Texas Fishing Forum

Texoma?

Posted By: Drs1310

Texoma? - 08/06/19 09:25 PM

Headed up to Texoma for a couple days. Anybody know if the strippers are still working early?
Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

Re: Texoma? - 08/06/19 09:45 PM

Good to great but You better be there when it happens
Posted By: mwfishin

Re: Texoma? - 08/06/19 10:15 PM

A friend of mine who is up there fishing this week, called me today and said it has been a later bite. Not really starting good, till about 9
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Texoma? - 08/06/19 10:47 PM

Late and lots of dollar bills are needed. Good luck.
Posted By: Krappie-King

Re: Texoma? - 08/07/19 03:54 PM

I fished up there about a week ago. One morning the top-water bite was on fire, and we found schooling fish for 3 hours in the morning. The next morning the fish had moved, and the top-water bite was sporadic and didn't last long. We caught our biggest Stripers vertically jigging structure in 35-40 foot of water. Most top water fish were pretty small, especially later in the day.

If your into live bait fishing there is currently shad EVERYWHERE. Look in the back of coves that have grass in it. Good luck.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Texoma? - 08/07/19 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by mwfishin
A friend of mine who is up there fishing this week, called me today and said it has been a later bite. Not really starting good, till about 9

It was that way for us the weekend before last. Pics are 11 to noon. First one came on a 9" gizzard. I think that stirred them up. We sat there for close to 20 minutes without a bite before I put that gizzard on. During summer I have seen schools follow a hooked fish up until they see the boat. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: camo-jorts

Re: Texoma? - 08/07/19 06:44 PM

We are literally on the boat right now on the largest school I have ever been on. My 16 year old and I have boat over 100 in the last hour and half with Sammy 110 American shad color and whopper plopped. When they go down we are trolling Bandit 300 series in root beer and chrome/blue. Few of 4-8 pounders mixed in and not another boat on this school. Southeast of Washita Point 3/4 to 1 mile in 28-40 foot of water.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Texoma? - 08/07/19 07:00 PM

Wish I was there. Lucky day for you guys.
Posted By: mwfishin

Re: Texoma? - 08/07/19 07:14 PM

Great of you to share a good report like that. Not many will.

Re: Texoma? - 08/07/19 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by mwfishin
Great of you to share a good report like that. Not many will.

Thanks. We just got to the room. It was brutal hot with little to no wind (thank God for T Tops) but fishing was incredible. Found good schools early in the morning southwest of willow springs a mile or so from the tracks. between all the guide boats who are working to make a living we backed off and still caught 20-30. Lots of folks slabbin’ but looked like they were smaller fish. Bigger fish were on bigger top waters. Even after noon bigger fish were still active. In total I would say we boated and released 150 plus fish in 7 hours. Going to relax for a couple of hours and go hit it again. Figure this is our last multi day trip before school starts. Y’all should call in sick tomorrow and get in on the action!
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Texoma? - 08/07/19 08:52 PM

Many thanks for the update.
Looks like you are having a blast.
I am going up to Texoma for 3 days of kayak fishing starting tomorrow.
Will be fishing around Preston point.
Hope I can have just a little bit of the success you are having.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Texoma? - 08/08/19 09:44 AM

Congratulations on an epic trip! That is awesome!
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Texoma? - 08/08/19 06:08 PM

Congrats on the great outings, sounds like fun, we''ll be out there Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, can't wait!

Re: Texoma? - 08/08/19 10:53 PM

Today was weird not a single fish before 8:30. So we ran to Alberta Creek to have breakfast. Crazy how an hour changed everything. Switched to Strike King 5 & 6 XD’s. Majority of our fish were in the 3-5 pound range with the largest being 14. Noticed the guides were all trolling Alabama rigs catching smaller fish. We were fishing under the schools and catching incredible size stripers. Of course they were off the water around 11 which I get but they missed it. From 11-2 fishing was insane. Wind was a nice relief after the last couple of days with no wind. Going to put the boat up for a couple of days and probably head back out Monday or Tuesday. Guys I’m an open book when it comes to Texoma so if I can be of any help please feel free to reach out.

Re: Texoma? - 08/10/19 09:46 PM

Went kayak fishing off of Preston point Thursday evening, Friday and this morning.
Wind was from the south so not blowing the shad towards the shore.
Fished all up and down the west side saw some large schools of shad very shallow but no striper.
Found some fish on the finder at 15-25ft in 30-50fow.
I did not have any shad but tried everything else I had and could not buy a bite.
Only saw bait fish jumping twice the whole time.
As packing up today, wind shifted around some to the west and guides were fishing a good ways out for about an hour.
As for me, I got to spend a lot of time in the kayak enjoying the outdoors.

Re: Texoma? - 08/12/19 01:33 AM

Fished today with some friends and some great advice from camo-Jorts. Launched at Eisenhower, caught some bait and headed toward Wachita point. There were fish blowing up over the creek bed right outside the park so we spent an hour chasing the school. If we got into them it was instant hookup and we caught several that were too small to bother with. I really enjoy the topwater nite so messed around longer than I should have but eventually we headed to the point.

Saw a bunch of marks on the screen and tried the thumper and splasher. We could see the fish on the Panoptix, sometimes having a meeting around our shad but only managed a big drum, a small over and some catfish. Catfish were killing our baits so we headed to where the boat show was by Mack Creek. Saw a few scattered fish and decided to give the thumper and splasher a try. We saw some fish deep and a couple high. We caught 2 catfish and didn’t see much on the graph. We were reeling in to look someplace when Cliff picked up another over. Suddenly it was game on. The fish showed up in force and we kept fish under the boat for the next thirty minutes and picked up the rest of our overs . [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Denny Crane

Re: Texoma? - 08/12/19 02:46 AM

We launched out of platter flats, ran across to the point at daybreak but didn't see any blowups.
Headed towards the RR Bridge and saw the boat show forming, at one time there was 23 boats trolling alabama rigs at 15 ft. and everyone was catching the dinks.
This continued until 10 or so when we had finally had enough and headed home.
Kinda a love hate with the pre dawn topwater challenge, and will have to put in more work to pattern them for a more consistent bite and locations.
Thanks to Camo-Jorts for the share...

Denny

Re: Texoma? - 08/12/19 06:08 AM

Those are some nice striper there scabaarchery.
Hope I can get a couple like that next time I am up there.

Re: Texoma? - 08/12/19 12:50 PM

Those are the biggest caught on any boat I have been on! They were huge! I used my thumper on a fast setting and it took a while but it really drew them in!
Posted By: JSouther

Re: Texoma? - 08/14/19 12:45 AM

Those are some nice fish. Headed there next weekend taking father in law and staying at Sheppard Annex. Do y’all have any spots worth trying close to the Willis Bridge or just take the long boat ride to the previous spots mentioned. I have always just stayed close to the cabins cause I don’t know the lake too well.

Re: Texoma? - 08/14/19 01:45 AM

Here are some spots in that area. I haven’t fished that part in a few months though... [Linked Image]
Posted By: JSouther

Re: Texoma? - 08/14/19 03:09 AM

Thanks for the info I’ll give it a try

Re: Texoma? - 08/14/19 03:35 AM

Short video from last trip...

https://youtu.be/t41sb_ooI-I
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum