Texas Fishing Forum

Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon!

Posted By: Pk Lake

Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/13/18 05:32 AM

Coming Soon in a couple weeks there is a Striper Tournament on Possum Kingdom Lake! Fliers will be posted soon!
More details later! Should be a good one!

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/13/18 05:33 AM

ps. all guides welcome!
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/13/18 11:40 AM

cheers
Posted By: G Love

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/13/18 02:54 PM

In. No trolling right? Haha jk jk cool
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/13/18 06:59 PM

I’m in.
Posted By: Possumkingdomtackle

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/13/18 07:45 PM

Posted By: Possumkingdomtackle

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/13/18 07:45 PM

Please read the rules posted above, if you have any questions let us know.
Posted By: captaincam3

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/13/18 08:30 PM

sounds fun

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/13/18 08:51 PM

No dead fish penalty!

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/13/18 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Pk Lake
No dead fish penalty!

Wheeew roflmao
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/14/18 03:09 AM

I have one question?
We’re does the other $7,500.00 that your taking in entry’s go?
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/14/18 04:40 PM

Catching 5 will be easy. PK is over loaded with stripers down lake. Catching 5 that will out weight everyone else will be tough.

If on a weekend, Trollers will suffer with all the wake boats and jet fleas.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/14/18 04:41 PM

Dead fish will just be thrown in the lake then. Good news for the Raccoons and Herrons.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/14/18 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: PKfishin
Dead fish will just be thrown in the lake then. Good news for the Raccoons and Herrons.

I take mine home for the grill. We had a couple of fish this week that were stressed when we tried to release them. I revived them pretty quickly and they tried to pull me over board. I think they will make it just fine. It’s the same song and dance as usual when there are tournaments in the summer heat. Surprisingly to some, most anglers genuinely care about our fish resources and do everything possible to make sure caught fish are weighed and returned to the lake quickly or taken to weigh in and home to provide a meal or two. Maybe some who think the tournaments are just fish killing events could volunteer to have a fish fry following the weigh in with the unwanted fish? I’ve usually learned not to post my opinion on here but y’all just go ahead and hammer away at me. I’ll survive! cheers
Posted By: w.ramsey

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/15/18 01:16 PM

interesting

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/15/18 01:31 PM

I'm not worried about the Tourney killing too many stripers. PK is loaded with them and could likely use a cull. I don't think PK has the bait to support the numbers I see right now. Amazing how dramatic the difference in numbers when PK gets big rains like we got the last few years allowing a natural spawn vs the state stocking a few fingerlings.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/15/18 02:40 PM

Ok good. There are a bunch of very healthy fish right now. I see lots of bait balls or schools of some kind of smaller fish everywhere I’ve been the last few weeks. I’m looking forward to catching a bunch of them. cheers

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/15/18 05:50 PM

I catch bait for all my fishing at PK. Plenty of bait in PK if you know we’re to look.
Tons of one and two inch gizzards up the lake. Catching 40 5 inch shad to fish with each day is not an issue.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/16/18 01:50 PM

I'm not worried about the Tourney killing too many stripers. PK is loaded with them and could likely use a cull. I don't think PK has the bait to support the numbers I see right now.

And what supports this opinion?

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/16/18 03:11 PM

Not much but my opinion. While I do fish the lake all the times the guides disagree. However, I also fish Lake Fork allot and difference in the amount of bait at Fork and PK is stark. At Fork, there is almost always a cloud of bait under my boat at the bridges. At PK, I need to look hard to find bait. I think Shad at fork would be a once cast thing.

of course professional PK guides that use bait will know where the bait is at as well as the fish. That does not mean that anyone can just saunter up to PK and get a bait tank full of shad and boat a limit of stripers. Most of the people I see at the courtesy dock who are at PK for the weekend are nursing a skunk or caught an under size LM bass or two. There are fish at PK but they are not everywhere like at a lake like Fork or Tawakoni.
Posted By: captaincam3

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/16/18 05:04 PM

I thought all the fish went through the flood gates a couple of years ago?

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/16/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: RANDY WOOD
I have one question?

I’m interested in this as well, anybody know?

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/16/18 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: TCK73
I have one question?

Add me to this list too.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/16/18 06:14 PM

I am ok with the club raising funds but 50% is to much at one tournament.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/16/18 06:36 PM

Is South D&D Boat Ramp a private ramp?
It's not listed on the TPWD website.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/possum_kingdom/access.phtml

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/16/18 06:39 PM

If you're trying to attract others who are not locals, maybe a little more info on location, nearby places to stay, directions, etc might help.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/16/18 08:18 PM

My thoughts exactly. Maybe pay back 85% and get more entries?

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/16/18 09:22 PM

This^^^^^

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/16/18 09:57 PM

Not much but my opinion. While I do fish the lake all the times the guides disagree. However, I also fish Lake Fork allot and difference in the amount of bait at Fork and PK is stark. At Fork, there is almost always a cloud of bait under my boat at the bridges. At PK, I need to look hard to find bait. I think Shad at fork would be a once cast thing.

of course professional PK guides that use bait will know where the bait is at as well as the fish. That does not mean that anyone can just saunter up to PK and get a bait tank full of shad and boat a limit of stripers. Most of the people I see at the courtesy dock who are at PK for the weekend are nursing a skunk or caught an under size LM bass or two. There are fish at PK but they are not everywhere like at a lake like Fork or Tawakoni.

While you are correct that bait is hard to find in that lake for someone that doesn't know where to look, I'm not convinced that its a population problem as much as it is a clear water lake deal. I fish bait on that lake when bait is what they're hitting. I find shad in less than clear water and I use bait out of that lake when I use it. Time of day and area is crucial. I don't think it's a population problem.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/16/18 10:25 PM

why not eat them?
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/16/18 11:31 PM

Ive never had luck keeping stripers alive in a livewell unless they are barely keepers. if im planning on keeping some for dinner i bring ice so they dont spoil.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/16/18 11:36 PM

Keeping 50% and $400 missing from the payout. (nevermind, see cash and prizes) $7100 payout, $400 in prizes)

I think it would be fun to fish striper tournament with artificials, but im not gonna put up $300 against guides with live bait, not that my chances would be amy better.

Id rather take the $300 and book a trip with the guide.
Posted By: Kerry Dugan

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/17/18 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Holzer
Is South D&D Boat Ramp a private ramp?
It's not listed on the TPWD website.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/possum_kingdom/access.phtml

BRA#4 South

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/17/18 05:00 PM

I always eat them. In fact, I pre fished yesterday for some friends coming up from Christ for the nations. I've just about quit fishing with shad as they are so hard to keep alive in this 86 degree water. Caught a dozen perch and tried one of my favorite spots and got these two beauties.

If y'all throw a few of these guys in the ice and pull them out at the weigh in that might be a better way to show your displeasure in the Hells Lake LM Bass club keeping half the entry fees. When I was young and rode in Rodeos I avoided stock contractors that had their hand in the kitty. Both of these fish hit at the same time.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/17/18 09:29 PM

I have one question?

Well, here's my opinion. In todays market that's worth about 2 cents, or less. I have a quite a few calls and texts regarding this tourney. Things I've gathered from these conversations....

1- To big of a chunk of the fees being kept.
2- Your allowing "guides" to fish it.

That was two biggest issues that people seemed to be concerned with. I for one, don't care as far as myself,
Quite a few of the regulars would probably fish it if you omitted the guides, reason being, for some reason they feel uncomfortable throwing $300 in, to fish with guides that run trips on a daily basis, whether the guides use bait, artificial or are just drag queens

Again, that's just what I've discovered through some conversations. Good luck and hope you have a great turn out, be sure to post results and how it went.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/17/18 09:33 PM

Drag Queen!!!!!! I dig it hahaha

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/17/18 09:41 PM

Lmao I’ll definitely have to show up in drag now!!!! roflmao roflmao
What if we only show up in drag part time?

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/17/18 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: KLAPPER
Please read the rules posted above, if you have any questions let us know.

Seems like there has been several questions on this thread so far with no responses.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/17/18 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: jbobo

Please spare us...

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/17/18 09:59 PM

Please spare us...

roflmao roflmao

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/17/18 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Kerry Dugan

Please spare us...

roflmao roflmao

roflmao roflmao
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/17/18 11:10 PM

I never minded fishing against guides on a new lake. They may have an advantage but Striper fishing is Striper fishing. If you're a good Striper fishing then you can be competitive on any lake. The 50% payout I don't like. Should be 100% or close too. The money raised should come from sponsorships.
Posted By: Joe Todd

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/18/18 02:34 AM

Let's hold a striper tournament at night and in December. Fishing is great during that time. Guides are welcome. It doesn't matter to me whose money I take. de de

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/18/18 02:47 AM

I like this idea!^^^^^^
Posted By: anton�

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/19/18 01:40 AM

I was very excited about this tournament when I heard of it. But now I'm hearing it's only 50% pay out while their bass tournaments are like half the price to enter and 100% payout. If this is correct information, I'm out. If it were for some sort of charity or something that would be perfectly fine with me, but I'm not interested in supporting their bass club. Super bummed. If I am misconstrued, I'm all ears. Thanks.
Posted By: anton�

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/19/18 01:57 AM

Why anyone wouldn't want to let guides fish is beyond me???
Whipping the guides would be the very best part . Lol!

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/19/18 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: anton™

It happens! We all, guides or not, have our off days.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/19/18 03:19 AM

Another concern is..... this was posted several days ago and several people have asked questions and no answers. And the tourney is what 10 days away? Need to pay better attention if your gonna do something like this

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/19/18 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: anton™

I’m not fishing it, so atleast you have a chance.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/19/18 03:39 AM

Yep I am out also because of the payout.

I don’t know anyone personally in the Hells Gate Bass Club. Don’t know there views or what they think about Stripers. I am pretty sure any money made at this tournament could eventually be used against Striper fisherman. I am absolutely sure there are members of this club that would not and do not support stocking stripers in PK.
I am also sure there are members of the HGBC that fish for and enjoy Striper fishing.

Is this an evil plan to remove stripers from PK. No I don’t think so.
It’s the Hells Gate Bass Club putting on a fund raiser.
Put on a tournament with a reasonable entry and payout and I am in.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/19/18 03:49 AM

Yep I am out also because of the payout.

I don’t know anyone personally in the Hells Gate Bass Club. Don’t know there views or what they think about Stripers. I am pretty sure any money made at this tournament could eventually be used against Striper fisherman. I am absolutely sure there are members of this club that would not and do not support stocking stripers in PK.
I am also sure there are members of the HGBC that fish for and enjoy Striper fishing.

Is this an evil plan to remove stripers from PK. No I don’t think so.
It’s the Hells Gate Bass Club putting on a fund raiser.
Put on a tournament with a reasonable entry and payout and I am in.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/19/18 11:04 AM

I wanted to fish this but since y’all did the number crunching for us I agree. I ain’t gonna help raise funds with those percentages of payouts for a club whether bass or striper or catfish. Unless they change the payout amounts I’m out too. bolt

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/19/18 11:58 AM

Lots of people on the same page here.

I will probably fish that day regardless of the tournament, save my $300.00 donation to the bass club, go ahead and go to the weigh in, crack open a cold Bud and chill out and see where I would have stacked up just for chits and giggles.I just got thru fishing an Offshore Saltwater Tournament that was a charity event, and it had a better angler payout than this.

In the end though, the HGBC is running the tournament and have the right to format the payout as they wish, just as we have the right to not enter for whatever reason it may be. If they changed the payout today I am not sure I would enter.

Disclaimer: I am not against the guides fishing, I was geared up to take Bobo to school! banana

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/19/18 02:10 PM

I assume this is regarding a previous tournament, but one members' response on Facebook to payouts:

"First off! I don't like discussing The Bass Clubs business! But under the circumstances, here's just a little info! We Spent $2000.00 on Striper Rod-N-Reel Combos to given away and Raffled off! We've hired a Poly Graph expert for $1000.00. And we got $500.00 in flyers! And there are no guarantees on how many entries we will receive! We Guaranteed $1500.00 for first place in our last Open! And we had bad weather, and Obviously it kept a lot of people away! After all of our expenses we lost $200.00. We do not have any sponsors to Guarantee any Money! I tried to get the money up higher on the payback! But after expenses, if we had a poor showing? We would be in the hole again!"

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/19/18 09:09 PM

Lots of people on the same page here.

I will probably fish that day regardless of the tournament, save my $300.00 donation to the bass club, go ahead and go to the weigh in, crack open a cold Bud and chill out and see where I would have stacked up just for chits and giggles.I just got thru fishing an Offshore Saltwater Tournament that was a charity event, and it had a better angler payout than this.

In the end though, the HGBC is running the tournament and have the right to format the payout as they wish, just as we have the right to not enter for whatever reason it may be. If they changed the payout today I am not sure I would enter.

Disclaimer: I am not against the guides fishing, I was geared up to take Bobo to school! banana

roflmao roflmao roflmao blablabla

Saw on the Pk events sign across from the corner store today: poker run July 28th.

I’ll pass for sure now.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/19/18 10:12 PM

Saw on the Pk events sign across from the corner store today: poker run July 28th.

I’ll pass for sure now.

Where’s your sense of adventure. Figured you dress in drag and go fish man roflmao

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/19/18 10:52 PM

roflmao banana bolt
Posted By: PK Logistics

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/25/18 01:46 PM

Whats the latest on this? Is anyone fishing or is it still a go?

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/25/18 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: MIG Trucking
Whats the latest on this? Is anyone fishing or is it still a go?

Kinda curious myself... seems as though, no questions are being answered here or even on their Facebook page.
Not gonna be a good turn out with that kinda entry fee and payout especially when no one wants to answeranything. Lol

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/25/18 02:06 PM

I don't know anyone that is fishing it personally, I'm sure there will be some suckers though!

Maybe we all should just have our own tournament. Like say, $100.00 buy in, winner take all and last place buys the beer?
Posted By: PK Logistics

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/25/18 02:26 PM

I wonder if we could all just enter the side pot? $100 and 100% payback.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/25/18 02:27 PM

I don't know anyone that is fishing it personally, I'm sure there will be some suckers though!

Maybe we all should just have our own tournament. Like say, $100.00 buy in, winner take all and last place buys the beer?

roflmao

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/25/18 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: MIG Trucking
I wonder if we could all just enter the side pot? $100 and 100% payback.

thumb

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/25/18 05:11 PM

roflmao

Kerry I drink coors light. Just FYI. roflmao

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/25/18 05:14 PM

roflmao

Most drag queens do bolt

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/25/18 05:54 PM

[spoiler][/spoiler]

roflmao

Most drag queens do bolt

whip

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/28/18 08:43 PM

WELL?????????????????????

Who won?

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/28/18 09:22 PM

I don’t know who fished or who won, but there were a ton of long liners out there today in pontoons. I heard the client of a guide tell somebody they caught one keeper. I didn’t enter the tournament, but did have a stringer of angry eights! I just couldn’t get on fish of good size today.

The poker run boats were definitely a side show to watch too, nothing like watching groups of 6-8 boats racing each other and criss crossing in and out of each other. I felt bad for the guys in the little 16’ aluminum boat trying to fish, they got rocked pretty bad when a few of those boats came by him about 20’ away.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/29/18 11:34 PM

I don’t know who fished or who won, but there were a ton of long liners out there today in pontoons. I heard the client of a guide tell somebody they caught one keeper. I didn’t enter the tournament, but did have a stringer of angry eights! I just couldn’t get on fish of good size today.

The poker run boats were definitely a side show to watch too, nothing like watching groups of 6-8 boats racing each other and criss crossing in and out of each other. I felt bad for the guys in the little 16’ aluminum boat trying to fish, they got rocked pretty bad when a few of those boats came by him about 20’ away.

I figured you went to weigh in with your cold beer and could give us a report. SMDH
Slacker!

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/30/18 12:12 AM

I figured you went to weigh in with your cold beer and could give us a report. SMDH
Slacker!

Tell me about it. We launched at Scenic Point, and thought about driving over there later, but we were done fishing at 11:00, and I didn't feel like sitting around that long. I will do better next time.

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/30/18 12:15 AM

Can’t say I blame you as hot as it’s been. If it worked out for me to fish it I was gonna get my fish on ice by 10:00 and load up then take a nap in the ac till weigh in. Lol
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 07/30/18 11:11 PM

what did it take to win?

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 08/01/18 10:37 PM

I took the last two weeks off so I have no clue. Rested and ready to go back and catch them all. Maybe they posted results on Facebook?

Re: Possum Kingdom Lake Striper Tournament! Coming Soon! - 08/01/18 11:05 PM

Here it is.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum