Texas Fishing Forum

Austin area striper?

Posted By: SOCALCARPER

Austin area striper? - 07/19/19 02:43 AM

I live in round rock and will like to try my luck at my first striper they are very interesting fish and would love to catch one. where would you guys recommend to go near here?
it’ll be and my lil brother fishing only bank fishing no boat.
We catch and release

Any help and info will be appreciated like baits to use hooks and so forth.

Thank you in advance
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Austin area striper? - 07/19/19 02:17 PM

Lake Travis has some big Stripers. Also Buchanan is a great striper and hybrid fishery even though she is fishing tough right now. Inks is fishing great for Stripers right now.
Posted By: chascat

Re: Austin area striper? - 07/19/19 02:27 PM

Fishing from the bank you will have better luck in the tail race of one of the lakes dam. Not the best time of the year for that..

Re: Austin area striper? - 07/22/19 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by BrandoA
Lake Travis has some big Stripers. Also Buchanan is a great striper and hybrid fishery even though she is fishing tough right now. Inks is fishing great for Stripers right now.

any tips from the bank or is it even possible

Re: Austin area striper? - 07/22/19 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by chascat
Fishing from the bank you will have better luck in the tail race of one of the lakes dam. Not the best time of the year for that..

when is the best time for striper fishing?

Re: Austin area striper? - 07/22/19 01:45 PM

Dam tail race fishing is best from January thru March and sometimes April..The amount of rain we have in that part of the year will
determine how early or late that run will go on.

Re: Austin area striper? - 07/24/19 01:50 AM

Me and my Bri when out caught some whites biggest at 13.5 inches

Re: Austin area striper? - 07/24/19 01:51 AM

No stripers though we went to belton

Re: Austin area striper? - 07/24/19 02:43 PM

Good if you caught white bass you are in the right place. The striped will be there also. Different times of the year they will become
more concentrated in that spot.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Austin area striper? - 07/24/19 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by chascat
Good if you caught white bass you are in the right place. The striped will be there also. Different times of the year they will become
more concentrated in that spot.

Depends on the lake. Not all lakes have stripers.
Posted By: Txbassin

Re: Austin area striper? - 07/26/19 11:45 AM

PB. Bass 13.8#
That's a very impressive PB. I'm surprised that you aren't hooked on bass fishing.

Re: Austin area striper? - 07/26/19 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Txbassin
PB. Bass 13.8#
That's a very impressive PB. I'm surprised that you aren't hooked on bass fishing.

That my biggest to date, but gave up about 6years ago when i caught my first carp. I was consistently catch big bass from shore fishing. before the 13.8 i caught two bass around 11lbs that same week was very addicted to it but as a catch and release fisherman (99.9%) of the time i hooked into a carp and that was it. now im trying something new to me but i heard striper are great fun to catch just hoping to catch one
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum