Texas Fishing Forum

Throwing a castnet

Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Throwing a castnet - 07/11/18 01:07 AM

Made 1st trip to Twok last week, but couldn't get a consistent opening. Searched YouTube and watched about 8 videos and saw 8 different ways. Looking for the easiest, no teeth throw for a 7' net. Thx for help.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/11/18 01:19 AM

I’m out on this one, I use the hold on your teeth method. My kid uses some sort of double load method with no teeth and has decent luck.
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/11/18 01:46 AM

I use my teeth and toss a net a lot. My kids learned to not use there teeth.
If your throwing a 7 foot net there is your issue. Don’t throw it just toss it. Slow down and just toss it out there.
Seems to always help my casts

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/11/18 02:05 AM

Ok, I have a cracked front tooth but may have to try that way if it is easy. Do y'all have a link to your method?
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/11/18 02:38 AM

Hold the net about 1/3 of the way down, then grab the net and put the line in your hand. Grab it two more times and do the same. Then gently toss it out, don’t hurl it.

https://youtu.be/-hY1x3KUV_4
Posted By: timbertoes

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/11/18 03:46 AM

I just make sure no one is watching when I throw mine smile
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/11/18 03:49 AM

roflmao
Posted By: G Love

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/11/18 02:09 PM

I couldn't explain it without making a video haha but I'll try. I don't use my teeth.

I attach it to my right wrist. I coil the line counter clock wise in my right hand, leaving a foot or so before the brails hanging. I put the top of the net in my right hand (horn is above my fist a few inches) weights down horn up. I coil the net one time about 1/3-1/2 of the way down clockwise, leaving the coil (or looped net) hanging on the outside of my hand. With my left hand I pick up the assembly line and place it in my right hand (which has everything before this bundled in it) between my index and thumb. I then take my left hand and grab the assembly line again, leaving a few feet between the first grab of the assembly line and the second, and coil it clockwise in my right hand (between index and thumb) leaving it coiled the same way I did the net body earlier, coiled to the outside of my fist. Then I split in half what is left hanging. I hold that in my left hand about 6" above the weights. When I throw I make a fan motion with my right hand from right to left, letting go with my left hand, last. Its more about technique than power. Once you get the technique down, you can power it but 90% of the time you shouldn't have to.

That might have sounded dumb but it made sense in my head roflmao
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/11/18 02:18 PM

I throw a 7ft net and don't put any in my teeth. The instructions that come with the nets you buy at Walmart is basically the method I use.
Posted By: Ross Reamy Guide Service

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/11/18 02:21 PM

I normally use my teeth, but if I need a little more distance I use the method in this video. Having a quality net (I use a 7' 3/8" mesh Bait Buster, 1.5lbs per ft.)and conditioning it in fabric softener makes throwing it easier as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1cKbEHJsNg
Posted By: clk

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/11/18 03:22 PM

Google the shrimpers method. It’s on fitecs site I think it works pretty good if you don’t mind getting a little wet.

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/11/18 10:13 PM

Thx to all for the help...glad somebody didn't see some of my throws. Kinda looked like a taco!
Posted By: Blues

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/11/18 10:43 PM

Would you lick your bait box? I don’t use my teeth....just practice a lot and you’ll get it.

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/12/18 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Blues
Would you lick your bait box? I don’t use my teeth....just practice a lot and you’ll get it.

Heck yeah, we bite the head off of the first Shad and spit it in the lake for good luck!
roflmao
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/12/18 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: TCK73
Originally Posted By: Blues

Heck yeah, we bite the head off of the first Shad and spit it in the lake for good luck!
roflmao

That's just nasty

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/12/18 12:58 AM

TCK73 must have came from the Deadliest Catch!

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/12/18 01:01 AM

I have not done that In a long while, but I have, with a lot of other stupid stuff in my youth. I’m shaking my own head just thinking about it lol.
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/12/18 04:20 PM

youd have to be crazy to put anything around lead in your mouth
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/13/18 03:09 AM

Put the line the lead is on in your mouth not the lead...
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/13/18 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: scubaarchery
Put the line the lead is on in your mouth not the lead...

yea but still close enough to lead for me to be afraid
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/13/18 10:19 PM

The heavier nets will take a little more "throw" to open up. But once you get the hang of it, just like Randy mentioned - just toss it out there.

[/img]
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Throwing a castnet - 07/14/18 07:56 PM

my favorite method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTS3fsoV5tg
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum