Texas Fishing Forum

First time on Texhoma.

Posted By: FishnDenton

First time on Texhoma. - 03/09/19 11:17 PM

In two weeks my wife and I will be staying at Eisenhower State Park. This will be my first time to fish that particular lake and I was wondering if anyone could share some information with me that would help put some fish in the boat. White bass or stripers preferably but I'll take all the help I can get. I do have a boat with electronics. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Chaparro75

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/10/19 11:09 AM

Wind swept points, look for Birds, and last but not least follow the guides.
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/10/19 01:19 PM

I'll be up there for the first time this weekend also. Going for Stripers. I'll post video
Tim

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/11/19 10:51 PM

Thanks guys.
Posted By: cobia_254_cc

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/11/19 11:54 PM

If you can not find them there I always fish here. This point always hold fish. Mouth of BIg Mineral. I usually troll shad volored Rapalas. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/12/19 12:03 AM

If you can not find them there I always fish here. This point always hold fish. Mouth of BIg Mineral. I usually troll shad volored Rapalas. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/12/19 12:11 AM

Oh wow!! Thanks a bunch. I'll be sure to share how we do. Thanks again.
Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/12/19 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by cobia_254_cc
[Linked Image]

That is goose island sometimes

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/13/19 02:39 AM

Caught a couple pigs this evening [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jbobo

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/13/19 03:26 AM

thumb nice fish!

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/13/19 09:30 AM

Caught a couple pigs this evening [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice! Still deadsticking?
Tim

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/13/19 11:48 AM

Trolling at 20 foot. Caught some throwing crank bait and road runner on 3-20 foot depth.

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/13/19 03:11 PM

Trolling at 20 foot. Caught some throwing crank bait and road runner on 3-20 foot depth.

Thank you. I'll be ready with deadsticking rigs, and will also have some cranks rigged up too.
Tim
Posted By: JB in Ft Worth

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/14/19 12:06 AM

Very nice fish! This must have been before the wind started to blow. It got windy as hell last night in Fort Worth.

I'm heading up to Texoma tomorrow evening. I'm hoping that Friday and Saturday will be good days now that the front has blown through. Hopefully this rain has the creeks flowing a bit.

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/14/19 12:14 AM

Cobia, do you ever fish the Buncombe Creek area? I'm still pretty new to Texoma - been there about 8 times i think. I caught a few up Buncombe Creek on my last trip. Just looking at a chart it looks like a good location for active fish.

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/14/19 12:30 PM

No I have not. I used to fish with a guide 20 years ago but he fished the main river channel with shad.
Posted By: Springcrik

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/15/19 02:27 PM

[Linked Image]

There's a fairly large submerged tree about 150-200 yards north of that point. It might not be visible at the current lake level. I don't know why it hasn't been marked with a buoy or float. I tried to mark it last summer with an old life jacket but it was gone by the end of the week. Be careful coming around that point at high speed

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/15/19 03:13 PM

Will do. Thanks
Posted By: Chaparro75

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/17/19 12:58 PM

[Linked Image]

This right here is what sets this group apart from the ditch pickle crew. You wouldn’t find a post like this in any other forum. You are awesome Cobia 254!

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/17/19 06:19 PM

I was a bass fisherman then I grew up. I have had from a lot of good people on here. There are more striper in Texoma than is imaginable. They need to be thinkers but I throw bigs ones back. Glad I could help.

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/18/19 01:09 AM

After fishing Texoma for the last 2days, I'm impressed by the sheer number of stripers and guides out on the water. There was no bait to speak of. We marked tons of stripers with the livescope, but zero bait balls. Guides couldn't get shad, and deadsticking stopped working last week. It was a very tough bite, so we scaled down to smaller soft plastics and managed some descent ones. Using livescope and seeing their behavior helped us pick up a few. I don't think people did spectacularly this weekend.

The lake was red clay color on the north part of the lake. I went out today for 9 hours and came in with the limit. But that's about 1fish per hour, which is not a good catch rate. For my first trip there, I wasn't impressed with the quality of fish. Maybe this was just a bad week at Texoma. Hopefully the next trip is much much better.
Tim

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/18/19 01:51 AM

No wind and blue bird skies are nice for the fisherman but usually results in low catch rates. That’s my experience anyway
Posted By: JWC Nauticstar

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/18/19 03:11 PM

I was out there Saturday from noon till 6 and I only landed 3 fish. A 7 lb, 11lb and a small 14"er. We could see the 377 bridge approx. a mile or more to the west. Drifting 5" flukes. Only ones I saw catch any numbers were the guides with live bait. Drifting and not using spot lock was the only thing that worked for us. Then the wind died and it was over.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/18/19 06:19 PM

I was with Tim on Saturday. The fish were there in force but were pretty finicky. We did good moving as well, no luck with spot lock but better luck with drifting.
Posted By: TexasBlonde

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/18/19 09:57 PM

40 years ago, I laughed when the fishing guides were cursing stripers until they changed their tune and the trash fish became cash fish, lol.

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/18/19 11:47 PM

Looks like it's going to rain Saturday and Sunday but Friday will be clear. Thanks for all the info everyone. It's be way more than I expected and very much appreciated!!!
Posted By: WylieWalker

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/19/19 01:22 PM

What water temps y’all seeing?

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/19/19 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by JWC Nauticstar
I was out there Saturday from noon till 6 and I only landed 3 fish. A 7 lb, 11lb and a small 14"er. We could see the 377 bridge approx. a mile or more to the west. Drifting 5" flukes. Only ones I saw catch any numbers were the guides with live bait. Drifting and not using spot lock was the only thing that worked for us. Then the wind died and it was over.

You must have been nested inside the 100 guides in that area. I couldn't image drifting in that parking lot smile. Many of mine and Eric's friends also turned in near skunks too. Congrats on the oversized one.
Tim

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/19/19 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by scubaarchery
I was with Tim on Saturday. The fish were there in force but were pretty finicky. We did good moving as well, no luck with spot lock but better luck with drifting.

The best thing about the trip was Eric's fish fry after. I didn't join, but the pictures , the pictures...yum. Eric, you have to post the picture here...
Tim

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/19/19 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by WylieWalker

Between 49.5 and 51 depending on part of the lake.
Tim

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/19/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Skunked Again Fishing

The best thing about the trip was Eric's fish fry after. I didn't join, but the pictures , the pictures...yum. Eric, you have to post the picture here...
Tim

These? [Linked Image]
Posted By: diggerwolf

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/19/19 07:23 PM

Tim

These? [Linked Image]

I want in on these fish frys!

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/19/19 07:52 PM

I was in the scrum.... As dense as I am, it took me 2 hours to quit using my trolling motor and start drifting. That was the only reason I caught those 3 fish. A lot of them(guides) parted ways by that time, I notice the artificial bait users were drifting and then we all played nice.

Water Temps were around 51. [Linked Image]

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/19/19 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by diggerwolf

Tim

These? [Linked Image]

I want in on these fish frys!

Here is the recipe...

https://youtu.be/D-ZF3NgRf24
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/19/19 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by TexasBlonde
40 years ago, I laughed when the fishing guides were cursing stripers until they changed their tune and the trash fish became cash fish, lol.

I was hanging out up there at the time as well with the old folks crappie fishing in their boat slips. A school of stripers would come through and break all their lines off. They were not happy. roflmao
Posted By: diggerwolf

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/19/19 10:40 PM

No! I want you to fry them!
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/19/19 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by diggerwolf

No! I want you to fry them!

Yep... in my opinion the best eaters that swim in our lakes. If a person knows how to dress and fry them. cheers

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/19/19 11:05 PM

Does anyone by chance have any recent graph pictures? Since this is my first time fishing Texhoma and for stripers it would be a big help if I knew what I was looking for. Thanks again.

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/20/19 12:33 AM

I wish I had some to show you, all I had were a few marks here or there. My graph was not a big help last week.
Posted By: trophy_chaser

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/20/19 01:58 PM

fyi I've caught nice numbers this time of year trolling power mullet on the opposite point with a S wind- follow the wind and the birds/bait. I wanna fish with you, cobia.

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/20/19 02:39 PM

Well let’s go sometime
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/20/19 03:29 PM

Man that fish fry looks amazing food
Texoma striper is my family's fav for fish tacos. Cant make em fast enough. food

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/20/19 08:23 PM

I am boatless right now but once I get my boat, let’s all head out to the lake on a Saturday. I have several people’s number and we were sharing updates on Saturday but never really got on anything worth congregating on. After we fish we can clean and cook someplace... I can bring the stove and the fixings if someone with a yeti can bring the vanilla bean ice cream!

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/20/19 09:25 PM

That works. I have a yeti. And I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express one time.

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/22/19 11:40 AM

Well we finally made ir. Launching now. I'll let you all know how we do later. Thanks again for all the great advice!

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/22/19 09:28 PM

How did you do?

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/23/19 12:15 AM

Well we didn't get skunked but only because of a very confused 10 pound catfish. Lol
Posted By: Chris B

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/23/19 12:35 AM

I'm a bass fisherman that grew up on Texoma, but keep in mind this time of year the striper start heading to the rivers to spawn. Probably not near as many striper on the lower end of the lake as there is towards the rivers. Good luck.

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/26/19 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by WylieWalker

Between 49.5 and 51 depending on part of the lake.
Tim

This past weekend water temps had jumped to 58. Seemed like a pretty rapid increase.

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 03/26/19 04:54 AM

I was marking quite a few fish on my graph, but getting very few bites. Later a guide was telling me it was due to the water clarity. I guess he cruised "way north" to get past the mud line and his clients did really well. I burned 40 gallons of fuel last weekend and I guess I still didn't go far enough north and east. lol. It's hard to know where to look when you only get up there once or twice a month. It's like - ok, do I cruise up the lake for an hour or do I stop and fish? Ah well, there's always next trip.
Posted By: Springcrik

Re: First time on Texhoma. - 06/01/19 02:11 AM

I downloaded screenshots from my Lowrance HSD7 and I found one with the approximate location of that dead tree off Rocky Point West. I marked it with a red cross, cause if you hit it at high speed, you're gonna need an ambulance.

[Linked Image]

You can read the GPS co-ordinates in the lower LH corner of the map. Hope this helps because that tree is hard to see in low light conditions. You can also see te contour lines
where the old Big Mineral Creek channel runs between the west bank of Rocky Point West and submerged Goose Island... kind of a natural flight path for stripers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum