Texas Fishing Forum

What’s the best cast net??

Posted By: Spencer J.

What’s the best cast net?? - 09/21/19 09:19 PM

Looking to get a cast net for shad on texoma. Any advice on which nets are the best?
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 09/21/19 10:46 PM

I have 3 for different water depths. Betts old salt 7’ 3/8” for 10ft or less, ahi series 300 7’ for 10-20 ft and 7’ Betts deep hole 7’ for over 20’.
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 09/22/19 01:00 AM

I use bait buster you can order on amazon. Not cheap but dang good net
Posted By: gborg

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 09/23/19 11:49 AM

Get. one that has tape , it will stay open all the way to the bottom.Nothing less than 6 foot diameter, and make sure it has at least 30 feet of rope in order to hit the bottom on tuff days in the summer. The weight makes a huge difference , 1.2 pounds per foot is a minimum, the mesh size is critical for various times of the year based on shad hatch-outs. A small mesh size 3/8 and smaller will catch everything and tie up your fishing time taking out bait stuck in the mesh. Half inch will allow most of the tiny shad to pass thru, leaving your desired catch.
If you need assistance on how to throw, you tube is a Weiner.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 09/23/19 12:45 PM

Get whatever you can afford I use a Fitec Super Spreader in 7', and throw it about 5 days a week. They do just fine for me catching bait daily throwing about 3,000 times a year. When you hang one up and tear it up, or lose it, get ready to drop another bunch of coin$. I go thru 4-8 nets a year so it adds up quickly.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 09/23/19 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by RespectTheFish
I use bait buster you can order on amazon. Not cheap but dang good net

+1
Posted By: TCK73

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 09/23/19 03:51 PM

The best one is the one someone else is throwing!

I do prefer Bait Buster nets, 7' and as heavy as you can throw well. I also like 1/2" mesh for the reasons GBorg explained.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 09/24/19 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by gborg
Get. one that has tape , it will stay open all the way to the bottom.Nothing less than 6 foot diameter, and make sure it has at least 30 feet of rope in order to hit the bottom on tuff days in the summer. The weight makes a huge difference , 1.2 pounds per foot is a minimum, the mesh size is critical for various times of the year based on shad hatch-outs. A small mesh size 3/8 and smaller will catch everything and tie up your fishing time taking out bait stuck in the mesh. Half inch will allow most of the tiny shad to pass thru, leaving your desired catch.
If you need assistance on how to throw, you tube is a Weiner.

the taped nets are great..... was able to get some gizzards today in 45-50 fow
Posted By: CDS

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 10/01/19 11:09 AM

I use Bait Buster. I think castnets.com has the best price. Don't forget that Texas law only allows a maximum of 7ft radius. Like some other folks said be sure to get as heavy as you can throw. My favorite net has 1.5 lbs per foot and 1/4 mesh. I like the small mesh size so I don't have to worry about cleaning a bunch of small gilled shad out of my net. 3/8 is a popular size and will sink faster than 1/4", but I don't have any problem catching bait in deep water with 1/4" mesh. 1/4" catches ghost minnows and shiners but does not gill the small shad.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 10/02/19 02:58 PM

CDS: You are spot on. Use the smaller mesh and double the weight. You'll need to buy this online as Academy and others wont stock a net like this. I've never used a taped net but I think its a good idea.

watch this video and practice this in your driveway. First time I threw the net like this it came up full of shad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DmtWT0hVlk
Posted By: ddmm

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 10/02/19 05:14 PM

get a Tim Wade net, you can find them on-line out of Florida. They're made for saltwater so they have plenty of wait.
We order ours from Black Dog bait and tackle.

http://blackdogbait.com/shop/tim-wade-cast-net/

if the link doesn't work, just copy and paste it.
Posted By: flyingmonkey70

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 10/02/19 08:01 PM

Is there anyplace that will repair damaged castnets? I have two that have damage that I would like to get fixed.
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 10/03/19 03:18 AM

I use 60# braid to repair tears in my castnet.
Tie off outside of the tear. Weave through good "squares" on each of the tear then tie off on other end.
If pull off the heavy line at the bottom, same thing just going around the heavy line on one side. Also pay attention to where the lead weight should go.
It does not take that long to fix.
My net does not look very good but still throws nicely and catches shad for me.
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 10/03/19 03:26 AM

Found a good video showing a taped and nontaped cast net being thrown and falling to the bottom.
Taped Net vs. Non-Taped Net for Shrimping
Taped net falls at about 1/2 rate of non taped net but does a much better job of staying open. Also if throw is not great will help open the net during fall.
Also discovered that if pull net up slowly while on bottom it does not raise up off the bottom as much when closing keeping bait from escaping underneath.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 10/03/19 03:12 PM

Thanks Ocelot. I may try taping one of my 7 foot nets. That might be the trick for deep water shad.
Posted By: flyingmonkey70

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 10/04/19 02:48 PM

Thanks for the input ocelot. I will try to work on mine this winter. I use a taped net sometimes and the cool thing is you can see the tape line as it descends so you can get a feel for how open it is under water. My lake Cedar Creek is usually pretty stained, but last weekend I could see the net until it was about 3 feet down.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 10/04/19 03:04 PM

I throw a Tape net in water anything over 15. I throw the 7ft Betts tape net. For shallow water I throw a 7 foot Mako. Good net that wont break the bank
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 10/05/19 09:09 AM

hey brandon , tell that story again. Im still laughing
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 10/05/19 08:36 PM

The only cast net for me is one that has a Perfect Circle Net Thrower installed in it ! Outstanding for water no more than 10 foot deep.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NjhDw3qg5gg
Posted By: ETX_Chad

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 10/13/19 01:06 PM

Ocelot - I can see the braid being easy to work with for repairs and better/easier to tie but does the braid on the net now get hung up on stuff easier and is it tougher on the bait and/or the fish you release after netting?
Posted By: Beaver liqour

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 10/20/19 11:42 PM

The best net is the biggest you can throw that's not mono.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: What’s the best cast net?? - 10/21/19 03:28 AM

Was fishing with a friend today and he asked me how to throw a net. Decided to do a quick video for future reference! This was my Ahi but works with my Betts Deep hole as well.

https://youtu.be/b1XNsVjGxuY
© 2019 Texas Fishing Forum