Decker Lake Report 3/7/20

Posted By: voodew

Decker Lake Report 3/7/20 - 03/07/20 11:11 PM

Pictures can be found here

https://www.facebook.com/reelfishingtx/

3/7/20 Decker Lake (Walter E Long Lake)
2 guests 28 fish

‘Slow start to a good day’

I felt it was about time to give Decker another shot. I called my regulars, Transient Tray and Richard, and told them I want to scout the lake and if they pitched in for gas they could join me. They met me at 6:50 at the dock and off we went.

This lake is my nemesis, great days followed by horrible days and not much rhyme or reason why. This lake is the only body of water to deal me a skunk in years!

We started searching, not finding much. I went to my crappie spots - they were empty! This really concerned me as they should be there this time of year. Lots so searching for the first 2-3 hours. We caught fish, but it was extremely slow. I heard lots of ‘if our guide could put us on fish’ comments, but I am used to Tray’s mouth and it didn’t phase me one bit.
We fished waters from 24-53’ until noon.
Tray caught 2 hybrids on his crappie pole with 6lb line and a tiny hook......he was pleased with himself😜

About 12:30 we were about done, but I wanted to try one more spot. We set up in 40’ and dropped shad. All of the sudden the slow moving uninterested hybrids started to pick up the pace! Fish started coming over the side at a good pace with quality fish.
2:30 we called it. 27 keeper hybrids and 1 largemouth bass. No short hybrids or crappie were caught today.
Transient Tray (look at his attire) took big fish honors with a lake record 24.25” 7lb 1oz hybrid striped bass.
(It’s nowhere close to the record, but Tray was dead set on calling it the lake record, and as he is not right in the head Richard and I finally just agreed so he would shut up about it)

Water temp 60

No shad spawn seen today, but the shad I caught are ready to bust with eggs. A few days and they will be running the banks at first light.

6 fish were kept today - the rest were released.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Decker Lake Report 3/7/20 - 03/08/20 03:55 AM

Solid post and fish. Good job. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum