Texas Fishing Forum

question about using a thumper

Posted By: randy12972

question about using a thumper - 04/04/20 07:05 PM

I am about to go to my place on Lake Of The Ozarks in Missouri and need information about a thumper. I have a fairly large cove on our place that always provides lots of action on crappie and small white bass.The cove is off of one of the main river channels feeding the lake. Question is whether a thumper would work from a dock and will it work in shallow water? Deepest water in cove is about 8' and dock is only about 6'. Would be using in an aluminum boat or off the edge of the dock. Thanks in advance for your help.
Randy in Alabama
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: question about using a thumper - 04/04/20 07:56 PM

I have used my thumper in water 15’ deep with success in the winter and early spring. Once the water warms up my thumper seems to not be as effective if not at all. I have never tried in water less than about 12’-15’
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: question about using a thumper - 04/04/20 09:07 PM

I would not recommend it that shallow. I think 20’ would be better. You might be better Off trying it in a kayak!
Posted By: jbobo

Re: question about using a thumper - 04/05/20 12:02 AM

In water 8 to 17 ft sometimes fish will surround your boat which allows you to cast to them while thumping. On a dock I think it would work if the water was 8 ft or deeper close to it.
Posted By: gborg

Re: question about using a thumper - 04/05/20 03:46 PM

I fished lake Ouachita end of last mont. Thumper was not part or our approach due to using planner boards in 13 FOW . When fishing deeper as in 35 feet ,still no thumper. We caught fish from both approaches. They say that due to smaller numbers of stripes, they don't respond as Texoma etc.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum