Texas Fishing Forum

CANYON LAKE HELP PLEASE?!?!

Posted By: DILLIGAF

CANYON LAKE HELP PLEASE?!?! - 12/11/19 06:07 PM

Taking the boys to Canyon next Week, and really want to deadstick some striper. Not real familiar with the patterns there and would really appreciate some advice, please any is very appreciated.
Posted By: Fish Inspector

Re: CANYON LAKE HELP PLEASE?!?! - 12/11/19 06:20 PM

Well you have you work cut out for you.
A good graph and use will help greatly. The wind be be ugly out here also.
Most will Down rig or fish minnows.
Surface activity is real iffy. But it can happen from the dam area clear down past Jacobs.
I've been graphing some shad out on 40-50 fow in the mouths of major coves catfishing.
Sometimes around the channel at the pipes holds fish.
The well out from Potter Creek is always worth checking.
The State fish attractors or also are worth checking.
There in there, and some big ones too. Scattered over a large area.
By some treble hooks and Liver and fish one rod beside it for Catfish. lol
Best of luck.

FI
Posted By: Southtxangler22

Re: CANYON LAKE HELP PLEASE?!?! - 12/13/19 01:52 AM

I’ve caught a ton of striper and whites out of canyon but never had to dead stick. Typically winter time can be really Good fishing. I’ll say this, I haven’t fished it this year. But usually by now the striper and whites have moved away from the dam and started headed up the lake towards the Guadalupe. Backs of creeks early morning. Keep an eye for birds working on a cloudy days with low winds. I throw sassy shade and flukes on jig heads. Water temps down there don’t get cold enough to have to dead stick. Fish will start migrating up rivers pretty soon if not already honestly. Just a little further south the white bass spawn is already happening! Always gunna miss fishing canyon lake.
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: CANYON LAKE HELP PLEASE?!?! - 12/13/19 12:48 PM

Any use trolling deep diving cranks or rapala minnows behind bottom bouncers to locate fish?
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: CANYON LAKE HELP PLEASE?!?! - 12/13/19 02:57 PM

You could also try trolling some umbrella rigs around to locate fish. Once you start getting hit, slow the boat down and start casting swim baits, dead sticking flukes, or drop slabs on them.
Posted By: Fish Inspector

Re: CANYON LAKE HELP PLEASE?!?! - 12/13/19 07:06 PM

I’ve caught a ton of striper and whites out of canyon but never had to dead stick. Typically winter time can be really Good fishing. I’ll say this, I haven’t fished it this year. But usually by now the striper and whites have moved away from the dam and started headed up the lake towards the Guadalupe. Backs of creeks early morning. Keep an eye for birds working on a cloudy days with low winds. I throw sassy shade and flukes on jig heads. Water temps down there don’t get cold enough to have to dead stick. Fish will start migrating up rivers pretty soon if not already honestly. Just a little further south the white bass spawn is already happening! Always gunna miss fishing canyon lake.

STX22 caught more than most at Canyon, do what he says.
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: CANYON LAKE HELP PLEASE?!?! - 12/14/19 10:51 PM

This week I have had good luck in different parts of Tom’s Creek. When hanging near the bigger trees in the back area, jigging right by the boat with bigger Mepps got lots of bites from stripers (all juvies) and whites. I was amazed at how many fish my FF showed had gathered under my boat when I left an area. Also, several whites bit smaller cranks throughout the trees just north of Ramp 5.

Lastly, if you know how to topwater fish, be out there for the calms around 4:30-5:00 p.m. Really lots of top action in that area.
Posted By: DILLIGAF

Re: CANYON LAKE HELP PLEASE?!?! - 12/16/19 02:32 AM

Guys thank you so much for the help. We will be out there Wed-Thur Trying everything you guys said. Lol again thank you
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: CANYON LAKE HELP PLEASE?!?! - 12/16/19 05:59 AM

Better check the weather...front coming in tomorrow and big winds and waves this week. I am probably cancelling tomorrow bc of it. 5-6’ waves??? No thanks....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum