Texas Fishing Forum

Found a big school - now what?

Posted By: schanz

Found a big school - now what? - 08/15/19 02:32 AM

What should I do when I find a big school of whites in summer? I've come across several big, active schools of whites in 25' to 30' while trolling. I set the spot lock and anchor above them and drop spoons, cast rooster tails, but only catch 1 or 2. I can catch a couple trolling through the school on every pass, but not casting.

What should I be throwing?
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/15/19 11:57 AM

Fish are moving a 100 MPH right now.
Johnny
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/15/19 12:12 PM

Thump to keep them under you
Posted By: gborg

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/15/19 03:05 PM

If you don't have side image , not much you can do beside guess , toss in all directions and keep troller on jack rabbit.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/16/19 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ledeez

That worked for me last weekend. Fish were scattered and thumper brought them in!

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/16/19 01:45 AM

These schools aren't moving. We can catch a couple each troll through them, and circle around and do it again and again.

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/16/19 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by scubaarchery
Originally Posted by Ledeez

That worked for me last weekend. Fish were scattered and thumper brought them in!

Are you casting to them?

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/16/19 03:44 AM

No, the ones we were casting to were schoolies. We caught all of our overs thumping in 30-40 foot on shad. The graph videos I took were when we were thumping. You can hear it in the videos.
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/16/19 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by schanz

What should I do when I find a big school of whites in summer? I've come across several big, active schools of whites in 25' to 30' while trolling. I set the spot lock and anchor above them and drop spoons, cast rooster tails, but only catch 1 or 2. I can catch a couple trolling through the school on every pass, but not casting.

Watch Dennis Christian’s video. Works very well for me on Joe Pool and Bardwell. I use a tail spinner also, using his same technique. Hope this helps.
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/16/19 04:07 PM

Hell pet works good this time of year, as Sandjohnny pointed out they are moving fast.
Combination of a hell bender and pet spoon

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/20/19 09:58 PM

What is thumping?
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/20/19 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jake Blood
What is thumping?

Thumping is literally making a thumping sound on your boat to attract fish. Some people use their net pole and thump the floor of the boat. Others such as myself have built an automatic device to create a thumping sound.

Here’s what my thumper looks like...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LozMWb94aTk
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/21/19 01:52 AM

Wow counter intuitive to what I have always been told, be quiet in the boat lol... that is cool though, thanks for sharing that. I never have luck chasing sandies unless they are busting the top... not good at reading my finders.
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/21/19 03:45 AM

Thumping really does work. Yes, it's opposite of what many of us grew up with. You can get by with tapping (thumping) your net handle or a paddle, on the bottom of your boat, to do the same thing. There's videos if you look up "thumping for..." I don't think you'll call them from across the lake though.
Learning how to read your finder is time well spent.

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/22/19 12:51 AM

I agree, Thumping can normally concentrate otherwise scattered fish. I use my thumper and my Panoptix. If the fish build up and bite in 10 minutes, keep fishing. If not move on. The other thing that you can do is change frequency to entice bite. I have a bunch of videos on my site,

www.thump’emupfishing.com

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/22/19 12:53 AM

Sorry autocorrect got me...

https://www.thumpemupfishing.com
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/22/19 01:05 AM

We have been sitting near schools many times when someone would come flying up in a 20-21' Glitter Rocket and run right up on top of the school.

The fishing always goes from good/great to no bites at all when they do it. hammer

We will just sit back and get a cool drink and maybe a snack and let them lose interest when they don't catch any in a few minutes.

After that they will jerk the trolling motor up and speed off to the next "way point" and see if they are biting there.

It doesn't take long for them to start biting again and the fun resumes. fish
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/22/19 05:48 PM

Personally I think thumping in the summer is a waste of time

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/22/19 08:32 PM

Screen shot or it didn’t happen
Posted By: RHO

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/22/19 09:29 PM

Just purchased one. Can't wait to get it and try it out !!

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/23/19 03:14 AM

I have thumped successfully next to boats fishing the technique I was (slabs at Lavon, live bait at Lewisville and Texoma) and we managed to catch a few more fish than they did every time. I wouldn’t say it’s a waste at all especially since it’s easy to do. That said to each his own...
Posted By: Coachzee

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/23/19 07:36 PM

When the going gets tough I’ll mepps it like DC. seems to never fail. Plain Agial spinner, no white skirt size 4.

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/24/19 02:52 AM

Don’t get me wrong. I’ve got an indentation in the floor from my converted walking stick hammering out the tunes in the winter. I just think it’s a waste of time in the summer.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Found a big school - now what? - 08/24/19 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Notaguide
Don’t get me wrong. I’ve got an indentation in the floor from my converted walking stick hammering out the tunes in the winter. I just think it’s a waste of time in the summer.

Agreed for us as well via PK and Bporte. Only thing that has worked is to cut up shad and spread around boat when fish are on screen. And even this approach is short lived.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum