Texas Fishing Forum

shad near lake whitney

Posted By: fishfun7368

shad near lake whitney - 10/21/19 02:42 PM

Im heading out to lake whitney on Tuesday anyone know a good place to be able to cast net some shad
thanks for any help
Posted By: FishWrangler2

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/21/19 09:37 PM

Traditionally, a lot of guides would go to Aquilla to get their shad. I’ve never done it though
Posted By: Texas Grown

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/21/19 10:52 PM

In Texas, you can no longer get baitfish in one body of water and transport to another for use. If used or transported, has to be used in the same body of water.

Try around the boat ramps. I've always been able to find a few around the ramps. Then work the banks from there and back to the ramp.
Posted By: onthefish

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/22/19 12:39 AM

shad are pretty much everywhere early in the morning. Find a cove and just start casting on drops and you'll find a bunch of em!
Posted By: mike9582

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/22/19 01:53 AM

texas grown, you are incorrect sir, you may want to read the rules a little closer

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/22/19 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by mike9582
texas grown, you are incorrect sir, you may want to read the rules a little closer

Dang! You may be right Mike. I was unaware that they may have removed that restriction. I am usually pretty thorough on the publishings. But guess I missed this somehow. Shad are one of the baits I use most often.

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/22/19 11:07 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/22/19 11:08 PM

read really carefully
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/22/19 11:23 PM

They sure could word this law a better and make it a lot easier on everybody
Posted By: hunter1st

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/22/19 11:27 PM

So, what is the readout, as I was under the same impression as Mr. TG. I've also heard that if you purchased bait in a bait shop- you needed to retain a receipt for the purchase.

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/23/19 12:05 AM

Mike, the first bullet about "Live fish, including personally caught live bait, in or abroad a vessel in water body from where the fish were caught. Personally caught live bait can be used in the water body where it was caught." in your posting is where I got my post from above about the "No transport to another body of water other than the same body of water". I think we are kinda in agreement. I may not have posted, or worded my post very well. Sorry about that. I was looking for that exact wording on the screen shot you posted. But couldn't find it on the TP&W web sight for some reason. I'll just keep using the bait I catch from the waters I currently am fishing from for that day, I guess hmmm. Whitney shad fished in Whitney. Waco shad in Waco. Ect. just to be safe. grin

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/23/19 01:08 AM

it says live bait cannot be transported in water from one body of water to another. it does however not say the bait cannot be transported. if you use treated tap water, and keep.the proof of the treatment you are good to go!

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/23/19 02:33 AM

I have been checked with treated water, and it wasn't an issue. I also checked with tpwd. because I put on a flathead tournament, where all anglers use live bait. and they said treated tap water, and you are good to go.
Posted By: FishWrangler2

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/23/19 04:33 AM

Wow, didn’t know i was going to create such a stir! Basically, ya’ll are just saying this law is to prevent transporting zebra mussles? Or simply said, you can use bait from Aquilla, but the water they are transported to Whitney in can’t be from Aquilla?
Posted By: hunter1st

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/23/19 09:32 AM

That is about as clear as mud, if its the water and not the bait itself, the statements need corrected.
Posted By: PBrain

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/23/19 07:17 PM

I think 2 commas will clear this up....."Live fish, including personally caught live bait, cannot be transported from the water body where the fish were caught , in or aboard a vessel , IN WATER from the water body where the fish were caught. The commas helped me understand it....I added the caps for emphasis. Vessel, in this case, probably means boat, live well, shad tank, garbage can, plastic jug, etc....anything you are carrying the fish in. My 2 cents worth!
Posted By: Boomerbrewer

Re: shad near lake whitney - 10/23/19 07:27 PM

My understanding is that if you want to transport shad from any lake (unless you are going to another ramp on the same lake) you have to use treated city water and keep the container in your truck, not your vessel. I would love to just keep them in the baitwell on the boat if I could. It would be nice if TPWD could clear this up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum