Texas Fishing Forum

Minn Kota Ulterra

Posted By: learnin to fish

Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/21/20 12:07 AM

I just bought a new boat and was looking at putting an Ulterra on it. I have a couple questions to ask. There is a Ulterra with a Mega downscan and a regular Ulterra. Does the regular Ulterra that is $500 cheaper (without the Mega on it) have any kind of transducer? I have also seen lots of negative reviews on the Ulterra. Does anyone have an opinion good or bad? I had a Motorguide XI5 on the old boat and not a lick of trouble with it and I used it weekly for years. Should I go back with a Motorguide? Only reason I was looking at the Ulterra was for the auto-deploy feature.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/21/20 12:17 AM

The base model ulterra come with a built in universal 2d transducer.
Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/21/20 01:40 AM

Bought mine in 2017 No trouble at all, the one thing you must stay on is the adjustment for the belt that deploys and raises the motor. Most complaints I have come across was the belt slipping. Simple to adjust . I love mine as it saves my back and I can deploy or pickup from anywhere in the boat.
Posted By: MilesHunter

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/21/20 01:45 PM

I’ve had mine for maybe six months and love it. I usually fish 3-4 days per week and use it all the time. Only problem I’ve had was that it got out of sync and the motor was facing the wrong direction as it stowed. Took about 30 seconds to fix. I’ve used it to launch alone, just like the Ulterra commercial. I’ve got a bad back and it’s nice being able to push a button to stow and deploy. Especially in rough water. No need to walk all the way to the bow and lean over. I would buy it again for sure.
Posted By: JWC Nauticstar

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/21/20 07:41 PM

I have had mine 3 years (Saltwater Version) and It has been trouble free. I use it launch the boat 95% of the time. I do need to get a bracket to mount one of my transducers to it. I don't have my front graph working since I need that fancy bracket to have the cord spin with the motor.
No big deal since I don't use the front of my boat that much now that I don't have to pull a rope to deploy my trolling motor.

I did have it just turn itself off the other day in the stowed position and I don't know what caused that. That's been it for me.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/22/20 12:43 AM

Any thoughts on the Mega Down Scan vs the 2D version? Is it worth the $500 price tag? My old boat I had the downscan/sidescan on the console graph. I just used the front graph to see what was happening on the front of the boat.

I had a local dealer tell me today that I should buy the saltwater version as Minn Kota wouldn’t warranty if it’s been in any Brazos river lakes. Said they are too salty. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/22/20 01:43 PM

I got the riptide Ulterra for 2 yrs now after MK fixed their 1st gen bugs. My fav electronic on my boat. Sell your first born if you have to and get one.

Helpful tips : make sure you completely STOP before deploying or stowing. Tight all batt connections with pliers instead hand tight. The colar takes up about 8" so go longer shaft.

I like simplicity so no transducer on front. But if you fish up front often, get one with transducer of preference.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/22/20 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by learnin to fish

I had a local dealer tell me today that I should buy the saltwater version as Minn Kota wouldn’t warranty if it’s been in any Brazos river lakes. Said they are too salty. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?
I say false

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/22/20 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by learnin to fish
Any thoughts on the Mega Down Scan vs the 2D version? Is it worth the $500 price tag? My old boat I had the downscan/sidescan on the console graph. I just used the front graph to see what was happening on the front of the boat.

The Mega Di/SI models only work with Hummingbird graphs so if you dont already have one that that into consideration. As for the Brazos about all I can say is find a different dealer.
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/22/20 02:18 PM

I've had one for 2 yrs and love it.
Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/22/20 03:05 PM

I've had my Ulterra for a year now on my new boat...and absolutely love it! No more pulling ropes, and no more tossing out buoys to mark brush/schools of fish...just drop the motor and spot lock on the coordinates...so saves your back with the buoys as well...2 for 1.

I launch my boat about 60% of the time using the TM as well...much easier when launching by yourself wink
Posted By: ThaDudeAbides

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/23/20 10:17 PM

i use livescope so i would spend the extra dough on the i-link feature so i could automatically go to waypoints. the mega built in is not a necessity for me.
Posted By: Slab Killa

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/23/20 11:01 PM

I love mine although it’s 2 years old and has been at Boris Marine having the steering box replaced. His words were the insides are gutted.

So, somehow I managed to destroy the internals of the steering box.

Hope to have it back next week if they can get the parts.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/26/20 02:01 AM

One more question for the group if you don’t mind. I am rethinking buying the 60” Ulterra and need some advice before I install it and don’t have the ability to return it. I am now thinking I need a 72”. There is 36” from the rubrail on the front of my boat to the water. Is the 60” long enough to fish in choppy water? My old boat I sold was not as tall and had a 52” trolling motor that would come out of the water in waves but was a smaller boat. What are y’all running? I am putting this on a Nautic Star 231 Hybrid and it sits up in the water. I don’t want to over think this but it would be. $2,500 mistake if I’m wrong.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/26/20 02:12 AM

Had to google pics of your model boat. It sure looks taller then the average bay boat that sized. Go with the 72", you can always trip it up but you cant make it longer. Also definitely go with the 36v.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/26/20 02:35 AM

I think I will do that. Hard to find a 72” Unlterra but can find a 72” Riptide Ulterra. Do you know if the Riptides have a 2D transducer in them? I can’t find that info anywhere on the website.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/26/20 02:38 AM

No transducer and no foot pedal on the Riptide.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/26/20 02:49 AM

One more question. Would you mount it straight with the boat to keep the bow open or would you mount at an angle so the shaft comes down straight in the middle of the boat? That would take up a lot of bow room. Thanks so much for all the help.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum