Texas Fishing Forum

Dead Stick Opinion

Posted By: David a B

Dead Stick Opinion - 11/30/19 05:23 PM

Would a stiffer rod work better dead sticking
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Dead Stick Opinion - 11/30/19 05:30 PM

I use ugly stick gx2. 7 ft, 1 solid piece rod. Medium or medium heavy. Cheap rods but they are bad bad boys! Highly recommend them. I use them year round for hybrids deadsticking included.

I absolutely love these rods and have yet to break one after three years of heavy use and most the time I sling hybrids in with the rod. Been very pleased. Ppl have their own opinions on if a lighter rod is more sensitive or a heavy rod is more sensitive by transferring the bite easier so I’m sure you’ll get different opinions on that.
Posted By: beltonbill

Re: Dead Stick Opinion - 11/30/19 05:57 PM

I also use the medium heavy 7 foot Ugly Stick. Reaction time is more important than anything else when dead sticking. Sharp hooks are a close second. If you get a tap or the line moves at all; set the hook immediately. A stiff rod will help the hook penetrate cleanly but they have to have it in their mouth for any of it to matter. If you put the rod in a rod holder, the super sharp hooks may accidentally hook a fish. I prefer to hold it all of the time.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Dead Stick Opinion - 11/30/19 09:13 PM

I don’t like using a stiffer rod, that lessens the fight or battle with the fish which I like. I do use braid line with a monofilament leader on it for better feel and less give in the line
Posted By: Scotty P

Re: Dead Stick Opinion - 11/30/19 09:28 PM

What champion said!
Posted By: David a B

Re: Dead Stick Opinion - 11/30/19 11:33 PM

I am getting 6 medium heavy 7' 6" rod blanks to build. They have fast tips I was thinking of cutting an inch or so off if the tip to give them better hook setting power. Or maybe making them like a deep sea boat rod.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Dead Stick Opinion - 11/30/19 11:46 PM

My favorites for dead sticking are the old brown All-Star "Carolina Rig" rods. Those Blue H20 Rods at Academy in a MH make a good one too. I like a little stiffer tip for a quick hook set, but I like some action in the backbone to enjoy the fight.
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Dead Stick Opinion - 12/01/19 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by beltonbill
I also use the medium heavy 7 foot Ugly Stick. Reaction time is more important than anything else when dead sticking. Sharp hooks are a close second. If you get a tap or the line moves at all; set the hook immediately. A stiff rod will help the hook penetrate cleanly but they have to have it in their mouth for any of it to matter. If you put the rod in a rod holder, the super sharp hooks may accidentally hook a fish. I prefer to hold it all of the time.

Well said. Reaction time is highest priority and I’d argue a heavier rod would help accomplish that by setting the hook faster.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Dead Stick Opinion - 12/01/19 01:24 AM

It’s easy to overthink the gear for dead stiking. Too heavy is no fun...
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Dead Stick Opinion - 12/01/19 01:33 AM

stiff rod light line
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Dead Stick Opinion - 12/01/19 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by RespectTheFish
I use ugly stick gx2. 7 ft, 1 solid piece rod. Medium or medium heavy. Cheap rods but they are bad bad boys! Highly recommend them. I use them year round for hybrids deadsticking included.

I absolutely love these rods and have yet to break one after three years of heavy use and most the time I sling hybrids in with the rod. Been very pleased. Ppl have their own opinions on if a lighter rod is more sensitive or a heavy rod is more sensitive by transferring the bite easier so I’m sure you’ll get different opinions on that.

I use these rods too! They are my favorite for spinning rods...
Posted By: gborg

Re: Dead Stick Opinion - 12/01/19 01:59 PM

6'10" or 7 foot medium heavy, any brand will work. Lighter line is a must for single jigging. All kinds of mixed line arrangements when tandem jigging. Heavy jig on bottom with drop shot hook above or heavy jig first and long tag line with lighter jig on bottom for pendulum action.
Nice to have a choice !
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Dead Stick Opinion - 12/01/19 06:36 PM

I agree with Littlejohn, I fish for fun not numbers, unless I am having a fish fry.
Posted By: Chris Richardson

Re: Dead Stick Opinion - 12/02/19 04:02 PM

Agree with lighter rod being more fun. Reaction time is most critical. Fast tip/braid/hook set with quick wrist flick and arm raise-deadly

It's hilarious to watch most bass fishermen learn to deadstick. After a bite they square up and set their feet, bend their knees, and try to break the fishes jaw but the fish is long gone. 15-20 missed fish later they finally listen and smoke em.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum