Texas Fishing Forum

Whites in Creeks

Posted By: Coop2564

Whites in Creeks - 02/24/20 07:01 PM

Do the whites go in outlet creeks or inlet creeks when spawning? My lake really only has inlet creeks and very few that go far from lake with any real water depth? Most are runoff creeks coming off hills.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/24/20 07:13 PM

Not sure what the difference between those are but if there is a creek with decent depth with flowing water coming into the lake there will be whites. They will spawn on wind blown points as well.
Posted By: Bassman_78

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/24/20 07:28 PM

Creeks and rivers that feed into a lake. Behind a spillway could be considered an outlet but is still probably a feeder for the lake down from there and it’s release can draw fish up as well. Those very few in your lake are probably the best bets. Small creeks can produce, but there needs to be enough water and flow as said above.

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/24/20 09:33 PM

Heard they have red meat stripes, no good to eat!
Posted By: silvers

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/24/20 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Coop2564

They are not fun to catch either

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/25/20 05:01 AM

The red meat is not near as bad as some make it out to be. You can always trim it if you like though. The bloodline in a hybrid/striper is another story

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/25/20 02:02 PM

A lot of people love to eat them but I prefer crappie myself.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/25/20 02:34 PM

That is right, throw them back. Target something else.
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/25/20 11:12 PM

For best results bleed them out right away after you catch them.
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/26/20 03:33 AM

Coop, if creeks are not producing find wind blown rocky points. Your looking for clean water ideally. Also for stuff that has a relatively gradual slope. Not a super pronounced drop off. When the creeks gets crowded on my home lakes we fish the main lake points that have waves crashing into them. Try stuff on the north end of your lake but near deep water. Should you decide to look at creeks, find moving water. That’s where
You will find the greatest abundance of fish.
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/26/20 03:34 AM

I could have interchanged a rocky with gravel... toss small curly tails on 1/4 oz jig heads all the way to the shoreline and retrieve back.
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/26/20 01:44 PM

I have gotten them in Hog Creek as well as the North & South Bosque River from Lake Waco. Last year I got bigger ones from Hog Creek that the river.

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/26/20 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc
Coop, if creeks are not producing find wind blown rocky points. Your looking for clean water ideally. Also for stuff that has a relatively gradual slope. Not a super pronounced drop off. When the creeks gets crowded on my home lakes we fish the main lake points that have waves crashing into them. Try stuff on the north end of your lake but near deep water. Should you decide to look at creeks, find moving water. That’s where

Problem with our creeks like I said they are all very steep runoff creeks that only have water flowing for very short time after rain. We have one large creek with flow but its in a very shallow part of lake and very muddy and I have tried fishing it several years never caught one single white in it. I'll try some points. What depth on points do they spawn in on the points?
Posted By: gander

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/26/20 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Problem with our creeks like I said they are all very steep runoff creeks that only have water flowing for very short time after rain. We have one large creek with flow but its in a very shallow part of lake and very muddy and I have tried fishing it several years never caught one single white in it. I'll try some points. What depth on points do they spawn in on the points?
What creek/lake are you fishing...?

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/26/20 10:04 PM

What lake are you fishing Coop? PM if you prefer
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/27/20 12:21 AM

Any feeder creek that has constant flow will have them. It doesn’t take much, caught a ton of sandies in creeks that are 6-8’ wide and 2-3’ deep at max. They’re fun to catch but they are NASTY to eat.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/27/20 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Any feeder creek that has constant flow will have them. It doesn’t take much, caught a ton of sandies in creeks that are 6-8’ wide and 2-3’ deep at max. They’re fun to catch but they are NASTY to eat.

I agree with the creek sandies flavor!

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/27/20 04:56 AM

The only true bass I’ll mess with eating is a yellow. Crappie and walleye have me spoiled.

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/27/20 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bassman_78
What lake are you fishing Coop? PM if you prefer

Eagle Mountain. Walnut creek is a big creek but I have not been able to catch one white in it. and its always muddy.

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/27/20 03:09 PM

Whites make very good fish tacos.
Posted By: T- Gil

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/27/20 06:12 PM

I've only been on EM once, and that was a crappie trip with a buddy. The Trinity on the North end looks like the most obvious place, but Indian Creek on the East side could also be good if it has enough flow?
Posted By: Bentman63

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/27/20 06:26 PM

It's ok to be white

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/27/20 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bentman63

It's ok to be white

Not according to the media!
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/27/20 06:43 PM

You probably already know this but when you fillet a white bass use a razor blade to make a " V " shaped cut along the blood stripe and remove it . That " red meat " is what makes it taste bad . We eat a lot of white bass and we can not stand the flavor if the red meat does not get removed . That goes for anything we have caught other than Crappie . They don't seem to have the red stripe that tastes bad .

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/27/20 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by T- Gil
I've only been on EM once, and that was a crappie trip with a buddy. The Trinity on the North end looks like the most obvious place, but Indian Creek on the East side could also be good if it has enough flow?

Did try the river a few times caught a few very scattered but may of been to late was 3rd week of march last year. I seem to only catch them out on main lake humps and last year that was very hit and miss more miss. Even went with guide we only caught about 8.
Last year was my first year to fish the lake always heard it was great for whites. But I just cant connect. Found them schooling one trip in late may and caught 25. Can catch blue cat like crazy tho.

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/27/20 09:22 PM

They do move up the Trinity
Posted By: Beaver liqour

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/28/20 03:57 AM

Creek sandies may taste bad d/t the landfill being nearby? Just saying. Like Rowllet creek.

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/28/20 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by DarrellSimpson

You probably already know this but when you fillet a white bass use a razor blade to make a " V " shaped cut along the blood stripe and remove it . That " red meat " is what makes it taste bad . We eat a lot of white bass and we can not stand the flavor if the red meat does not get removed . That goes for anything we have caught other than Crappie . They don't seem to have the red stripe that tastes bad .

Cut it out, leave it in, they still taste like garbage
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/29/20 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by DarrellSimpson

Cut it out, leave it in, they still taste like garbage

LoL . roflmao
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Whites in Creeks - 02/29/20 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Beaver liqour
Creek sandies may taste bad d/t the landfill being nearby? Just saying. Like Rowllet creek.

I have ate them out of Rowlett Creek and many other creeks as well. NONE of them taste as clean as lake caught Sandies.

When I freeze all my fish I label them. Based on the date I can tell if they were caught in a creek or in the lake. The truth is I can tell just by the taste without ever looking at the date. There is no comparison. Thankfully I am not that sensitive to the taste so I keep them anyway.
Posted By: Jerrybign

Re: Whites in Creeks - 03/01/20 12:10 AM

This is like a Ford or Chevie argument.... if you do like to eat sandies, EAT 'EM!!! iff'n you don't, don't !!! I love the way I fix em, add some salt and pepper and red pepper to the cornmeal. YUMMOLISIOUS!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Blayne Wallace

Re: Whites in Creeks - 03/01/20 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jerrybign
This is like a Ford or Chevie argument.... if you do like to eat sandies, EAT 'EM!!! iff'n you don't, don't !!! I love the way I fix em, add some salt and pepper and red pepper to the cornmeal. YUMMOLISIOUS!!!!!!!!!!

With enough cajun breading, they all taste good!

Re: Whites in Creeks - 03/02/20 01:56 PM

Crappie is where it is at. I have thrown back all my sandies so far this year. Will be keeping some for someone needing them when I catch enough though.
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: Whites in Creeks - 03/02/20 10:54 PM

Just soak them in salt water overnight ,you will be hard-pressed to find anyone who can tell you they are sand bass. Including all of the experts on here!

scared noidea
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum