Texas Fishing Forum

WHITNEY BAIT!!

Posted By: DILLIGAF

WHITNEY BAIT!! - 04/26/20 02:17 AM

I don’t get to go to Whitney anymore these days, but my brother got a boat and wants to catch some striper. I can find the fish if someone could lead me in the right direction for shad... last time I fished it they were hard to find and I just don’t want to waste a day trying to find them. Any advice here guys will be appreciated. Thank you
Posted By: FishWrangler2

Re: WHITNEY BAIT!! - 04/26/20 08:14 PM

Plan on getting up at 3 AM....
Posted By: Anejo

Re: WHITNEY BAIT!! - 04/27/20 12:26 PM

Getting bait at Whitney can be an issue. I hate to spend the time looking for shad there. If anyone ever figured out a reliable way to sell live shad, there would be big business.
Posted By: gborg

Re: WHITNEY BAIT!! - 04/27/20 02:04 PM

Threadfin are spawning on the banks right now. The backs of creeks and around docks with lights are key. Look for White Herons, they are on the bait !!
Posted By: G Love

Re: WHITNEY BAIT!! - 04/27/20 04:14 PM

Livescope and a Fitec lol
Posted By: me and the boys

Re: WHITNEY BAIT!! - 04/27/20 04:40 PM

Aquilla,,,,,
Posted By: G Love

Re: WHITNEY BAIT!! - 04/27/20 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by me and the boys
Aquilla,,,,,

yOu cAnT tAkE bAiT fRoM oNe lAkE tO aNoThEr........ angel
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: WHITNEY BAIT!! - 04/27/20 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by G Love
Aquilla,,,,,

I think it's the water that's the issue, not the bait. TPWD had a memo of explanation about this I believe.
Posted By: CatfishHunter1963

Re: WHITNEY BAIT!! - 04/27/20 10:32 PM

Aquilla,,,,,

You can buy shad at a bait shop and use it where you please. it's releasing live fish or baitfish in a different body of water.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: WHITNEY BAIT!! - 04/27/20 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by CatfishHunter1963
Aquilla,,,,,

You can buy shad at a bait shop and use it where you please. it's releasing live fish or baitfish in a different body of water.

You can transfer bait fish but they have to be in treated water. You can't take baitfish from a lake along with the lake water to another lake.
Posted By: proline19_

Re: WHITNEY BAIT!! - 04/28/20 02:15 AM

From the TPWD site....
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/...-and-transport-of-exotic-aquatic-species
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: WHITNEY BAIT!! - 04/28/20 02:34 AM

Here is the wording from the TPWD site. Clear as mud. I was told by a game warden you cannot move bait from one body to another and you need a commercial license to sell bait and use it in a different waterbody.

Live fish, including personally caught live bait, cannot be transported from the water body where the fish were caught in or aboard a vessel in water from the water body where the fish were caught. Personally caught live bait can be used in the water body where it was caught.

Transport and use of commercially purchased live bait in water while fishing from a vessel is allowed, provided persons in possession of the bait have a receipt that identifies the source of the bait. Any live bait purchased from a location on or adjacent to a public water body that is transported in water from that water body can only be used as bait on that same water body.
Posted By: me and the boys

Re: WHITNEY BAIT!! - 04/28/20 01:53 PM

Whitney is the toughest lake for me to catch bait.
I’ve heard others have the same issue. If there is a go to place to constantly catch em idk where.
That’s why I shamelessly plugged Aqilla.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum