Texas Fishing Forum

Mountain laurel, bluebonnets, water temp?

Posted By: Lee85

Mountain laurel, bluebonnets, water temp? - 02/26/20 04:49 PM

Some people say when you see certain wildflowers start to bloom its the start of this fishing season. What do yall look for certain water temp/flow etc.?
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Mountain laurel, bluebonnets, water temp? - 02/26/20 05:38 PM

started about 2 weeks ago, water temp in the 50's, havent seen one flower
Posted By: BayouFennec

Re: Mountain laurel, bluebonnets, water temp? - 02/26/20 05:55 PM

i saw some bluebonnets on highway 71 near LaGrange last weekend
Posted By: Jeff Schiller

Re: Mountain laurel, bluebonnets, water temp? - 02/26/20 07:40 PM

When you see a Robin, the whitebass have started their spawning run.
When you see the dogwoods bloom, the crappie have started spawning.
When you see bluebonnets in full bloom, the spawn is just about over.

That's my observation.
Posted By: Easeup

Re: Mountain laurel, bluebonnets, water temp? - 02/28/20 02:00 AM

I always heard when you see the willows along the creek start to bloom, the whites have moved in
Posted By: Esnow74

Re: Mountain laurel, bluebonnets, water temp? - 02/28/20 03:39 AM

In parts of ETX, i just use a calendar. I know how far up the river they should be on Valentine's and by last weekend of February it's a full on catching fest. Rain/flow has a big effect though.
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: Mountain laurel, bluebonnets, water temp? - 02/28/20 01:13 PM

I watch for all of this to happen, in hopes of hitting the migration at the right time.

I have finally figured that if I wait for any of this to happen, I'm usually too late.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Mountain laurel, bluebonnets, water temp? - 02/28/20 06:53 PM

Good luck predicting the sandbass run, they show up when they want to show up. Usually some time between New Years and April they just show up, Ive got picture of limits of nice sandies I caught up a creek on New Year’s Eve, it was 18 degrees outside and we were knocking ice off our rod eyes. they were milting and everything. I’ve also seen years when they don’t show up until late March. Generally in north Texas it peaks around the first or second week of April, but good luck predicting the sandbass run because they just show up when they want to. Usually it gets better when it starts to warm up but you never know. Crappie are a little more predictable, generally early April when water temps get in the 60s.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum