Texas Fishing Forum

Texoma striper schooling

Posted By: DNewt

Texoma striper schooling - 06/04/19 07:43 PM

I was at Texoma yesterday and the striper were boilng the water for hours, the problom is they wouldn't look at anything I had except for a chrome Rattle-trap. This isn't the first time this has happened to me up there, after throwing everything I had at them I wonder what others are doing to catch them. I tried jigs, swimbaits, anything shad imitaion in a crankbait I had, topwater poppers etc......
Posted By: kerr dog

Re: Texoma striper schooling - 06/04/19 08:38 PM

Just got home from there. Wish I had that problem. We never could find them. Finally caught a small one on a crappie minnow. Didn't travel much becaause of the weather. Rode around looking for a campsite. That was a wast of time.
Posted By: SmokeDraw

Re: Texoma striper schooling - 06/05/19 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by DNewt
I was at Texoma yesterday and the striper were boilng the water for hours, the problom is they wouldn't look at anything I had except for a chrome Rattle-trap. This isn't the first time this has happened to me up there, after throwing everything I had at them I wonder what others are doing to catch them. I tried jigs, swimbaits, anything shad imitaion in a crankbait I had, topwater poppers etc......

I notice early in summer they are feeding on super small shad like 1/2" to 1" in size. They get locked in on that size bait and will not eat anything else. Have to seriously down size to catch them but the fish feeding on them are typically pretty small.
Posted By: BROWNING STRONG

Re: Texoma striper schooling - 06/05/19 03:55 PM

DID YOU CATCH ANYTHING WITH SIZE ?
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Texoma striper schooling - 06/05/19 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by SmokeDraw

I notice early in summer they are feeding on super small shad like 1/2" to 1" in size. They get locked in on that size bait and will not eat anything else. Have to seriously down size to catch them but the fish feeding on them are typically pretty small.

I told this story before but will tell it again. I was live bait fishing with soon to be wife in mid June once. Got up late (about 8) and headed out to get bait. Caught a ton of little 3-4" threadfins. I threw most of them back but a few ended up in the tank with the larger ones I finally located. Went out to tabletop about 9. We sat there for 2-1/2 hours with the rod tips just vibrated. Within a few minutes you would pull up a scaled dead shad. Now these were large threadfins. I finally told the soon to be wife to put one of the 6 little ones on. Bam like 7 or 8 fish instantly off the 6 little baits we had. I always try to keep a variety now. Last weekend at Twok the largest hybrid of the morning came off one of the smallest baits.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Texoma striper schooling - 06/05/19 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by SmokeDraw

^^^^^
This.
Those fish are rarely worth catching anyways. All smalls up top.
Posted By: shadboy

Re: Texoma striper schooling - 06/05/19 08:28 PM

As others said probably very small bait.

Put a big 5” sassy shad on and launch as far as possible into boil. Let sink about 10-15 seconds. Sometimes a few big dogs lay underneath looking for something to eat.
Posted By: DNewt

Re: Texoma striper schooling - 06/05/19 09:32 PM

They were all about 15-16 inches, plenty long enough to catch
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Texoma striper schooling - 06/05/19 10:38 PM

I’ve learned that “big bait big fish” is mostly a myth. Match the hatch, this time of year while crappie fishing I use 1” baits to catch slab crappie. If you’re netting 2-3” shad, that’s what the fish are eating and that’s what profile your lure should match.
Posted By: spooncg

Re: Texoma striper schooling - 06/06/19 01:30 AM

I also experienced something similar at Texoma years ago. Water boiling in the morning with boats everywhere and nobody catching anything. I finally put on a roster tail and caught a few, but it was all real small fish, maybe 10 inches long we finally realized.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum