Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Travis Stripers/sandbass

Posted By: fivebites

Lake Travis Stripers/sandbass - 04/06/20 01:06 PM

I've been in the Austin area for about 4 years now and have been large mouth bass fishing on Travis 15 or 20 times since. I've heard there are sandies and stripers on Travis but have never seen either schooling. I fish out of the Jonestown area up to about Gloster bend. Never been further up river than that. Is there just not a good population of either or have I just not been in the right spot at the right time?
Posted By: SirDukeOfLor

Re: Lake Travis Stripers/sandbass - 04/06/20 03:06 PM

Last sunday, I trolled from Jones brothers down to the dam and didn't touch a fish. But about a 1/4 past the Jonestown boat ramps, upstream in the sandy creek arm, caught at least a 1 fish(sandbass) on each pass, and left them biting.

Re: Lake Travis Stripers/sandbass - 04/06/20 04:13 PM

I think I saw you out there SirDuke. In a small jonboat by yourself? I was in a white Legend late Sunday afternoon and was fishing just before the creek makes that first big turn towards the back!

Re: Lake Travis Stripers/sandbass - 04/06/20 06:06 PM

The older gentleman was in the small johnboat, and told us about the white bass bite in that area.
I was with my wife in a black alumaweld free drifter.

Re: Lake Travis Stripers/sandbass - 04/06/20 08:14 PM

OK, I think I actually spoke to you as I got ready to leave the area. Have you ever seen striper or sandies schooling on that lake?

Re: Lake Travis Stripers/sandbass - 04/06/20 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by fivebites
OK, I think I actually spoke to you as I got ready to leave the area. Have you ever seen striper or sandies schooling on that lake?

I do not have a lot of experience with this lake, that sunday was my second time fishing the lake. I would like to fish it more, since I live fairly close to it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum