Texas Fishing Forum

Sand Bass help.

Posted By: Burgerboy

Sand Bass help. - 06/06/19 12:14 AM

A friend asked me besides spoons what you all have good luck on for sand bass. I do not intentionally target them so I was not a lot of help. Any lure suggestions for me for Sand Bass ? Thanks,
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/06/19 02:02 AM

Grubs, crankbaits.
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/06/19 02:17 AM

Bomber slab spoons - 7/8 oz
Kastmaster spoons
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/06/19 02:30 AM

Jerk baits, lipless cranks, basically anything that mimics shad.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/06/19 02:32 AM

Little George's and similar baits

Rat-L-Traps and similar lipless crankbaits

Top Waters if they are breaking the surface.

Diving Crankbaits

Spoons

Jig Heads with Grubs etc.
Posted By: jhadaway117

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/06/19 03:22 AM

Humdinger! They look like little George's but in my opinion work way better. Get them in 1/2 oz white with the glow in the dark paint. [Linked Image]
Posted By: RL206

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/06/19 03:39 AM

Its best to cut all the hooks but one on anything you use.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/06/19 04:11 AM

top water cranks when schooling. You'll get hit every cast. Trouble with sand bass is the poop all over your boat,
Posted By: JoshT254

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/06/19 05:58 AM

Traps and cranks. Anything with some action and small enough for their mouth. You can throw bigger baits to targer the larger fish in the school. In my experience the smaller ones are on top and the larger fish feed under them.
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/06/19 11:02 AM

Read the article and watch the video pointed to in my signature block.
Posted By: Burgerboy

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/06/19 03:58 PM

Thank you all. I am passing it on and appreciate it.
Posted By: RHO

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/06/19 04:39 PM

I always use RSR's silver/chartreuse shad
Posted By: Jaybonnett

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/07/19 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by RL206

Is that just for quick removal?
Posted By: OleMissPharmacy

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/08/19 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

Rat-L-Traps and similar lipless crankbaits

Was using a Rat-L-Trap one time catching sand bass in some newly flooded brush on a main lake point. Caught a few sandbass, then on one cast the lure landed and I made a few turns of the reel handle and got a hit that was like a freight train and my line started heading out to deeper water. My friend saw the pole bent and asked me if I was hung up. Hell yeah I was hung...on a 7.25 lb largemouth bass!! My personal best.
Posted By: RL206

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/08/19 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybonnett

Yes, and less chance of getting yourself hooked.
Posted By: Jaybonnett

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/08/19 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybonnett

Yes, and less chance of getting yourself hooked.

That’s a great idea. I was just telling a fishing buddie Sunday morning how frustrating it is to get on a school and be fumbling with a fish because of trebles. Thanks for that!
Posted By: beltonbill

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/08/19 07:27 PM

It gets way better if you use barbless hooks. Let the fish lay on the deck for a second and his twisting and turning will throw out the hook. You get all of the hook setting power of three hooks and none of the frustration of getting the fish off the hook. If you keep a tight line, you will not lose many from shaking the hook with a barbless design. I've made the trip to the doctor three times in the past but not any more. I do a lot of catch and release and the barbless hooks are way better on the fish.
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/14/19 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by jhadaway117
Humdinger! They look like little George's but in my opinion work way better. Get them in 1/2 oz white with the glow in the dark paint. [Linked Image]

Please share where you found that lure , I have searched online for humdinger lures and I can not track it down. Thanks
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/14/19 11:29 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates treble hooks! I have gotten in the practice of cutting one the hooks off so it's only two and I haven't noticed any decrease in landings. If anything, when I get into the school I can get the fish off faster and quickly get back to catching!
Posted By: mickeytfc

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/14/19 11:41 PM

I was just in the garage cutting off one of the treble hooks of a bunch of lures. I'm glad to hear someone else does that! Must be an Abilene thing, I grew up and still have family there.
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/15/19 01:18 AM

I never use treble hooks for sandbass. Either it takes to long to remove them from the hook and start flopping and you get one in the hand.
Posted By: DSTORMS

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/15/19 06:26 AM

For Sandies in the Summer, take a pair of needle nose pliers and crush the barbs on your hooks. As its reasonable to catch a few hundred surfacing fish a day, no need it ripping their mouths off if you catch and release. I've caught a few thousand this way. Limit is 25 per person if you want to keep them.
Posted By: FishinTime

Re: Sand Bass help. - 06/15/19 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by DarrellSimpson
Originally Posted by jhadaway117

Please share where you found that lure , I have searched online for humdinger lures and I can not track it down. Thanks

http://www.humdingerlures.com/p/blog-page_1.html?m=0
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum