Texas Fishing Forum

Whitney Conditions?

Posted By: onthefish

Whitney Conditions? - 03/24/20 04:42 AM

What's whitney looking like? Boat ramps open? Water conditions? Getting shad? Any information regarding whitney striper would be helpful.
Posted By: on the fly

Re: Whitney Conditions? - 03/25/20 03:53 AM

Lake is full and then some. Water is pretty clear on the main body. Shad can de found close to shore in the new dense cover. All parks are closed. Would have to a use private ramp like Uncle Gus or Juniper Cove (but i would call first) to launch but that puts you were you want to be.
Posted By: floydster

Re: Whitney Conditions? - 03/26/20 12:58 AM

Not so, McCown ramp is open, was there today, Wednesday march 25. Caught 14 stripers trolling. I believe Lofers west ramp also open, all other Corp ramps closed.
Posted By: carb

Re: Whitney Conditions? - 03/26/20 06:23 PM

I am headed out there in the morning. Gonna try and sneak up the Nolan just far enough to try and find them schooling. Judging from google earth the Nolan has a rock bottom, so I plan on being very careful in my fiberglass boat. Not sure if I can get far enough up the river to where they will be spawning. I have never fished the spawn. Do you need live bait, or can you still throw a spoon or rattle trap?
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Whitney Conditions? - 03/26/20 10:54 PM

I was at the Nolan today. It's high enough that you should be fine....saw a few boats headed upstream from me. There's a collapsed bridge upriver from Rock Creek where a lot are holding, lots of small ones but there were some keepers (and small stripers) mixed in. I was having good luck on white rooster tails, tiny traps (silver and white), and little spinners. Really anything white with some flash. Good Luck!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum