Texas Fishing Forum

Thumpers and Pontoones

Posted By: David a B

Thumpers and Pontoones - 02/15/20 04:41 PM

Has anyone tried a thumper on a pontoon?
Posted By: Gordoeagle

Re: Thumpers and Pontoones - 02/15/20 06:29 PM

Following. I bought a thumper this year and had very little success with it and was curious if the pontoon was a factor.
Posted By: ML56

Re: Thumpers and Pontoones - 02/15/20 08:44 PM

Are the pontoons filled with flotation material? Was told they are once but don't know myself,
if filled, I'd think it would kill the vibration you're trying to transmit into the water.
Posted By: David W

Re: Thumpers and Pontoones - 02/15/20 09:10 PM

Curious myself. Hadn't had a chance to try it out.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Thumpers and Pontoones - 02/15/20 11:44 PM

I have had several customers buy one who had pontoons and have also heard pontoons using them on the water. I am going fishing with a customer who bought one in a couple of weeks in his pontoon so can say from first hand knowledge for sure. Most boats have foam (including mine) so I don’t think that would stop all of the vibrations.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Thumpers and Pontoones - 02/16/20 12:11 AM

I have quite a few customers who put my thumpers on their pontoon boats that said they work. Just like with any boat you need to find the right spot on your boat that will produce the sound vibration the fish will respond to favorably. Most of us know the vibrations produced when we thump in an area on our fiberglass boats that is hollow underneath are what fish respond to best. Some boats require more experimenting by moving it to different places on the boat while fishing. I don’t like the sound I hear from my thumper on my boat but the fish respond well so I let it alone and catch fish.
The answer to the op question is yes it works if you find the right place on your boat for your thumper.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum