Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Lewisville

Posted By: stumpknocking

Lake Lewisville - 11/20/18 08:34 PM

Lewisville has kicked me squarely in the tackle box. 3 times now. Been during the week with little to no traffic on the water.
Hybrid, sandies and large mouth have not liked anything I've tried. I bet in the last two weeks I have tied more lures on than I can remember.
Graphing good schools on the graph around 23'.

Only salvation has been running jugs. Wife gets nervous when I don't catch, she starts looking for my boat at the shakey joints:)
Posted By: BendaRod(WC)

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/20/18 08:43 PM

Its been tough on Lewisville for hybrids and sand bass for almost a couple months now. Let the water temp drop a little more, and it should pick up considerably.

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/21/18 02:18 PM

Thank you!

I usually bounce from Roberts, Tawakoni, Texoma, and Lewisville. We are moving within ten minutes of Lewisville and I would love
to dial the lake in.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/22/18 12:51 AM

Dead stick outside the 121 cut in 38 ft of water. You should mark them at 12-15 ft. Go hammer them
Posted By: Cigga

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/22/18 11:49 AM

Deadsticking worked for us yesterday. Caught 3 hybrids along with good mess of magnum sandbass on Lewisville. I did a tandem setup with 1.5 ounce deadhead with 5 inch fluke tied below a 3 inch fluke with a 1/4 oz jighead. The 1/4 oz jigheads that had a eye on top and bottom to tied your leader line to for the tandem setup. Most of the fish caught were on the 3 inch fluke. Only a few took the 5 inch fluke. Took my cousin from Houston out and he got the biggest hybrid at 21.5 inches. A little over 4 pounds. I tied tandem rig on his but used 3/4 oz on top with the lighter 1/4 oz on bottom using both 3 inch fluke. Other 2 hybrids measured 18.5 and 20 inches. [Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/22/18 12:02 PM

This is what I used for the 3 inch flukes.

https://www.ecwid.com/store/rsrlures/#!/Stripaholic-Jig-heads/p/18675367/category=1790696
Posted By: gborg

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/22/18 02:59 PM

Nice ketch, tag line with lighter jig on bottom works best for us ! Three foot tag line allows pendulum action fish can't resist.
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/23/18 12:28 AM

I’ve been mostly crappie fishing but will be hitting tha main lake looking for striped fish soon. Dont forget about the mouth of hidden cove. That’s my favorite dead sticking spot on the lake. Second is the creek channel just NE of twin trees. Next is in front of the dam where the creeks come together. 35 is usually my target depth using the tandem rigs mentioned above. Tie them about 24” from each other. Don’t forget your Bobo thumper or uae an oar if your cheap like me. Pink flukes work fantastic. I don’t see anyone ever using anything but pearl, white, or chartreuse I use them also but pink seems to work well.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/23/18 01:08 AM

Thanks Phil! roflmao

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/23/18 01:36 PM

Is twin trees the same as twin poles?
Posted By: GoFishNow

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/23/18 03:41 PM

Pink, starting back in 1992. Always a favorite.

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/25/18 08:48 PM

No, they are different. Search on TFF for a Lewisville map. I posted one last summer. It should help get you where you need to be. I mostly marked the common warm month holes though but both mentioned are listed
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/27/18 02:48 AM

Where do you get the jig heads with the eyes set up for tandem rigs?
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/27/18 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by scubaarchery
Where do you get the jig heads with the eyes set up for tandem rigs?

https://rsrlures.ecwid.com/

Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/28/18 01:53 AM

Thanks!

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/29/18 03:59 PM

I buy all my slabs, spoons (BAS), and dead stick gear from RSR. Good company to work with and believes in good customer service. Shipments are usually mailed the same day I place the order. try his glitter shad slabs. I have yet to find anything else I like better.
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/30/18 12:25 AM

Is this way of rigging a winter thing only?

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/30/18 03:02 PM

yes, once the water temps go below 60 degrees.
Posted By: FishBeeLowMe

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/30/18 04:41 PM

Everyone on the TFF should buy local. Barlows, MT Pockets, RSR, all do a great job! Try DopShot clips to multi-rig! We don't sell lures anymore, but share a lot of good information!

https://moestackleshop.com/dead-stick-fishing-freshwater-striper-lures/
Posted By: Coach Jaywhy

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/30/18 05:42 PM

I know its been pretty windy but has anyone had much luck deadsticking the last couple days? If you have can you DM me and let me know where and what your using. I finally talked my wife into getting out on the boat with me sunday and want to put her on fish. She is always claiming I'm a bad guide because I'm usually the only one that catches fish. Of course it's because I'm the only one that actually tries! I figure deadsticking will be my best shot getting her some fish. Not a whole lot of effort needed!!! ha

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/30/18 06:55 PM

Coach , PM me and I will be happy to pass on any and all of the intel that I can remember from the past 12 years of dead sticking.

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/02/18 02:06 AM

I ordered a bunch of parts from RSR, late Thursday evening. Received it all, this afternoon (looks like 2-day delivery to me). Thanks guys! thumb
Now to put this new gear and untested (by me) information to use. We'll give it a try tomorrow afternoon.

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/02/18 03:40 PM

Keep us posted , we like to hear about another persons learning curve. Welcome to the dead stick junkie addiction .

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/03/18 01:48 AM

Lol, well we got skunked, in Grapevine (difficult lake). Though the rig did get tapped. When I can find the time, we'll try Lewisville. I did manage to stay with a pretty good group at 20--23 feet in 30 fow. Had a 5" fluke on top and a 3" fluke on the bottom. We were time limited, so we didn't have a chance to try many areas. Yes, it does seem silly to be banging the paddle handle on the floor, while fishing--didn't want anyone on shore to see me. roflmao

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/03/18 02:13 PM

You may want to try downsizing your baits. I use the 3 inch size most often unless I’m on a lake that has Striper. Try using a 1/4 ounce on top. Consider that it’s rare for a sand bass to be able to eat a 5 inch shad. If you get over to Lewisville and run into the hybrids that’s when I would throw the larger fluke on. The jig heads you want to be using on top are the ones that have and eye loop on both the top and bottom. The one you use on bottom should be your heavier one with the larger bait considering your on a lake with larger sized fish. The bottom jig only needs one eye to tie line to considering there isn’t another bait below it
Posted By: beltonbill

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/03/18 04:01 PM

Ed-n-eddy, I fished Belton a couple of years ago for two hours without a bite. I started banging on the boat with a stick and two us caught 90 whites in the next hour. I don't fish anywhere in the winter without a thumper. They are like magic. Stick with it and you will see. I have to thank Matt Cartwright for the inspiration and Jbobo for making it easy.

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/03/18 04:12 PM

When fish are present ,you are getting tapped, down size and you might even want to tie the heavier jig on top with a lighter half ounce on bottom . You will be surprised, the pendulum action the smaller jig produces will out fish many other combinations . What do you have to lose?

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/03/18 04:14 PM

good point G borg. I will keep that into consideration. pendulum idea.
Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/03/18 09:56 PM

Use the Pendulum and BUY A THUMPER best thing I ever did for winter time fishing.

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/03/18 10:17 PM

Great stuff! Other folks can use the info too.
I did go with the heavier one on top and used a 3" fluke on the bottom (though with a 1/4oz jig). Though for sandies, sounds like the whole rig was just too heavy. I can adjust smaller, easily.
I'm not 100%, but it's looking like I should put time in at Lewisville. I've been working g-vine because I get almost an extra hour of fishing (it's closer). Though with all the skunking we've gotten, the extra time hasn't put more fish in the boat. Guess that explains my math grades. roflmao
The thumper sounds like a great idea. Beating on the boat did seem to keep them around. I'll work on my technique and save up for a Thumper.
Posted By: D Egge

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/04/18 03:19 AM

I am a newbie to this. I bass fish tll about 11, then always wish I knew how to fish for hybrids/sandies/whites......just hate being already on the water and not catching anything
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/04/18 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by gborg
When fish are present ,you are getting tapped, down size and you might even want to tie the heavier jig on top with a lighter half ounce on bottom . You will be surprised, the pendulum action the smaller jig produces will out fish many other combinations . What do you have to lose?

Great idea! thumb
Posted By: hybridfisher

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/04/18 07:42 PM

Good thread! I just placed another order with RSR.

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/07/18 01:54 AM

Nice!

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/07/18 01:55 AM

Great tip!

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/09/18 03:28 PM

Nice!

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/09/18 03:30 PM

I'll give it a try. Been crazy working. Time to wet a line.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum