Texas Fishing Forum

Texoma need a little pre trip help

Posted By: Fishingwithiz

Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/17/19 09:13 PM

The wife and I are headed up that way in three weeks and with it being late September early October just a bit concerned with turnover happening during our time on the water. Can anyone tell me what the lake conditions are and what time turnover “usually” rears it’s ugly heat there? Also if you know where the thermocline is now would also be a big help. Trying to avoid a 1400+ mile drive and end up with the big nasty going on.
Thanks in advance Tight lines.
Posted By: JSouther

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/17/19 10:17 PM

Just got back from there Sunday. I spent all weekend chasing schools of small striper hitting topwater. Caught one over 20 and a boat load of small ones. It was a blast. Don’t know much about Texoma but I just carry a good set of binoculars and look for the big front console falcon boats and follow them. They were schooling around grandpappy point from 7-930 both days.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/17/19 10:28 PM

October seems to be the month to follow the birds. We are heading there most weekends so will keep you posted. I normally thump vs chasing schools but if they hang around will try to catch little ones...
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/17/19 10:41 PM

You can never go wrong trolling on Texoma
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/18/19 02:30 AM

You can go wrong Trolling in Sept, we all call it the Hole Month, for them seem to go into one. this year was a bit late, but I spent last 5 days there and only a few smalls. went to Dam, North Island, Oil Well point, Soldier creek, etc. Oct. as said above, will bring the fun back, and birds, and Big Boys.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/18/19 03:20 AM

Not trying to argue but trolling comes in many forms. I happen to know a guy that is slaying them right now
Posted By: bassfinder78155

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/18/19 10:14 AM

Lots of schooling going on yesterday. Slabs and whopper Ploppers seem to be doing the trick for me

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/18/19 11:06 AM

Thank you I will be looking forward to hearing back from you. Please let me know what you mark the thermocline at that would put my mind at ease. Good luck and tight lines.
Posted By: Krappie-King

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/18/19 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Notaguide
Not trying to argue but trolling comes in many forms. I happen to know a guy that is slaying them right now

+1

Trolling has been working. The fish are still in a summer pattern
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/18/19 07:57 PM

Usually start close to the dam this time of year then keep eye out for birds . But early is usually key too in summer months
Posted By: Texas is great

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/24/19 12:40 AM

I'm going to try Texoma tomorrow through Thursday...thanks for the tips above to all of you. Tom Texoma is a great lake. Such diversity.

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/24/19 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by New at this
I'm going to try Texoma tomorrow through Thursday...thanks for the tips above to all of you. Tom Texoma is a great lake. Such diversity.

That it is. This is a picture of our trip a couple weeks ago. Smallies were caught off rocky points with topwater plugs. Striper caught trolling ledges. I'll be up there in a week so hoping for continued good reports. Let us know how it goes and good luck.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas is great

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/24/19 11:09 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm going tomorrow. Rained for a while in Denison. Hope it doesn't slow the fish up.

'
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/26/19 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Krappie-King
Originally Posted by New at this

That it is. This is a picture of our trip a couple weeks ago. Smallies were caught off rocky points with topwater plugs. Striper caught trolling ledges. I'll be up there in a week so hoping for continued good reports. Let us know how it goes and good luck.

[Linked Image]

Smallies are a lot of fun. Probably one of the best fighters lb for lb. It has been quite a while since I fished for them on Texoma. I had heard the numbers were down but maybe not.
Posted By: GoPokes

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/27/19 07:34 PM

How about the turnover??? I'll be there with the fam mid-October, hoping not to have to deal with that.

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/28/19 12:55 AM

I don't think we have had cool enough weather to induce the turn. I bet mid October

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/30/19 02:36 PM

How did your trip turn out?

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/30/19 05:20 PM

Mine was not good. One skinny striper off the island by the dam early. The little cats would not leave us alone. We headed up towards Platters mid morning. It was obvious from the boat show that there had been some schooling activity at some point. Looked like there was some sort of green trash fish tournament going on. We got to the ramp just in time. Must of been 10-12 BBs either launching, beached, or idling out of the cove.

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 09/30/19 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper
Mine was not good. One skinny striper off the island by the dam early. The little cats would not leave us alone. We headed up towards Platters mid morning. It was obvious from the boat show that there had been some schooling activity at some point. Looked like there was some sort of green trash fish tournament going on. We got to the ramp just in time. Must of been 10-12 BBs either launching, beached, or idling out of the cove.

That's too bad. Those ditch pickle tournaments can get the lake crowded in a hurry.

Were you trolling, drifting, or using live bait? I'm headed out there this weekend, and was hoping for a little better report. Hopefully this north wind later in the week will turn the fish on.

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 10/03/19 01:32 PM

We had a change of our plans since we were going there this coming weekend and found out there was a really big bass tournament scheduled rooms hard to come by and honestly don’t want to deal with all that . Thanks everyone for your comments.

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 10/03/19 02:17 PM

Is there a website to check to see what lakes have tournaments on them that weekend? I checked here https://www.laketexoma.com/events
but wasn't sure if that was the best place to look. I'll be up there tomorrow and Saturday, hopefully no bass tournaments. Looks like there is a big one next weekend...

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 10/03/19 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Krappie-King
Originally Posted by Stump jumper

That's too bad. Those ditch pickle tournaments can get the lake crowded in a hurry.

Were you trolling, drifting, or using live bait? I'm headed out there this weekend, and was hoping for a little better report. Hopefully this north wind later in the week will turn the fish on.

bait, very easy to find. I think the flood was good for shad reproduction.

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 10/04/19 02:43 PM

There is more shad in that lake then I've ever seen. It seems like I've marked shad in all depths and huge balls all over the lake. The stripers over 20" are still pretty thin. I'm sure they will start to fatten up because the 12-16" ones are fat as all get out. I can't wait for the fall bite woot

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 10/05/19 03:16 PM

Not sure I just happened across it on this forum when I searched Texoma there seemed to a good deal of chatter with the bass guys.
Posted By: GoPokes

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 10/07/19 08:34 PM

Any more word on the turnover??
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 10/08/19 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by GoPokes
Any more word on the turnover??

Today was the first day since June not in the 90s. Supposed to be back up into the 90s by the end of the week. I don't think turnover is coming too soon.

That said every fish in every Lake eats almost every single day turn over or not.
Posted By: shadtank

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 10/08/19 02:11 AM

I am a guige on texoma the fishing is awesome the fish r schooling all over the lake a lot of fish on table top to platter flats to Wichita flats bait is very plentiful u can catch them on topwater chasing the schools or using shad off the river ledges in about 30 to 35 foot water or u can troll if u r going to troll stay away from a stationary boat a lot of the trolling going on right know r by the people that cant fish normal boring fishing is what i call it if ya need more help u can pm me
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 10/11/19 04:33 PM

Any idea on what this cold front will do to the bite?
Posted By: Chaparro75

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 10/12/19 01:38 AM

I’m hoping for the best. Headed out there tomorrow morning

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 10/12/19 03:35 AM

I’m heading out Sunday and will look for top water like shadtank said and then switch to shad and thumper.

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 10/15/19 09:09 PM

How'd everyone do this past weekend? I fished the weekend of the 5th and 6th and found them schooling near Eisenhower both days. A lot of smaller fish but found one school with bigger fish. I'll be out there Saturday and hoping this colder weather turns the fish on.

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 10/16/19 02:30 AM

Could not find bait in my usual spots so decided to slab. We fished by the dam, table top and mack creek Thumped in plenty of fish on all spots but could not get them to bite. They showed interest in the lures but no takers. Marked fish both spots and could see them check out the lures but did not catch much on slabs. Will try the burn method next time. Found schoolies across the point from Mack Creek under birds but they were pretty small. If you stay Sunday give me a call, have to coach Saturday!
Posted By: Chaparro75

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 10/16/19 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by shadtank
I am a guige on texoma the fishing is awesome the fish r schooling all over the lake a lot of fish on table top to platter flats to Wichita flats bait is very plentiful u can catch them on topwater chasing the schools or using shad off the river ledges in about 30 to 35 foot water or u can troll if u r going to troll stay away from a stationary boat a lot of the trolling going on right know r by the people that cant fish normal boring fishing is what i call it if ya need more help u can pm me

“schooling all over the lake a lot of fish on platter flats to Wichita flats bait is very plentiful u can catch them on topwater chasing the schools or using shad off the river ledges in about 30 to 35 foot water” this was solid advice for me. I don’t have a thumper so the fish just kept movin through caught one 22” and 7 small fish. Caught bait by the train tracks. Saw shad flicker threw 6’net and caught more bait than I knew what to do with.

Re: Texoma need a little pre trip help - 10/16/19 12:34 PM

Good advice y'all. So I got a question for you Striper experts, when you get on a good school of stripers, and catch lets say 15 fish between 12-16" are there bigger fish underneath them? Or is this just a small school of fish? I have yet to catch a big 5+ pound striper with these smaller fish. It seems like the bigger fish have been in relatively smaller schools but they are all 5-10 pounds. What are y'alls experiences with this?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum