Texas Fishing Forum

Whitney sandies

Posted By: Jswanz58

Whitney sandies - 05/28/20 08:07 PM

Anyone having any luck with the sandies? Striper fishing has been incredible everywhere on the lake. Caught some good keepers around the island on the south end this morning but looking to catch some sandies for the freezer.
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Whitney sandies - 05/29/20 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by basscatcher01
Anyone having any luck with the sandies? Striper fishing has been incredible everywhere on the lake. Caught some good keepers around the island on the south end this morning but looking to catch some sandies for the freezer.

I was catching them a couple days ago before the rains at the mouth of the Nolan where it goes into the Brazos from my kayak. Huge schools of sandies.
Posted By: floydster

Re: Whitney sandies - 05/31/20 02:20 PM

I for one and baffled. Catch stripers regularly, but for last 2 years, only a occasional sandie on main lake. Still catch sandies up river, mouth of Nolan and north in spring.
Posted By: Road Scholar

Re: Whitney sandies - 05/31/20 11:54 PM

My bro-in-law and I caught a dozen big sand bass yesterday. Real nice ones, 14" to 16". They were in a cove in 2' to 4' of water. I was surprised, because a month ago during the shad spawn I was catching loads of big sandies shallow, but not for the past couple of weeks. The shad spawn is pretty much over, but yesterday there were some nice ones shallow again.
Tons of surface schooling going on, but it was all small 10" stripers and 8" sand bass.
Switched gears and did some catfishing with cut shad in 7' of water and caught 6 nice eaters pretty quick.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum