Texas Fishing Forum

Troller v Slabber - Etiquette

Posted By: Skippy

Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/20/20 08:33 PM

I had an incident this morning where a guide got upset and began to lecture me about “fishing etiquette”. Although I’ve been fishing for 40 years, the huge majority of that was bass fishing so I’m not totally familiar with “trolling etiquette” so I thought I’d see what people on here thought. For the past three mornings, this guide and I have been fishing the same point. He is trolling. I am slabbing. Not surprisingly, we found fish in the same area/depth. He was trolling on a line about 250 yards long. I’ve watched him go back and forth for three days. I tried to be respectful and cast to the fish but they hit much better if I could get on top and drop down to them. Eventually, I try to get on top of them and stay out of his way as best as I could. If he was trolling 250 yards, I tried to get outside his line (at the “255 mark”) Evidently, I did not. So, each day, he would pass literally within a foot of my boat. I ignored him and just looked at it like it’s a public lake and there are plenty of fish for everyone. Today, I got sick of trying to stay out of his way so I tried a couple of other spots but couldn’t find them anywhere like they were stacked at this one point. So I went back a couple hours later, and he was still there. Back and forth. I did my usual and this time, he passed within six inches of my boat and started bitching about how it’s fishing etiquette to stay out of his way. I told him I didn’t know what his exact “line” was and figured he could veer ten feet off his course for basically 2% of his line. Also worth noting, he had been running this line for literally four hours. I was there before him this morning and know when he started. Anyway, I know we’re getting into the trolling season and although I don’t like it, I definitely understand guides doing it to make their customers happy. I want to be as friendly with them as possible. They’re usually good dudes and very helpful. In fact, I had another guide in the same area who was able to go around me and was even helping me out. Let me know your thoughts on this. I’ve never had it come up but it’ll come up tomorrow morning again!
Posted By: Tin Star Cajun

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/20/20 09:33 PM

Isn't State law require him to not drive a boat within 50' of a boat that is stationary?
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/20/20 09:50 PM

What lake?

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/20/20 09:54 PM

Tawakoni.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/20/20 10:36 PM

I was with a pair of guide brothers on Lake Texoma, about 25 years ago. There was quite a boat show , but everyone playing nice except one
boat that would troll right thru the crowd. On one pass , the crazy brother said " that is a little too close" to which the other boat said " I will show you close on the next pass" So crazy Dave tied on the biggest slab on board. Hands me the rod , says sail this across their transom if they come back.
Sure enough , they came back thru , even closer, I made the cast let it sink and start slow rolling it back. Once I hooked up ,, Dave says, set the hook and yell, I follow directions and get two or three of their lines back to our transom . Dave looked at the mess and cut
all the lines , leaving them to reel back empty. They were pissed , words spoken , but they did not troll thru the boat show again.
Your mileage may vary ,

MO
Posted By: Texas Grown

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/20/20 10:50 PM

From the TP&W web sight.

Operation of your Boat: It is unlawful to - https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/boating/operation-of-your-boat

TP&W Safety tips - https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/safety/safety_tips/

Texas Boating Laws - https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/laws/index.phtml
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/20/20 11:56 PM

I don't troll, but I have no issue with most that do, its just another technique. If I see a boat making a troll, I will see what his line is and fish out of his way. If I am on the spot first, and they have not showed up yet, it is up to them to be courteous. I have had a few get close enough for me to read the tramp stamp on their client, that's too close. I normally fish in trees, so they don't come too close but once.

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/21/20 01:51 AM

I agree. Although I may be about to have to take it up. My kid is finally getting interested in fishing and I don’t know how much longer I can convince him to slab when the trolling guide Is catching five to our one on slabs. And I’m with you, I try to stay out of their way just as I’d want them to work around me if I was on a spot. That said, I was trying to work with him by casting to the spot and then trying to get on the outside of “his” line. I don’t mean this to turn into trollers versus fishermen (yes, that was a shot) I just want to know what we should expect from one another. It’s a 30,000 acre lake. No two boats should ever be six inches away from each other.
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/21/20 01:54 AM

I've observed this tension since the 1970's. For the troller: To ensure people know your trolling lane and length so they can honor it, put out markers at each end. If someone sets up within your marked lane, stop and politely explain that you are trolling and have the lane marked as you point to the markers. They may not have realized they set up in your lane. If you arrive at your spot and it is already taken by a slabber, then find fish elsewhere or at least keep a respectable distance and be courteous to the slabber - he got there 1st. For the slabber: If you approach your desired spot and someone is trolling it, first look to see if he has the beginning and end of the trolling lane marked with markers. Then keep out of his lane. If there are no markers, I think the courteous thing to do is to watch and observe his trolling lane. If he is going back and forth over the same spot, take note of it and stay out of his lane. Set up a long casting distance away from his lane and learn to catch fish by working the bait back to the boat, else go find fish somewhere else.

It is possible to cooperate and fish the same structure. At Lake Livingston, the submerged bridges are the best fishing spots. So, the slabbers would anchor just off to the side of the bridge or roadbed and cast to the submerged bridge. The trollers would troll on top of the submerged bridge from one end to the other. These bridges were from 50 to 75 yards long and trollers went a good 20 yards past each end so their baits would still be trolling as the baits passed over the end of the bridge. When the trollers got to the spot on the bridge being fished by the slabbers, the slabbers waited until they passed, then continued casting again. Both were able to fish the bridge (the only place anyone could catch a fish) and catch fish.
Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/21/20 02:13 AM

This comes up all the time. I slab and troll. When I take my son with me he has a hard time slabbing so we troll mainly. I was out a Twak last Friday and had a guy move right into my trolling line. He pulled right in front of me and then got mad that I went right behind him. The next pass (7 fish in my boat and 0 in his) he was yelling at me and said he was gonna snag my line (the one held by my son). I told him I was within the law and he should try catching fish instead of yelling. He moved on. We encountered another 6 or so boats over the next few hours. Everyone caught fish and had fun. We did have one guy spot lock right in the middle of our line. We just cruised by and waved. He was just trying to catch sone fish too the way I look at it.

To answer your question, I wish people would just get along. It’s a lot more fun that way. Neither one of you own the lake. It was awesome last week seeing a bunch of boats catch a lot of fish and everyone be respectful of each other.
Posted By: prosise

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/21/20 02:35 AM

Last time I was informed first come first serve. Although I like to see people get on fish, guide has a job and it feeds his family. I typically step aside for a guide, until I see something that is not on the level. But if one would troll that close to my boat I would share that little video with the game warden. I think all can meet upon the level, and part upon the square to make things right. No sense in any drama, life is too short. I would call the game warden and let them handle it. Go catch some fish and purge this distraction feom your mind. I know it's screwing up your joy in fishing..

Prosise

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/21/20 02:52 AM

I get having a “spot”. But a slabber has a “spot”. Does a troller get a football field? It doesn’t seem fair to me.

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/21/20 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Skippy
I get having a “spot”. But a slabber has a “spot”. Does a troller get a football field? It doesn’t seem fair to me.

I hear you. The guide you are referencing does not own the lake any more than you or I do. When I troll I usually make passes of 30-40 yards. It’s sort of amazing how often a slabber picks a spot right about where they think we are hooking up with fish. I don’t take issue with this unless they try to act like I need to change what I’m doing because they camped in a spot I was obviously working. It’s more fun when we all catch fish.

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/21/20 05:40 AM

Interesting perspective. This is why I asked. I’ve never trolled so I don’t know. If I’d listened to my 14 year old kid, we would have parked right in the middle of this guy’s line. Like I said, I tried to be respectful. All of that said, if he pulls within six inches of me again, I’m going to log with Mo’s idea - tie on a cheap 2 oz slab and toss it behind his boat.
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/21/20 12:42 PM

Yes, it is the nature of the beast that a troller's spot is going to be larger than a slabber's spot. Try to have this attitude, if trolling was the only way "I" could catch fish, then I would be trolling also and I don't blame the person for trolling. If you are catching fish every cast and trollers nearby are watching you, offer to show them what you are doing - bait, technique, depth, etc. I think most people would rather catch them without having to troll (more fun). Having said that, on hot,still days trolling helps cool you down.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/21/20 02:20 PM

50 feet. If that is true boat violate that at PK all the time. If I go out during the day, I'm constantly dodging grankid pullers. In the past this was not the case, but now days weekdays are like weekends and weekends like the 4th of July. Yesterday ( monday) the cliffs marina ramp was a zoo.
Posted By: PlanoKeith

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/21/20 03:19 PM

LOL I bet you are talking about the Greenville pump station. That is a trolling highway roflmao Everytime i go there there is a Troller in the area .
We don't troll and if there is one in the area i go to another spot on the lake to getaway from them
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/21/20 03:21 PM

Great question....

As a guide (and on Tawakoni) this is something that we always deal with.

Here is how I look at it. It’s obvious as we get into the later part of the summer, fishing gets easier for customers when we troll (mostly for white Bass).

If I am going to troll an area that holds fish and there is a boat already there that is slabbing I’m going to move on and try more areas. Or, look for fish on the same structure...just within a reasonable distance away from those who are slabbing). It’s not fair or right to come in on a fisherman and run my big motor over fish that he found first and run within feet of his boat to try and catch them. I should have got their first...and I didn’t so it’s time for me to move on (or....join in with the slabbing technique)

Now, on the other hand if I’m trolling an isolated area holding fish and a fisherman rolls in and decided to drop his trolling motor and proceed to start fishing in or very near the line I’ve been fishing...that’s just not right.

Most likely the fisherman just doesn’t realize where my line is or maybe even hasn’t even noticed that I was even trolling. I like to give fishermen the benefit of the doubt and just simply approach them nicely and let them know where my line is.

Most of the time it’s received well...and a few times it hasn’t. I generally will stay and continue trolling but if it becomes a issue I will move on to another area.

Bottom line, if a boat is trolling a line, don’t come into their line and start slabbing. And, vise versa. However, it works pretty good to join the troll line...just keep moving when u hook up so that u don’t stop the boat behind you.

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/21/20 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Skippy
Interesting perspective. This is why I asked. I’ve never trolled so I don’t know. If I’d listened to my 14 year old kid, we would have parked right in the middle of this guy’s line. Like I said, I tried to be respectful. All of that said, if he pulls within six inches of me again, I’m going to log with Mo’s idea - tie on a cheap 2 oz slab and toss it behind his boat.

Let me know if you want to learn about trolling. I know a lot of slabbers see it as an inferior way of fishing. Having 3 lines hook up with 2 fish each is fun though. During the hottest times of summer (right now) it produces the most fish for me.

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/21/20 06:23 PM

Good perspective Capt Michael LittleJohn! I see it similarly.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/21/20 06:38 PM

Hellbender and pet spoons still the go to bait for trolling? Asking for a friend.
Posted By: prosise

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/21/20 11:11 PM

Had to replace the steering cable in the boat, while picking up parts i had the chance to chew the fat with one of the 5 game wardens in our area. He said the guide did not break any laws, "was he being a jerk, yea". Different rules for pcw's but boats no. That was his words, he said hes busy with drinking boaters and can't wait till deer season. Just a fyi

Good luck and hopefully you will get it taken care of..
Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/22/20 12:11 AM

Serious die hard trollers do Not enter boat shows,true live bait guys also rarely enter schooling fish...idiots will always exist. Maybe it does seem to be worse this year than it has been a long time or ever and I think it’s just because everybody’s bored and has went and bought a boat or has plenty of time to hit the water every lake everywhere.I’ve been really pushing let’s teach the next generation better but all we can do is try lead by example and try not to ever let it get to you but nobody’s perfect and everyone has a story! Mo I know the brothers well and I knew who it was before you even said Dave’s name but yes I’ve seen him do some crazy fun stuff “like swim under a boat and pull rod down” he is a riot!

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/22/20 02:41 AM

Keith, it was Finger Point. It seems to be the go to spot for trollers lately. Up until a couple of days ago, I was catching as many on slabs and tail spinners as the trollers. The last couple of days, it’s been 10:1 in favor of the trollers. Michael, the guide would probably tell you that I saw him catching fish on his troll and just pulled up and spot locked in the middle of his line. If never intentionally do that. I’d tell you that I was watching him and did my best to cast into the area. When that didn’t work, I tried to get outside the end of his line and drop my slab. Did he extend his line 20 yards? Was I inside his line by 20 yards? Who knows? I just wish I could have found a spot like Keith and his buddies and gotten the hell away from all of this.
Posted By: Anejo

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/22/20 01:55 PM

If I want to fish a piece of structure and there's nobody sitting on it, then it's first come first serve. I'm not going to survey a couple of hundred yards to see if someone is trolling. You can't mark off a 1/4 mile of lake to troll and say nobody else can fish there whether you're a guide or novice.
Posted By: mickeytfc

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/22/20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Anejo
If I want to fish a piece of structure and there's nobody sitting on it, then it's first come first serve. I'm not going to survey a couple of hundred yards to see if someone is trolling. You can't mark off a 1/4 mile of lake to troll and say nobody else can fish there whether you're a guide or novice.

Lots of great perspectives here and the differences show how it just depends on some factors. This post sums it up pretty well for me. I've had more guides roll up on me than guides that could ever think I potlicked on them. Known spots are known spots for pelagic bass, so the first come first serve can be kind of subjective. A lot of times if I have my kids with me, I'm not going to be too rude but if I'm going to a known spot and there's a guide there, I'm still fishing it, not going to get too close. If one doesn't get too close it, ease in with trolling motor from way farther out than most do, spot lock on, it doesn't hurt the fishing and can even help. Of course coming in hot too close can ruin it, just experience. I've had good luck just saying hey it would be nice if you would ease in from farther out next time. They might mouth off or just shrug but they usually do better next time.

To the original post, a few dozen feet is too close so anything inside of that the suggestions to video and send to the game warden, even if he doesn't act on it, I'd bet that would back most off. The whole cast a slab at them has been discussed at length over the years and though tempting, the simple reality is that is could easily be deemed assault and no matter how justified it would be I sure wouldn't want to put a hook in someone with that weight and that velocity. Just do your best to not set up right in his line, but as many said, he can't own a quarter mile of spots if he wants to troll. Thats just the way it is if one wants to choose to troll, which I often do too. Anyway, good discussion all.
Posted By: Chris Richardson

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/22/20 04:27 PM

An age-old battle indeed

When guides resort to trolling its time to hit the salt water!

If trollers are making tight loops on a "spot" its probably best not to interfere by locking on top of the fish. If they are making long passes down a contour then they shouldn't expect all other anglers to yield to their lane.

As the water temps rise the lure presentation and boat positioning relative to the school should shift from vertical to horizontal.

In a beautiful fantasy land where jiggers and trollers get along. The troller would hold true to their established lane while the jigger backs off the school far enough to hit the school with a long cast (burn and pause retrieve). The jigger would simply hold their cast as the troller passes over the school and doubles up on the infamous hell/pet combo. Then the jigger would commence to efficiently catch fish while the troller lugs along, opens another beer, and makes a big turn. Rinse and repeat...
Posted By: PlanoKeith

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/22/20 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Richardson
An age-old battle indeed

In a beautiful fantasy land where jiggers and trollers get along. The troller would hold true to their established lane while the jigger backs off the school far enough to hit the school with a long cast (burn and pause retrieve). The jigger would simply hold their cast as the troller passes over the school and doubles up on the infamous hell/pet combo. Then the jigger would commence to efficiently catch fish while the troller lugs along, opens another beer, and makes a big turn. Rinse and repeat...

THIS!!!!

Thanks Chris R this is what we do smile
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/22/20 05:22 PM

I hear ya…

Common courtesy and respect goes a long way. In the end...we’re all on the lake fishing trying to have a good time.

More times than not I just move on and find new fish if it gets like what’s mentioned above...

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/22/20 11:55 PM

I took the day off yesterday. Went out this morning, with the intent to find a new place. Tried three spots I hadn’t hit in weeks with nothing. Not even worth stopping. But on the fourth spot, I found the mother load of slab-eating sandies and hammered them with a few small hybrids and big yellows mixed in. Had the place to myself. I guess I should thank the guide for forcing me to think outside the box.
Posted By: DONLAUNDRY

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 07/23/20 03:17 AM

1978 I had a Game Warden tell me once after I was hit by a ski boat inside a No Wake Zone . To just get their TX number and call the GameWarden. If they get there soon the GW could have confiscated everything the violator had to help pay for the damages to my boat.
No telling in these liberal days of 2020 if that would still be the case. But make sure your boat is legal and in order too just in case.
Posted By: Fishmaster guy

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 08/06/20 08:51 PM

I have been fishing for over 50 years now. And chasing, whites, hybrids, and strippers for just as long. We do not troll. I have developed a method for catching them once I mark them with electronics. We have caught 100+ countless times, just like we did last Sunday and Monday. On a slow day it is 40 or so. With that said I constantly have a problem with trollers. I mark the fish and spot lock on them typically with no boats around. We cast to a spot and catch them. Before long the boat parade will start. They see us catching and I can hear their comments (their catching them ever single cast). So they will troll away from us at first until they realize we are on them. Then they will troll closer and closer, I've had a bunch of them troll circles around us within 30 feet. Very obvious what they are doing, some are even within 10 feet. Now mind you I have never moved from the spot I started with when no boats were around. I've even had them yell at me when they caught our line. I don't understand why trollers have the mentally that they think they have the right to ruin the fishing for everyone else. I have even moved off our spot to avoid an ugly confrontation. I mark them in another spot, and low and behold here come the trollers again. I don't have the correct answer for it. But it seems some of them are OK, but there are a group of them that do not understand the boating laws and regulations. Nor did anyone teach them common decency. You know the behavior that conforms to accepted standards of morality or respectability.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Troller v Slabber - Etiquette - 08/07/20 01:41 PM

If trollers could find and more critical, catch fish, they would not need to troll ! AS for as I am concerned, trolling is not fishing. However , person(s) that guide for a living resort to this method to make a profit.

Your point and thread is a good one.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum