 20’ aluminum is cheaper, as they get bigger and the motor gets bigger the difference in price gets smaller. For smaller boats Aluminum boats require smaller motors and are not as fast. Flat bottom bass boats cannot handle wind/waves safely IMHO. I have a Lund deep V which manages better but it is definitely a tougher ride when it’s choppy as you don’t have the weight to cut through the waves.
Posted By: enjoying retirement

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/07/20 12:37 AM

I fish for sand bass and hybrids I mainly fish Richland Chambers and it can get choppy. My first boat was a fiber glass boat my next boat was an aluminum boat I have never regreated switching. As far as the ride it depends on the type of boat you get. With an aluminum boat it does not take much wind to blow you around where a fiber glass boat does not get pushed around so easily. My first aluminum boat was a deep vee boat my next and current boat is an Xpress H17 when the water gets to be pretty choppy instead of running wide open I idel back some so it does not beat me to death. Because aluminum boats are lighter they do not require a large engine, they can also be launched in shalower water. With my Xpress boat launching and trailering it is pretty easy. I would recommend that if you know of some one that has a fiber glass boat and some one else that has an aluminum boat go out with them and try them out to see which one you like as both boats have there pros and cons to them. Hope this helps you which boat you decide to get I am sure you will enjoy it.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/07/20 01:34 PM

I agree with everything above especially the idea of riding in different boats if you can. I went with fiberglass, my boat takes rough water really well, it’s a dry ride and I can get in and out quickly. I work 60-70 hours each week so I go fishing when I can and I can’t pick the weather or wind conditions. If you have a lot of time off or are retired it probably won’t make a difference. You can choose nice weather each trip. My boat will hold several people and all of our equipment. [Linked Image]
Posted By: beowulf77

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/07/20 01:35 PM

I've got the same thoughts as the OP. I have a SeaArk 180XV SC and it thumps well, and is very stable but have really been looking at fiberglass CC for Buchanan and the coast. I've got it down to two that will fit in my garage... Blue Wave 1902 Evo or the NauticStar 1810. Both seem like great boats to me. I want fiber for the family as I have young kids and it just seems easier for them to deal with/cleaner. My dad has an Alumacraft CC and it is a very nice boat too.
Posted By: PlanoKeith

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/07/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by beowulf77
I I've got it down to two that will fit in my garage... Blue Wave 1902 Evo or the NauticStar 1810. Both seem like great boats to me. I want fiber for the family as I have young kids and it just seems easier for them to deal with/cleaner.

I am not knocking Bluewave but when i was shopping for boats at the boat show the blue wave seemed to have too much flex in the fiberglass on the outer sides of the boat. Maybe they are different now. Also the blue wave 2200 pure bay was actually 21 foot 6 inches long. I went with 227 xts Nautic star it is 22 foot 6 inches and the fiberglass is solid all around. I looked at the Nauticstar 215 it is a really solid built boat . But i wanted bigger. Good luck
Posted By: beowulf77

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/07/20 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by PlanoKeith
Originally Posted by beowulf77
I I've got it down to two that will fit in my garage... Blue Wave 1902 Evo or the NauticStar 1810. Both seem like great boats to me. I want fiber for the family as I have young kids and it just seems easier for them to deal with/cleaner.

I am not knocking Bluewave but when i was shopping for boats at the boat show the blue wave seemed to have too much flex in the fiberglass on the outer sides of the boat. Maybe they are different now. Also the blue wave 2200 pure bay was actually 21 foot 6 inches long. I went with 227 xts Nautic star it is 22 foot 6 inches and the fiberglass is solid all around. I looked at the Nauticstar 215 it is a really solid built boat . But i wanted bigger. Good luck

Thank you for that I will definitely keep the flex in mind when looking. Yeah I hate that the number doesn't match the length on the longer ones. It's sneaky.
Posted By: AustinWader

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/07/20 05:14 PM

I'm took a deal for an 2017 alumacraft MV 186 side console with 90 Yamaha for just 15000. How should I get it inspected? My first boat and I don't know anyone good with boats? Should I hire a mechanic? Thanks.
Posted By: prosise

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/07/20 08:47 PM

I would keep your options open until you find a killer deal, then chew it over.. I have a fiberglass because I crossed a great deal back in 94'.. I have used some aluminum at Lake powell and can tell you they are bulletproof. Very durable and can take a real beating.. In rough water the fiberglass will do better, and much more comfortable. But the newer AL hulls are surprising when you ride in one. Get the best boat that you can afford, preferably a couple years old. Good luck..
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/07/20 08:54 PM

I would get a fiberglass if storage or cost wasn't a problem. I have an aluminum center console, and it has to be a rougher ride than comparable fiberglass. It works fine for our use but would prefer fiberglass if possible.
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/07/20 10:08 PM

Aluminum almost always offers a rougher ride but I love it because I do not have to baby my SeaArk 2472 in any way. If I am bowfishing I don't have to worry about my boat hitting rocks and trees. When I am catfishing it doesnt matter if it rubs up against stick ups and trees in shallow water. The only thing I do not like about my aluminum boat is how wet it can get when the winds are over 15-20 mph. It is impossible to stay dry and not get soaked. But the PRO that I gain is how tough my boat is. I do not have to worry about anything but bringing a rain coat if its windy If it is windy outside.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/07/20 10:53 PM

I have one of each, a Nautic Star 214 XTS and 18' Crestliner Aluminum. The metal boat rarely get used, and it will run the same 44 MPH as the glass boat with 2/3's the HP.
Posted By: enjoying retirement

Re: Fiberglass vs Aluminum - 08/08/20 06:25 PM

I take it from what you are saying you bought your boat or are about to by the boat from a private party if so ask them who they have used to service the boat. If they can not tell you who has serviced the boat then go to a reputable boat dealer as they have service centers now saying that I would still check them out talk to people who have used them to see if they have been happy with their service. Alumacraft is a good boat I have a 90 Yamaha it is a two strock the engine has never given me problems I replace the water pump and the fuel filter every 3 years. Enjoy your boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum