Texas Fishing Forum

Schooling whites

Posted By: ladybluearm

Schooling whites - 06/06/20 09:04 PM

What are the best lures to use when fishing a group of schooling whites? Thanks!
Posted By: Patrnflyr

Re: Schooling whites - 06/06/20 09:38 PM

The fewer hooks, the better. Nothing worse than hooking a sa did with a six hooked Rat L Trap. I’ve known people who grab a pair of pliers and whack off the other two hooks on a treble. Either that or don’t grab the fish, just use pliers. Guess how I know?!? Something that can sink fast and cast far also helps
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Schooling whites - 06/07/20 12:48 AM

Small swimbaits are awesome. 2" long. Storm makes some good ones with the hook and lead built into them. AND 1 hook! I've been hooked twice with those dang sandies using multiple hook baits!!
Posted By: cob

Re: Schooling whites - 06/07/20 01:03 AM

Heddon clear baby torpedo. Take front treble off and bend barbs down. Just wind. Fun to watch them chase it.
Posted By: ladybluearm

Re: Schooling whites - 06/07/20 12:47 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yea, those 3 hooks are a pain!
Posted By: boocat

Re: Schooling whites - 06/07/20 01:08 PM

I'm glad this was actually about fish. thanks for the info.
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Schooling whites - 06/07/20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by cob
Heddon clear baby torpedo. Take front treble off and bend barbs down. Just wind. Fun to watch them chase it.

It's alot of fun watching the kids trying to keep the torpedo from the sandies. Bending down those barbs will save you time & trouble. Little Georges work good also.
Posted By: steve_twice

Re: Schooling whites - 06/07/20 02:06 PM

I like the Johnson SIlver Minnow spoon. One hook.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Schooling whites - 06/07/20 02:08 PM

Given the current situation, the title of this thread made me think it might belong in the bunker!
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: Schooling whites - 06/07/20 02:13 PM

I like the Heddon Spit'n Image, shad color. Crank it hard and watch the schools of sandies chase it until one gets lucky.

Hint: Also a great lure for Bass.
Posted By: 1956Zebco

Re: Schooling whites - 06/09/20 11:57 PM

[Linked Image]

Mepps XD - casts really far - all you do is reel it in. Caught a lot of them with it.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Schooling whites - 06/10/20 02:06 AM

Cotton cordell casting spoon
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Schooling whites - 06/10/20 06:10 AM

Surfacing whites will hit anything you throw at them. Like stated I stay away from treble hooks because they are a pain.
Posted By: Tyler822

Re: Schooling whites - 06/10/20 01:07 PM

Pet spoon
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Schooling whites - 06/10/20 02:04 PM

theyll hit anything.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Schooling whites - 06/10/20 02:13 PM

Rat-L-Trap's and Little George's are 2 of the best and my go to weapons of choice. cheers
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: Schooling whites - 06/17/20 12:37 PM

Rapala Rippin Rap 2" blue chrome is my go to. Anything flashy or chrome 3" or smaller will typically work. If that are near the surface, a small square bill crank in any shad pattern will produce.
Posted By: mwfishin

Re: Schooling whites - 06/17/20 01:07 PM

3" grub on a 1/4 oz. Jig head is my favorite. Sometimes use a baby clear torpedo but the treble hooks are a pain when they are really boiling.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Schooling whites - 06/19/20 04:28 AM

I betts speck rig white or chartreuse 1/8 ounce it has a #4 single hook. Two jigs to a rig they murder schooling whites or hybrids.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Schooling whites - 06/19/20 07:48 AM

A swim bait minnow of any color.
Shad color swims like a wounded shad and they cant ignore it
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Schooling whites - 06/19/20 10:05 AM

I use a white spinner bait when they are on the surface
Posted By: beltonbill

Re: Schooling whites - 06/19/20 01:36 PM

Is there on one else that takes off the treble hooks and installs barbless treble hooks in their place? The fish just fall off in the boat and the barbless hooks don't tear up the inside of the mouth and throat if they take it deep. I get my hooks on Ebay.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Schooling whites - 06/19/20 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by senko9S
theyll hit anything.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As mentioned they will hit anything in the water when feeding on top. If fishing with kids the Little George will cast far, 1 treble to deal with rather than multiples, and it gets under deeper where the larger fish typically are waiting for the fallout.
Posted By: silvers

Re: Schooling whites - 06/19/20 04:38 PM

Mepps #2 silver blade white tail
Posted By: Road Scholar

Re: Schooling whites - 06/19/20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by beltonbill
Is there on one else that takes off the treble hooks and installs barbless treble hooks in their place? The fish just fall off in the boat and the barbless hooks don't tear up the inside of the mouth and throat if they take it deep. I get my hooks on Ebay.

I do this too. All my ratl-traps, crankbaits, topwaters, kastmasters, lil' Georges, etc have barbless hooks now.
It's a hassle replacing the hooks on 100+ baits, but well worth it. So much easier getting them unhooked when the action is fast, plus there are tons of 10-12" stripers on Whitney and the barbless ones don't tear up their mouth.
Posted By: SangerCrappieMan

Re: Schooling whites - 06/19/20 07:38 PM

Love the Little George
Posted By: gborg

Re: Schooling whites - 06/20/20 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by beltonbill

I purchase slabs with barbless hooks from RSR ., Actually will force you to keep constant pressure on lure, thus making for a longer fight. Save a finger ,save a fish. Fishing with barbless hooks is a species saver.
Posted By: FishHarder

Re: Schooling whites - 06/20/20 02:08 PM

Slabs in white or silver.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Schooling whites - 06/20/20 02:22 PM

i thing to keep in mind when fishing schooling sandbass on top is that usually the larger sandbass are under the smaller sandbass reaping the rewards as the shad filters down. A bonus hybrids may be down there also

If catching a lot of small one i will put on a 4' sassy shad on 1 ounce jig head with single hook
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Schooling whites - 06/20/20 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by SangerCrappieMan
Love the Little George
Posted By: Keystone

Re: Schooling whites - 06/20/20 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Patrnflyr
The fewer hooks, the better. Nothing worse than hooking a sa did with a six hooked Rat L Trap. I’ve known people who grab a pair of pliers and whack off the other two hooks on a treble. Either that or don’t grab the fish, just use pliers. Guess how I know?!? Something that can sink fast and cast far also helps

👍
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum