Texas Fishing Forum

Center console Boats

Posted By: PEDRO H.

Center console Boats - 01/22/19 12:30 PM

Figured this would be the best place to ask.

I’m currently running a 2016 FX21LE but have been debating on selling it and buying a center console. I’m curious on where you guys look for CC boats in the DFW area dealerships ? I’d like to stay with Skeeter but what are your thoughts on other brands? Would like to stay at or above a 200HP Yamaha
I’ll still chase Bass here and there but my main focus will be Crappie,striper, sand bass and Hybrids.
Posted By: JWC Nauticstar

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 01:31 PM

I found mine from an individual, but I have a 2007 Nauticstar 2200 bay with 200hp Yamaha and have really loved it. It will get up and go and top speed with 2 people and a load is about 50 mph. They handle rough water well and I like the 102" wide beam. I do 75% sandies and all others mixed in. I put an Ulterra TM on it and that's been the best investment so far. I looked at the Skeeter but never found one I could afford.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 01:32 PM

Skeeter dealers in the DFW area...... no comment

I've been pretty happy with my Skeeter CC. Zx24bay. Go as long as you can. You'll be glad you did on windy days.
Posted By: Tyler822

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 01:46 PM

Fun N Sun, both locations, usually has a couple Skeeter bay boats in stock. North Texas Marine sells Blue Wave and typically has most models in stock to look at. Those would be my top two if I were in the market. I actually would prefer the Blue Wave over Skeeter. I like their layouts and storage a little better.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 02:40 PM

I suggest talking to some of the striper, hybrid guides. Their learning curve is advanced to ours due to usage. Combine your specific needs and wants ,shop and drive and try to purchase prior to spring. Skeeter and Ranger CC are expensive, they will last. Let us know what you purchased .
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 02:58 PM

I've really enjoyed my Sportsman Masters 227. I was worried the 150 Yamaha may not be enough for the 22' boat, but it's fine and man it sips gas. Top speed loaded with way more than I need is 42 gps. Bilge access is phenomenal, plenty of storage, fit and finish is nice. Really no issues I've found with it. It's a 2013 that I found barely used (3 hours) 2 years ago at Jerry Whittle in Lewisville. If you can find one used for sale, I think they are well worth the look.
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 04:24 PM

Dallas Boat Expo is the first and second weekend in February. They don't usually have a lot on center consoles there but there will still be several. Usually they have Skeeters, Nautic Star, Blue Wave, Sea Hunt. Its a good place to go walk around and see what those manufacturers have to offer.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 04:29 PM

Plano Marine sells and services Skeeter boats.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 05:53 PM

Something to consider is a live bait tank… If you fish live bait and will be using an external tank most regular center consuls will not work for you.

Built in bait wells / tanks do not work for shad, FYI
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 06:19 PM

If buying used you may have to travel to get what you want. My Ranger blew up in May so I was looking at peak season. I have always believed in running max HP and that was one thing that disappointed me in what I was looking for. In 2-3 months I only saw one 22' CC with a 250 on it. I ended up settling for the Champ I have because it was my #1 choice in a hull. I would really like to have a 250 Optimax on it but wonder what I would gain. The Champ has a built in baitwell whether or not it works for shad depend on how you fish. Up until about mid June I have no problems as long as I do not overload it. I normally quit fishing by noon at the latest and normally just 2-3 people. Once we get in to late June - August I have to cut back on how many shad I put in the tank.
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 06:46 PM

Littlejohn makes an excellent point! If you are a live bait fisherman, which I believe everybody who fishes for hybrids/stripers should be at least at different times of the year, then you need to consider where a good bait tank could sit such as the 30 gallon Blue Water Bait tank I use. Takes up a fair amount of floor space probably about 24 inches by 28 inches or so.... Good point!
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 06:55 PM

We looked at 80 brand new center consoles at the boat show and NOT ONE had room for a bait tank!!!

All deck...no floor space on the new concept boats!
Posted By: SALLYSUE

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 08:04 PM

Look at the Blazer Bay I got one and very happy with it
Posted By: honey hole

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 08:40 PM

If you like skeeters...give them a look. I have a friend with a brand new 23' and another with a 21'. They have had good luck with the exception of the 23' had to be sent back the skeeter to be separated so they could fix a fueling issue. The 21' does the same thing except not as bad, you can very slowly fill the tank, anything faster would trip the pump.

I have a 2410 Ranger and LOVE it. It's a solid HEAVY boat and I mean heavy, around 4800lbs full of everything. It runs right at 50 with 3 people loaded and 54 with just me.

My ranger has a 20 gallon baitwell built into the helm seat and it works great for me. In the hot summer, I throw a frozen half gallon jug in at full up and may swap it out early afternoon. I have had zero issues with shad dying except from sunscreen on co-fishers hands....

I looked at Skeeter, Ranger, Pathfinder, Blue Wave, Nautic Star, Blackjack, and Blazer Bay. They all have their positives and would be happy to own any of them.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Capt. Michael Littlejohn
We looked at 80 brand new center consoles at the boat show and NOT ONE had room for a bait tank!!!

I can fit a 24 gallon in front of the console on my boat, but wish I could go larger. It seems like it would be easy for them to offer a "No Livewell Option" on the front of the Console, that would be perfect for a 50 gallon tank. The only ones I have seen do that are the small builders that make flats boats and such like Mowdy and Transcat.
Posted By: Anejo

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 09:04 PM

The best shad tank setup I've seen was on a 22 foot Champion center console that had the leaning post removed. In it's place was a large aftermarket shad tank that not only was used for bait but was also the leaning post/seat. The guy did an excellent job with his project as he had built in some storage. I've considered this several times as a project since I own a 22 foot Champion Bay but I've gotten too old to chase live shad and now I fish with perch almost exclusively. Perch will survive just about anything including grandkids attempting perch-murder. Also, I think the cost of brand new boats are ridiculous so I would advise shopping the used market.
Posted By: MasterCaster

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 09:37 PM

I researched them all. Ended up with the Blue Wave PB2200 (only because the 2400 wouldn’t fit in my slip). I’m extremely happy with it.
Posted By: Blake's Boats

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 10:51 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Re: Center console Boats - 01/22/19 11:59 PM

You can also stop by a BassPro store and look at their Mako 21LTS. They have the best warranty out there - 5 years 100% bow to stern with no pro-rating. 3 years on the gel coat vs cracks or fading and a limited lifetime warranty on the hull. Through March 31st Mercury is adding two years of gold coverage on top of their standard 3 years.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Center console Boats - 01/23/19 02:13 AM

That 24' Skeeter bay is one sweet boat. My friend has one down on the coast in Louisiana. I drove it in some rough water. Just drop those trim tabs and let her eat.
Posted By: Czechster

Re: Center console Boats - 01/23/19 12:05 PM

Does anyone know of a t top fabricator in the metroplex?
Posted By: flounder

Re: Center console Boats - 01/23/19 12:14 PM

You can get more info on blazer bay on the pensacola fishing forum. They are built there. They are not a top of the line boat, so not as expensive. One of my good friends owns a 24 and is a guide in orange beach. He likes his a lot. There were a lot of issues with them in years past. I believe ownership changed a few times too, but like I said you can goto PFF and see reviews of recent years and also folks around Texoma. Also note that people in pensacola are going to abuse the boats more pounding them in anywhere from 2 to 5 foot seas, etc... Quality brands IMO are Ranger, tidewater, skeeter, and nauticstar. Top end bay boats are going to be cape horn, yellowfin, contender, but only if you don't mind your mortgage payment being lower than your boat payment smile

Re: Center console Boats - 01/23/19 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Blake's Boats
[Linked Image]

VERY nice!
thanks for the post guys very helpful.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Center console Boats - 01/23/19 05:58 PM

Tell us a little more about what you are looking for. I've run five Skeeter Bay Boats - four of the SX220s and one SX240. I loved all of them. The 220s were like the sports car of a bay boats. Paired with a 250, they wouldn't be a huge transition from a bass boat. If you are primarily fishing lakes and bays, it's an excellent fit (unfortunately they discontinued the 220, so you would have to buy a used one). The 240 paired with a 300 is like a Cadillac on the water. It can handle bigger waves, is smoother than the 220 and has a lot more room. Both are excellent boats with the 240 giving you a little more versatility.

If you are looking for something that has offshore capabilities, or than can handle bigger water, go with a boat that has a Carolina type flare.

Examples:

http://www.seahuntboats.com/bx-25-br.html

[Linked Image]

https://www.tidewaterboats.com/2500-carolina-bay.html

[Linked Image]

http://www.seabornboats.com/bay-boats/fx25-bay

[Linked Image]

My personal choice would be something like one of the 3 listed above in the 24-25 foot range. I do a lot of fishing in Florida and this style boat suits me best. I loved my Skeeters, but they are just not ideal for how and where I fish now.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Center console Boats - 01/23/19 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by honey hole
If you like skeeters...give them a look. I have a friend with a brand new 23' and another with a 21'. They have had good luck with the exception of the 23' had to be sent back the skeeter to be separated so they could fix a fueling issue. The 21' does the same thing except not as bad, you can very slowly fill the tank, anything faster would trip the pump.

I have a 2410 Ranger and LOVE it. It's a solid HEAVY boat and I mean heavy, around 4800lbs full of everything. It runs right at 50 with 3 people loaded and 54 with just me.

My ranger has a 20 gallon baitwell built into the helm seat and it works great for me. In the hot summer, I throw a frozen half gallon jug in at full up and may swap it out early afternoon. I have had zero issues with shad dying except from sunscreen on co-fishers hands....

I looked at Skeeter, Ranger, Pathfinder, Blue Wave, Nautic Star, Blackjack, and Blazer Bay. They all have their positives and would be happy to own any of them.
I figured the Ranger would weigh more that my 22' Champ. I weighed the Champ before I loaded it up with gear and it scaled just short of 4700. It did have about 45 gallons of fuel.
Posted By: BSanders

Re: Center console Boats - 01/23/19 06:32 PM

If you haven't yet, go look at an Xpress bay boat. I love mine. Smooth ride and plenty of room and storage. And, they are reasonably priced.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Center console Boats - 01/23/19 06:49 PM

I am fond of my 27" Blackwood for offshore and coastal expeditions. Hard to find a better finished boat comparable https://www.americanmarinesports.com/
cheers peep
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Center console Boats - 01/23/19 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bass&More
I am fond of my 27" Blackwood for offshore and coastal expeditions. Hard to find a better finished boat comparable https://www.americanmarinesports.com/
cheers peep

If price is no object.

eeks

Re: Center console Boats - 01/23/19 09:29 PM

Thanks J.P.
I only make my way down to Port A Twice a year for now.
so I do not need something for the big blue water.
I'm hooked on it but not ready to make a full commitment to saltwater.
I'm mainly going to stick to fresh water fishing for now.
Posted By: honey hole

Re: Center console Boats - 01/23/19 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper
Originally Posted by honey hole

I figured the Ranger would weigh more that my 22' Champ. I weighed the Champ before I loaded it up with gear and it scaled just short of 4700. It did have about 45 gallons of fuel.

I would think so as well? 2985lbs with no power. 4800 was with a half tank of fuel (holds 80 gallons)

That number isn't including trailer weight, just boat, motor, fuel, gear, and driver(and I'm no feather).
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Center console Boats - 01/24/19 02:31 PM

I love Skeeter boats. Sold them for 10 years. CC’s are just a way to capture more market share. Go with a manufacturer that specializes in building CC’s. In my humble opinion you really can’t go wrong with this brand. Go and see it at the Dallas show.

https://www.sportsmanboatsmfg.com/masters/227-Bay-Boat
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Center console Boats - 01/24/19 03:05 PM

Don't leave out Haynie. Ex wife's husband has a 25 ft Magnum and it really fishes nice. Handles big water well and has lots of room. I fish out of a Century 2400 Inshore. In my opinion one of the best CC ever built. To bad they discontinued them.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Center console Boats - 01/24/19 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Capt. Michael Littlejohn

I doubt you would see them at a boat show in DFW, but check out the Haynie boats. The 24 HO and the Magnum definitely have room for whatever size baitwell you need, and since they are custom boats, you can have the baitwell built in to the boat when you order it.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Center console Boats - 01/25/19 02:33 PM

Skeeters are nice and good bay boats. Just went thru the fun and stressful process of buying my third  cc boat. There are many good cc boats out there. Narrowing it down to one or  two was tuff for me. I found that like pickup  trucks, cc boats  are morphing (or copying) with many similar features now. You noticed from the rear that most trucks are the same? Boats are becoming that way too. And they say the NFL is a copycat league? LOL

And boat prices are up and up like trucks and house markets too? Doh! Love the 24 fters but they are out of my price range... Most 24ft are 70k to 90k or more.

To the OP. The dfw boat show is Feb 1. There are are a handful of dealerships in dfw with adequate cc selections.  You have to drive down to the coast of you want to see more colors and lengths. But if you are happy with skeeter then I would stick with skeeter.

Off topic and helpful FYI for those considering Suzuki outboards. There are only 2 certified shops in dfw, both in Ft worth. North Texas Marine and Alliance DFW. Took my 2019 Bluewave PB 2200 with Suzuki to Alliance for the 20 hr break in service last week. I was very pleased with the way I was treated, the turn around time and the cost. It's an hr drive for me. Suzuki has 6 years warranty.  Suzuki motors are all 4 stokes and for salt. They are very popular down in the coast. Majority of my freshwater lake buddies' cc boats are yamaha 4 strokes and they love their Yamahas! My freshwater and salt buddies got many different make cc boats and they all love theirs as well :) 

Also for new boat folks needing electronics, I love my new minn kota auto-deploy-stow 36/112/72 TM. That TM is sweet like operating a RC man toy boat. Lol. Make sure to get the 72" shaft cuz the big arse collar takes up 10" on top. 

Hope everyone finds a boat that fits your fishing style. Good luck! 
Posted By: Blake's Boats

Re: Center console Boats - 04/02/19 03:51 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Brand NEW 2019 Blazer Bay 2420 loaded and ready to fish ANYWHERE!
Posted By: G Love

Re: Center console Boats - 04/03/19 02:06 PM

Just be a gangster and pull the trigger on a Blue Wave 2800.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Center console Boats - 04/03/19 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by G Love

That thing is a Huuuuuge Beach!
Posted By: G Love

Re: Center console Boats - 04/04/19 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by TCK73
Originally Posted by G Love

That thing is a Huuuuuge Beach!

Sick ain't it

I saw a picture of a black and tan one yesterday. Shoooooo
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Center console Boats - 04/04/19 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Blake's Boats
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Brand NEW 2019 Blazer Bay 2420 loaded and ready to fish ANYWHERE!

That's a PURDY cc boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum