Texas Fishing Forum

Trolling Equipment ????’s

Posted By: FishinTime

Trolling Equipment ????’s - 05/17/20 10:27 PM

Hopefully the grandkids will be visiting soon. I’m wanting to get them on some sandies/hybrids. Thinking trolling with hellpets or maybe umbrella rigs on Tawakoni my home lake.

What is a great rod? I’m thinking Penn Fierce spinning reels? My Ugly Stik 7 foot catfish rods seem a little too limber. I’ve used them in the past. Don’t I need a heavier weight rod? Also how long? I’ll use these mostly for trolling in the future too. Don’t want 3 inexperienced children casting in my 25 foot Tritoon so trolling seems the best/safest way while they’re here. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: FishTheBite

Re: Trolling Equipment ????’s - 05/18/20 07:41 PM

What weight is your catfish rod? Most people who troll a lot recommend a flexible rod with a parabolic bend. And UglyStiks fit that description well. I would think that a medium heavy UglyStik would be up to the task of landing even a double digit hybrid if the drag on the reel is smooth and the line is fresh.
Posted By: fishincuban

Re: Trolling Equipment ????’s - 05/19/20 12:07 AM

Your catfish combos should be fine. Maybe a little heavy actually. I troll Hellpets with 7' medium heavy rods on my tritoon. Good luck and enjoy.
Posted By: FishinTime

Re: Trolling Equipment ????’s - 05/19/20 02:37 AM

Thank you guys. They’re medium heavy so I guess y’all saved me some money. Thanks again!!
Posted By: hornedfrog

Re: Trolling Equipment ????’s - 05/19/20 03:02 AM

i use ugly sticks trolling on t wok often. when you get a nice hybrid the medium action is perfect....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum