Texas Fishing Forum

San Antonio Area White bass

Posted By: Lee85

San Antonio Area White bass - 01/30/20 02:03 PM

Just moved to the San Antonio area and would like anyone's opinion on lakes near by for white bass and hybrids. I've done some research and most lakes like medina and canyon seem more recreational than fishing but I know they have to have some fish. Never fished those types of lakes before being that deep. Any input or advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Posted By: Txbassin

Re: San Antonio Area White bass - 01/30/20 02:55 PM

Choke Canyon might be your best choice for white bass fishing. No hybrids in Choke.
Posted By: F4 Gator

Re: San Antonio Area White bass - 01/30/20 04:00 PM

Calaveras & Brauning have hybrid stripers. White Bass in Choke and Lake Corpus Christi.
Posted By: parttime

Re: San Antonio Area White bass - 01/30/20 04:56 PM

There are White Bass in Canyon Lake, but they can be tough to find.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: San Antonio Area White bass - 01/30/20 07:44 PM

Buchanan is about the same distance as Choke, both are loaded with whites and buchanan has stripers also.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: San Antonio Area White bass - 01/30/20 08:12 PM

Just drive the 2 hours south and get in to the Specks, Reds, etc. Far more fun than whites and hybrids. popcorn2
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: San Antonio Area White bass - 01/30/20 09:46 PM

Might check out the run going on the Nueces right now.
Posted By: Southtxangler22

Re: San Antonio Area White bass - 01/31/20 03:35 AM

Def wanna be on the Nueces River or the Frio River. Just troll crank baits and you’ll load the boat. If you wanna stay a little closer. Hit up Canyon Lake. I’ve caught more fish out of canyon than any river. Not to mention the Guadalupe flows into canyon has a respectable run. If you have a little patience and a fish finder you can catch spawning white bass all over canyon lake and never be surrounded be a ton of fishermen.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: San Antonio Area White bass - 01/31/20 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
Buchanan is about the same distance as Choke, both are loaded with whites and buchanan has stripers also.

Plus #1. thumb

Side Note: welcome to the TFF!
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: San Antonio Area White bass - 01/31/20 10:03 AM

I’m actually scheduled to fish Canyon lake next week. While breaking down the lake, I’m seeing some interesting points and humps off river bends. I’ll put a video together and see if I can locate them. Be on the lookout for the video.
Tim
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: San Antonio Area White bass - 01/31/20 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Skunked Again Fishing
I’m actually scheduled to fish Canyon lake next week. While breaking down the lake, I’m seeing some interesting points and humps off river bends. I’ll put a video together and see if I can locate them. Be on the lookout for the video.
Tim

Troll the river channel from Potters Creek around Craines Mill Park into the mouth of the river and watch for the birds.
You'll know you are in the right place because there should already be a lot of other boats in that area trying to locate the whites. Trolling Canyon you may also get a bonus surprise if you hook onto one of the striped bass.
Also check out the backs of the coves and secondary points in those coves on the main lake.
Game Wardens are busy this time of year, and make sure you read your game law booklet as to the size and limits.
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: San Antonio Area White bass - 01/31/20 01:07 PM

Canyon is a beautiful lake. Usually has a decent run up the river this time of year. Any of the lakes in the Colorado river system will hold whites as well.
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: San Antonio Area White bass - 02/01/20 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Originally Posted by Skunked Again Fishing
Tim

Troll the river channel from Potters Creek around Craines Mill Park into the mouth of the river and watch for the birds.
You'll know you are in the right place because there should already be a lot of other boats in that area trying to locate the whites. Trolling Canyon you may also get a bonus surprise if you hook onto one of the striped bass.
Also check out the backs of the coves and secondary points in those coves on the main lake.
Game Wardens are busy this time of year, and make sure you read your game law booklet as to the size and limits.

Good tips, thank you.
Tim
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum