Texas Fishing Forum

Thumping

Posted By: catcrew68

Thumping - 01/10/20 06:53 PM

How deep does the water need to be for thumping to be effective for whites? Thanks
Posted By: TexExp

Re: Thumping - 01/10/20 07:00 PM

I don't imagine there's a minimum. You just want to attract them closer to your boat and within casting distance.
Generally, I suppose you would be in 10' or more of water. cool

Good Fishing!
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Thumping - 01/11/20 04:00 AM

I usually want to be deeper than 20’ to as deep as 80’. I have thumped in schools of striper at 80’ deep...
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Thumping - 01/11/20 01:57 PM

Our R and R department at Bobo’s Thumper’s has come to the conclusion that normally a minimum of 8 ft up to about 16 ft stripers hybrids and sandbass will form a perimeter around your boat allowing anglers to cast their presentations and 16 ft to 160 ft deep they will come under your boat to allow vertical presentations. Your own conclusion could vary under different circumstances.
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Thumping - 01/11/20 04:23 PM

Do y’all think thumping brings the smaller fish closest to the boat leaving the bigger fish on the perimeter?

Re: Thumping - 01/11/20 06:55 PM

Not necessarily. The thump mimics the sound stripers hybrids and sandbass make when they are feeding. Other fish “hear” the sound and come to see what’s available for them to eat. All sizes will respond the same. There are probably more smaller fish than larger ones normally since we catch more as they are growing gradually diminishing that size class. My 2cents

Re: Thumping - 01/12/20 05:37 AM

I agree, I think thumping brings fish any nearby fish around however what I have seen on the Panoptix is that the fish stay at the same depth, they travel in the same line vs moving up or down so if the bigger marks are deeper fish deeper...
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Thumping - 01/12/20 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by jbobo
Our R and R department at Bobo’s Thumper’s has come to the conclusion that normally a minimum of 8 ft up to about 16 ft stripers hybrids and sandbass will form a perimeter around your boat allowing anglers to cast their presentations and 16 ft to 160 ft deep they will come under your boat to allow vertical presentations. Your own conclusion could vary under different circumstances.

Where are you fishing stripers at 160 feet??
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Thumping - 01/12/20 01:41 PM

Probably an Eastern lake like Ouachita has them that deep, and big ones to boot.

Re: Thumping - 01/12/20 01:56 PM

Beaver lake Arkansas is where we tested my thumpers in deeper cold water. Called them up out of the trees at 140 ft.
Some clients in North Carolina and South Carolina have experienced the same results on their deeper lake’s there. Those guys thump more from April to October vs our common belief it only works in the winter months. They have always thought thumping would scare the fish in what they call shallow water. 15 to 35 ft. Is where their stripers are in the winter months.
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Thumping - 01/13/20 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by learnin to fish
Do y’all think thumping brings the smaller fish closest to the boat leaving the bigger fish on the perimeter?

Actually, that's a great point. This time of the year, I find on Livescope that thumping brings in the smaller ones very quickly; and they hang around creating a frenzy. On a good day, the bigger ones come join the party. On a bad day, you catch small ones all day (rich man's problem smile.
Tim
Posted By: sticknstring

Re: Thumping - 01/13/20 09:06 PM

I've been wanting to try this for quite some time...I'm definitely going to be trying it out here on Buchanan in the near future-just need to locate a thumper or make one! thumb
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Thumping - 01/13/20 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by sticknstring
I've been wanting to try this for quite some time...I'm definitely going to be trying it out here on Buchanan in the near future-just need to locate a thumper or make one! thumb

You will enjoy it. Get with Bobo on here and he can fix you up with a good thumper.

Re: Thumping - 01/15/20 07:15 PM

Thanks Tck73.
Sticknstring
Give me a call and we can get you fixed up.
Posted By: Curtis L

Re: Thumping - 01/15/20 09:29 PM

[Linked Image]

I'm ready

Thank you Bobo

Re: Thumping - 01/16/20 04:04 AM

Thanks! I hope you have many great days catching fish sir!
Posted By: gborg

Re: Thumping - 01/16/20 03:36 PM

Hard to beat hands free thumping, especially for those whom don't have I-pilot. !! Catch a fish, drop hand held thumper, lose location where fish was just caught , reel in , remove and place in well or back in lake. All the while you are not thumping . If fishing alone, talk about frustrating !! Same feeling received when I-pilot was put on boat. How in the heck did I fish without it !
Game changer .
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Thumping - 01/16/20 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by gborg
Hard to beat hands free thumping, especially for those whom don't have I-pilot. !! Catch a fish, drop hand held thumper, lose location where fish was just caught , reel in , remove and place in well or back in lake. All the while you are not thumping . If fishing alone, talk about frustrating !! Same feeling received when I-pilot was put on boat. How in the heck did I fish without it !
Game changer .

I'll admit I was hold out with the thumping, thought it was low tech hydrowave. But I got me a Bobos last year and now I am sold on it. And I added a on/off remote and couldn't be happier. thumb

Re: Thumping - 01/16/20 05:18 PM

Thanks gborg and 44Diesel!
I sometimes start to worry that some customers don’t have as productive days as they expect catching fish using my thumpers then I get feedback like y’all’s and all is well. It is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Donny Parker

Re: Thumping - 01/17/20 09:04 PM

I am going to try Thumping this year, looking to build one first.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Thumping - 01/18/20 12:29 AM

I have been a believer in thumping for the last 5-6 years. I will also admit we thump in the summer months as well and it still works great.

Re: Thumping - 01/18/20 01:15 AM

I thump all year as well. I also use my splasher when the fish are higher in the water column. I started fishing texoma this summer and fished mostly 40-50 ft deep. I didn’t normally limit on fish but did limit on overs almost every time with fish in the 30” range. I didn’t really catch many box fish until winter.

Re: Thumping - 01/18/20 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Donny Parker
I am going to try Thumping this year, looking to build one first.

You wont regret the change. Find the bait in mouths of creeks, start thumping and watch your screen.
Posted By: Ckolar

Re: Thumping - 01/21/20 05:25 PM

Quick question for the more experienced thumpers out there. I went out this weekend and thumped for the first time and I was absolutely amazed how well it worked. My question is how do you determine the cadence of which you need to thump? I have been on the youtube and I hear it fast and sometimes slow. How do you determine when speed and slow the motor?

Re: Thumping - 01/21/20 06:31 PM

Usually around 90 thumps per minute is a good speed to start. Some people prefer a little slower and some prefer a little faster. I’ve heard some change it as they fish but I’m usually too busy catching fish to have time to be messing with my thumper speed.

Re: Thumping - 01/22/20 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ckolar
Quick question for the more experienced thumpers out there. I went out this weekend and thumped for the first time and I was absolutely amazed how well it worked. My question is how do you determine the cadence of which you need to thump? I have been on the youtube and I hear it fast and sometimes slow. How do you determine when speed and slow the motor?

Time on the water will give you the experience needed for learning curve. Confidence will increase via your experiences with positive results . Many times the thump will draw fish to your boat , however, they are not taking what you are serving. Switching to live bait in the middle of dead sticking is not possible . Some of the Gulp live bait substitutes can be successful !
Posted By: chireno

Re: Thumping - 01/29/20 12:53 AM

Just got my Thumper in today. Can't wait to try it out in the next few weeks on Fork, Sam Rayburn, and Toledo Bend. Thanks Bobo!

Re: Thumping - 01/29/20 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ckolar

I use slower speeds in shallower water sand to see how the fish respond. I tend to use faster speeds in deeper water. Check our this video and you will see why we change the speed...

https://youtu.be/BCVDlEG5dSA

Re: Thumping - 01/29/20 04:47 AM

Chireno,
Your welcome and thank you sir! I hope you have many great years of catching while using it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum