Texas Fishing Forum

Whitney Tuesday 1/14

Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Whitney Tuesday 1/14 - 01/15/20 06:36 PM

Left Garland around 6:30 under very cloudy skies, then they started to dissipate and the sun peaked out briefly then I hit thick fog right before Hillsboro. By the time I got to the lake the fog was gone but clouds were thick again. Last trip there it was sunny. Met Rob at Lofers Bend, 9am. Headed to flats between the island and west end of state park. Fished the same area we did on 1/4 with same results. Slab with thump buddy above, bouncing slowly off the bottom. Moving slowly around seemed to be the best strategy. No wind, clouds broke up and sun came out. Caught 12-14 real nice fat sandies and 4 almost legal striper. The rest were small/medium sandies and small striper. The bite was light but the fish were in a feeding mode. Just like last time we moved from there over to the bluffs where the river comes close to shore.

At the bluffs we were able to locate fish, anchor and thump/splash them to stay under us. Spent the rest of the day reeling in fish after fish. Once the small ones move in you have to move to find bigger ones. Sometimes slab sometimes thump buddy, sometimes both. We had several double/doubles. My arms got tired and we left around 3. What a great day, weather, fish and company. All fish returned, final count on the clicker was 289.

Whose is bigger?

[Linked Image]

Double, Strip and Sandie
[Linked Image]

Two nice sandies
[Linked Image]

Just under stripe
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Whitney Tuesday 1/15 - 01/15/20 07:06 PM

Sounds like a great trip.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Whitney Tuesday 1/15 - 01/16/20 12:34 AM

thumb
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Whitney Tuesday 1/15 - 01/16/20 01:24 AM

Very nice Steve👍
Posted By: Flyingjoe

Re: Whitney Tuesday 1/15 - 01/16/20 04:14 AM

Way to go. You guys sure make it look easy. I was out there today and couldn't find any hungry fish till almost time to go, but they were all dinks.
Posted By: sticknstring

Re: Whitney Tuesday 1/15 - 01/16/20 06:18 PM

fantastic! Thanks for sharing...I can't wait to " thump" some whites!
Is thumping strictly a cold weather method?
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Whitney Tuesday 1/15 - 01/16/20 07:24 PM

The lake is full of small stripes and sandies. Just have to move around to find bigger fish.
Thumping works all year but it seems to be better in winter when they are deeper.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Whitney Tuesday 1/15 - 01/16/20 07:33 PM

Nice post and fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: Whitney Tuesday 1/15 - 01/16/20 10:07 PM

Lotz of fish Steve. Your arm should be tried.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum