Texas Fishing Forum

Pk limits 7/23

Posted By: jbobo

Pk limits 7/23 - 07/24/18 12:31 PM

Randy and Beno had a busy morning yesterday catching their limits of striper. They took a few home for the fryer and cpr’ed the rest. Started off throwing topwater at schooling fish and discovered they were sandbass. We spent an hour in one spot with little George’s and chuggers. After some instructions about their roles with the captain Mack’s rigs we started our search for bigger prey. When a client gets excited when a fish hits many times they allow some slack in the line and that’s all those big boys are needing to get rid of that hook. I’ve also learned to back my reel drag way off or those big ones will break the 80 lb steel leaders off the rigs when they first hit the bait. We managed to boat 30 fish from 4 lbs up to 11.25 lbs. A couple of triple fish and 4 double fish on each rod at once wore them out so they went home with blisters on their fingers and big smiles. Pics when I get time to sit at the desktop later.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Pk limits 7/23 - 07/24/18 12:46 PM

That's a good day!
Posted By: D Miner

Re: Pk limits 7/23 - 07/24/18 02:50 PM

We need pics!!! smile
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Pk limits 7/23 - 07/24/18 03:06 PM

I have similar issue with the novices I take fishing. They lose lots of stripers by letting them get some slack. Since I fish live bait next to deep shady docks I also have the issue of them letting the striper get into the cables. The trick in preventing this takes some time as you have to know when you have no option but to crank the drag down and drag them out. Might as well break, bend or pull hooks out rather than lose them to the cables. Stripers take so long to get in most people get distracted. Only take a a couple seconds of slack line for that striper to get free unless they are hooked really well.

Anyone who follows my posts knows I catch a lot of LM Bass while fishing at PK. The thing I've gotten from this is that stripers fight much harder than LM Bass and are actually harder for novices to get in. Once you learn to not let a LM bass jump and throw the hook by putting your pole down in the water and pulling them down LM bass are out of tricks and are easy to catch. Stripers are the hardest fighting fish available in Fresh water.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Pk limits 7/23 - 07/24/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: PKfishin
Stripers are the hardest fighting fish available in Fresh water.

Have you ever hooked into a 18lb Buffalo? They are a beast! I caught one on a Cordell slab one winter while Striper fishing. I thought I was going to have the lake record Striper until that dirty SOB surfaced, I was disappointed. It pulled hard and made long runs, it really felt like a Striper the whole time.

Re: Pk limits 7/23 - 07/24/18 04:43 PM

The 18+ flathead cat I caught one time while fishing for hybrids by myself was the hardest to land than anything I’ve hooked except a 8 ft hammerhead shark. And I didn’t land the shark. Dorados are right up there too. And yes pkfishing I saw you said in fresh water. Lol
Posted By: Joe Todd

Re: Pk limits 7/23 - 07/24/18 11:24 PM

Hey Bobo where is the schooling fish. I haven't been there during the daylight hours in a while. Kind of curious.

Re: Pk limits 7/23 - 07/25/18 02:50 AM

Here is a few pics from yesterday.
I need to get the guys to send me some that they have and I will post them.

Sending PM Joe.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum