Texas Fishing Forum

Driftsock question

Posted By: massbaster

Driftsock question - 12/27/19 12:40 AM

I've never used one. Are the higher priced socks that much better than the less expensive? Also ,do any of you use your TM to slow your drift instead of the sock?
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Driftsock question - 12/27/19 12:49 AM

The price could mean a better sock. If you want one to last, get the Lindy Magnum, they are really good, I have two that are several years old and get used a few times a month. The original series are decent as well. Boat type and size will determine sock size and number of. If you want an off sized sock, Easterlins Sea Anchor will make them.
Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Re: Driftsock question - 12/27/19 03:10 AM

Have these for sell if interested.
2 Cabela's Advanced Angler Pro Series 56" driftsocks & 2 harness/buoys.
Never been used, new in package. $175 for all
Posted By: gborg

Re: Driftsock question - 12/27/19 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by massbaster
I've never used one. Are the higher priced socks that much better than the less expensive? Also ,do any of you use your TM to slow your drift instead of the sock?

Wave Tamer, is an online purchase. I have a 60 inch that has been in use for @ 7 years. And yes, your troller is a must to use even with the wind sock in order to drift properly . My boat always turns side ways, therefore the troller is a must to fish .
Posted By: Scotty P

Re: Driftsock question - 12/27/19 05:12 PM

I use 2 on my 19' alum boat. I have a 48" and a 60". I wish they were both 60". I have one that is a thick vinyl and one that is thin nylon . I like the nylon better as it is lighter, packs smaller and the material dries way quicker. I put one on the front cleat and one on the back so my boat will drift sideways. This way 4 people can fish at the same time on the same side of the boat and our lines are not drifting into each other. I dont need to use a trolling motor.
Posted By: Ckolar

Re: Driftsock question - 12/27/19 08:19 PM

I have a Cabela's 66" sock and love it. It does a good job on my 20 Fishmaster. I usually tie it off to one of the front cleats and I drift backwards down wind. Depending on how windy it is it will darn near hold the boat still to about .2 mph. Ill graph around marking fish then use the trolling motor to get mw up wind of where I want to drift and slowly work back through it.
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Driftsock question - 12/27/19 08:26 PM

I have two cabelas brand drift socks and they are quality. I bought them based on chad Ferguson’s recommendation in one of his ebooks after he tried multiple other brands.
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: Driftsock question - 12/28/19 02:50 PM

I have a cabelas and I am happy with then. My only suggestion is to buy a big one. What boat do you have? I had a 20' skeeters bass boat and bought the 56" first and then ended up buying the 66" to keep me slow enough on windy days. I sold my bass boat and bought a 24' bay boat and sold the 56" sock and bought a 78". I kept the 66" for 10mph wind days but anything over that I use the 78" to keep my slow enough.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Driftsock question - 12/28/19 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by massbaster

Socks will give consistent speed. You can use TM also but with vaiable winds, its hard to keep your lure at correct depth.

Re: Driftsock question - 12/29/19 03:09 AM

I've got a 21' Triton. I've got an ultrex with the remote and have tried to slow my drift with it but it is pretty tricky for me anyway

Re: Driftsock question - 12/29/19 03:10 AM

Thanks for all the replies!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum