Texas Fishing Forum

Anybody Fishing Benbrook

Posted By: Launcher400

Anybody Fishing Benbrook - 08/12/19 06:47 PM

Is anybody fishing Benbrook for whites and hybrids these days? Any results? I have been giving it a go lately, after not fishing much the last couple of years, and I just don't see much activity and no catches of whites or hybrids at all, just some yellows. I read the COE report for the lake from 2017 and it pretty much said this ... fishing for these species has dropped way off from the Benbrook of Old. Also said the hybrid stockings for the last multiple years were almost completely ineffective due to constant drawdown of the lake as well as flooding. Shad everywhere, just no whites!
Posted By: TexasPete

Re: Anybody Fishing Benbrook - 08/13/19 06:44 PM

last I fished a week ago could only find the whites in the bubbles at the damn using rattle traps, along side me were two other boats doing same
Posted By: JSouther

Re: Anybody Fishing Benbrook - 08/14/19 12:56 AM

I just had this discussion with a buddy last week. I have lived and fished Benbrook the last 15 years and used to catch hybrids from the bank at Baja beach all the time before the drought. Neither one of us have caught one or seen them schooling in a long time. Now I just crappie fish out there and they have been on fire.
Posted By: Launcher400

Re: Anybody Fishing Benbrook - 08/14/19 03:52 PM

Thanks for the responses. I fear a comeback of the whites/hybrids will be tough given the summer drawdown of the lake every year ... may try the bubblers for grins. Still catching a few largemouths on worms and dragging cranks on the rocks. I need to give crappie fishing a little more attention ... i’ve tried it off and on and enjoyed it, and have run across some brush piles with the electronics that are worth a go.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Anybody Fishing Benbrook - 08/14/19 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by JSouther
I just had this discussion with a buddy last week. I have lived and fished Benbrook the last 15 years and used to catch hybrids from the bank at Baja beach all the time before the drought. Neither one of us have caught one or seen them schooling in a long time. Now I just crappie fish out there and they have been on fire.

PM Sent
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum