Texas Fishing Forum

During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead

Posted By: Dennis Christian

During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/23/20 12:44 PM

Beginning about late July it gets hard to catch white bass by slabbing or jigging vertically, so many folks including guides turn to trolling the hell-pet rig. This is very effective for putting fish in the boat but is not as much fun even too the point of being boring for some of us. Years ago I discovered you can still catch lots (just as many or more) of these hard-to-catch fish without trolling. Here is how I do it:

1. First, I usually have to find fish in shallower (10 to 18 fow) water, which is not hard - there are fish at these structures in different areas of the lake.
2. As Chris Richardson mentioned in a different thread, these hard-to-catch fish want more of a horizontal presentation, so set up a medium casting distance away from where you marked fish - not right on top of them.
3. The rig: Use smaller line because lakes are clearer during these months and too big a line can spook the fish (no kidding - I experienced this myself). I use 10 lb Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon. I think the main problem this time of year is that there is a smaller hatch of shad that the fish are feeding on. Where I had been catching tons of fish on a #4 Mepps, now they will not touch it. So, I switch to a #2 silver Mepps aglia plain spinner. Now this is a very light-weight bait, so to be able to cast it and to make it sink faster I add a 3/16 to 1/4 oz mash-on weight up the line from the Mepps 12 to 15 inches.
4. The presentation: Assuming you remember where you marked fish relative to where you set up your boat (I usually throw over a marker just to one side of the fish so my guests and I can easily know where the fish are), then make a cast to the other side of the fish. Let the bait go to the bottom. Leaving just a bit of slack in the line use the rod to jerk-start the retrieve horizontally keeping the Mepps moving by retrieving without hesitation following the jerk start (i.e. keep your hand on the reel handle when you jerk-start and start reeling immediately) Don't be too subtle - give it a good jerk-start. Keep reeling for 3 to 7 turns of the reel. If no bite, then stop, let bait fall back to bottom and repeat. You may need to try different retrieval speeds to see what they want.

Those on the forum who have fished with me can vouch for the effectiveness of this technique. Give it a try and good luck!
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/23/20 03:54 PM

agreed! I will also downsize to a 1/2oz, slab/spoon that is a shorter/thinner (imitate smaller shad). Position to the side of the school of fish, cast out to them, reel a few cranks with rod tip low, then let it settle back to bottom and repeat.
Posted By: schanz

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/23/20 06:46 PM

Where is the best place to order? Can you provide a link to the plain silver #2?

Thanks!

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/23/20 08:08 PM

Here is Cabela's order site:

[img]http://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/mepps-aglia-original-plain-spinner[/img]
Posted By: silvers

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/23/20 08:54 PM

We use #2 Mepps silver blade white tail, works great
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/23/20 09:26 PM

thumb
Posted By: TCK73

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/23/20 11:07 PM

I like this technique, it has produced for me numerous times.
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/23/20 11:09 PM

cheers
Posted By: proline19_

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/24/20 12:10 AM

Amazon,,https://www.amazon.com/Sheldons-Inc-B2S-Treble-6-Ounce/dp/B001447L26/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=%232+Mepps&qid=1595549152&sr=8-10
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/24/20 01:19 PM

Headed that way in about 2 hours and will be trying this for 3 days. Should be there early enough to try it this evening. Thanks Dennis for all the heads up information.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/24/20 01:52 PM

Oh no trolling season has begun! Dam! grin
Very well written, DC, i understood and visualized everything you said. On windy days, make sure to cast with the wind cuz #2 is ultra light and waiting for it to sink requires patient, especially for me since like many, i grew up in a fast food drive thru window gotta have our now culture? Lol. I tried rigging three #2 's on my ARig one summer and caught 3 fish. But removing the fish fishes with 3 trebble hooks flopping is hazardous. Trying to locate that pic but cant find it. Doh.

Cant tell ya how many "good" conversations i had with passerby trollers while i am spot lock and catching. grin
Posted By: Ron Douthit

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/24/20 01:59 PM

I'm new to white bass and hybrid fishing this year (long time largemouth guy) and I've been using Dennis' mepps technique for the last month on Cedar Creek. I caught 21 fish yesterday morning before work on #4 white/chartreuse (I couldn't find silver in stock at the time) -- including one 22" hybrid.

I've never tried trolling but I think it's safe to say I like this technique much better. In fact, I don't like the vertical jigging with spoon technique that much either. I guess after 40 years of casting, the other techniques just don't feel as much like fishing to me -- but that's a personal thing.

Dennis, have you had to move shallow and resort to #2 yet ? The #4 in 25 fow seems to still be working well for me on CC.

I have to once again say thanks for Dennis. Without everything he has shared about his techniques and his Cedar Creek map, I'd probably still be lost and frustrated as a new white bass/hybrid fisherman.
Posted By: Chris Richardson

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/24/20 02:09 PM

Absolutely true Dennis!

Trolling just doesn't do it for me.

The same thing can be done with a small flatter profile slab that flutters more, but the mepps is king in August/Sept no doubt. The little things you mentioned a true difference makers.

You certainly have them dialed in, and have help so many others do the same!
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/24/20 02:28 PM

Will this technique work at night?
Posted By: CenTexan

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/24/20 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by FishAdmirer
Will this technique work at night?

Yes sir it will. Used it last night on RC.
Posted By: CenTexan

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/24/20 05:46 PM

I find my Sand Bass schools just like the Striper Schools in the other post. I like to set up 20-30 feet away and cast to them. When you're sitting still, the school looks like a long cloud on side scan. You will actually see if Hybrid move through as well. Some people have a hard time throwing the # 2's and even the 4's. Here is my little secret deadly weapon. Its the Booyah Boo Rig Alpine. Its only a 1/4 oz. and smaller than your hand. They cast a mile and sink fast. Helps that Mepps track low. And you're still a single hook which is what I prefer. The Hybrid and Striper will jump on it too, but its a killer paired with a Mepps on Sand Bass. And you can buy 10 of these for only $5 at overstockbait.com. This is also good for avoiding the dreaded "You're in my trolling lane" encounters. You can sit out of the way and catch 5 or 6 before they get turned around...lol. It's Friday...y'all catch em up and have a good weekend!

https://www.overstockbait.com/produ...k7q_m6gIVzsDACh2cpAaWEAQYAiABEgIKyfD_BwE

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/24/20 09:21 PM

Thanks for the good info, cenTexan!
Posted By: SSutton

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/24/20 10:33 PM

CenTexan thanks for the info! Ordered me some!!!!
Posted By: Gordoeagle

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/25/20 12:46 AM

I’m a Mepps disciple but do not enjoy using the #2 in high winds. I have found an Acme Kastmaster can work with a similar presentation yet has a little more weight with a similar profile. Found 30 today using this technique by what I believe is called the rock pile.

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/25/20 03:31 AM

I bought a couple of Mepps #2 Spinners at Academy today and will give the technique a try and report back. I also have some Acme Kastmaster spoons I’ll try as well.

I’m getting my new fish finder dialed in too. I hope to get white bass fishing down soon.

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/25/20 12:07 PM

[/quote]Dennis, have you had to move shallow and resort to #2 yet ? The #4 in 25 fow seems to still be working well for me on CC.[quote]

Ron, they are still biting #4's and on deeper strictures, but it could change any day.
Posted By: gborg

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/25/20 12:10 PM

Half ounce cotton Cordell silver slab slow rolled off bottom works well. Its the small profile moved horizontally that entices a strike. Good intel DC.
Posted By: justchillin

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/26/20 01:18 AM

Caught them today on a #4 Mepps in 14 to 16 Ft. 3 nice hybrids and several good sand bass. What size Kastmaster are you guys buying ?

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/26/20 04:12 AM

I attempted to use the Mepps technique tonight with the #2 plain silver spinner and split shot but the wind made it tough. No luck. I'll keep trying.
Posted By: RussellWayne

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/28/20 04:00 PM

Headed to cedar creek in a couple of weeks. Are there any bait shops in gun barrel city?

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/28/20 05:18 PM

Ordered one of the Booyah Boo Alpine Rigs to try. Seems like it could be deadly on white bass with a Mepps spinner or spoon!
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/28/20 08:24 PM

I have some smaller aRigs.....gonna try loading the center with a mepps tomorrow. Thanks to all of you great minds on this thread!

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/30/20 11:18 AM

[/quote]Headed to cedar creek in a couple of weeks. Are there any bait shops in gun barrel city?

russellwayne: No, but there is one called the Tackle Shop going north out of Malakoff on Hwy 198. They carry Mepps.
Posted By: gborg

Re: During trolling season you don't have to troll - cast a #2 Mepps instead - 07/30/20 01:00 PM

Anyone tried using a one ounce egg sinker, barrel swivel, two foot tag line attached to pet spoon ? Can be used exactly like the Mepps technique and it works. May need to experiment with weight size for personal preference .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum