Texas Fishing Forum

Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018

Posted By: Dennis Christian

Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/07/18 07:58 PM

My son Chris and I went out briefly yesterday and found fish at Long Ridge, Merimac Point and Iron Wall Hump. This morning from 8:15AM til 12:15PM neighbor Guy T went out with me and we caught 100: 89 whites, 8 keeper yellow bass, a 20 inch hybrid, a short hybrid and a cat. Found fish at SE edge of Spillway Hump, Enchanted Isle Ridge and Game Warden Hump. All but one caught on a #4 silver Mepps. At Game Warden fish were in 13 to 15 fow, and they were in 17 to 21 fow in the other spots.

Son Chris with nice hybrid and white

Son and I with a double

Neighbor Guy with nice white
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/07/18 10:19 PM

thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/08/18 04:31 PM

Nice post and fish. Good job. cheers
Posted By: hybridfisher

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/09/18 11:16 PM

Nice job Dennis!
Posted By: 4x4

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/10/18 01:34 AM

Great post Dennis !
Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/11/18 12:33 AM

Good to see you and Guy out there on Saturday Dennis. We had a short window before taking the family to the airport to fish so my daughter and I trolled around for a while and she landed two nice hybrids, 20" and 24". Both were released to fight another day. Look forward to seeing you again soon. Tom

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/12/18 04:08 AM

She looked like she was really into it and having a great time.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/19/18 06:14 PM

Scouting report for 7/18-19/2018: I checked out 9 places and found fish at 4: The middle part of Long Ridge in 20 to 22 fow - it was loaded with white bass, the east end of Long Ridge in 25 fow, Mid-lake Hump in 23 fow, and Merimac Point in 15 fow. Spots that were not holding fish were Greenhouse Ridge, Campbell's Hump, Dam Drop-off, Dam Ridge and 3-Jug Hump. At Merimac fish were taking #2 Mepps much better than #4. At the other spots #4 was better. Caught 40 fish this morning from 7:30 to 11:00. Thirty two were whites, 5 short hybrids, 1 cat and 2 nice yellow bass.

On my VIP Deckliner finally got my trolling motor fixed - working great now. Also had to replace big motor starter, and it's working much better. The Polar-Kraft bass boat has been out of the water since the Tawakoni tournament with one cylinder not firing. Been trying various things - the less expensive. Now down to putting in new power pack.
Posted By: justchillin

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/19/18 06:49 PM

Thanks for the report Dennis. I found a few at Game Warden on Sunday. Not much anywhere else. Caught them on #4's. Glad you got the boat fixed.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/19/18 06:58 PM

Great report Dennis , see you on the water !
Posted By: hybridfisher

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/20/18 02:11 AM

Glad you got your trolling motor back in service Dennis!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/20/18 08:36 PM

The dude knows his sandies.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/23/18 11:21 PM

Wow, thx. I found this map you did. https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/790x644q90/r/922/Epa8yX.jpg. I'm going this weekend and never fished the lake so this will really help.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/25/18 10:42 AM

7/24/2018: Made a scouting run up north. Checked out 4 good structures and found fish on all 4. Midlake Hump held fish right on top of it - 23 fow. Iron Wall Hump had fish on it in 19 to 21 fow. Spillway Hump had fish on SE and SW corners. On SE corner they were 16-17 fow and on SW corner they were in 21 fow. Last stop was Enchanted Isle Ridge (Just off map to the north). Fish were on the west end of it on the slope that faces SW in 18 to 22 fow and on the north edge of the west end in 18 to 22 fow. I caught 10 to 15 in each spot before moving on - 47 whites,2 cats and a 12 inch yellow bass. Sandies ranged from 11 to 15 inches. Caught most on #4 Mepps, some on #2.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/25/18 06:30 PM

Great post Dennis, can't wait to get back on the water. I'm still waiting on parts from Ranger, see you on the water. Thx

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/26/18 03:16 AM

My #2 grandson, Andrew, came over today with 2 buddies, and they wanted to fish. The 2 buddies had never fished for whites, so I had the pleasure of introducing them to white bass fishing Mepps style. They picked it up pretty fast and everybody caught fish. We stopped and came after 3 hours with 100 fish: 90 whites, 4 legal hybrid, 4 cats and 2 large yellow bass. We had a fifth hybrid half way in and he pulled off. Caught almost all the fish at Midlake Hump and Iron wall hump in 20 to 23 fow using #4 Mepps. Here are some pics:

Posted By: jbobo

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/26/18 12:03 PM

Nice fish and report Mr. C.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/26/18 01:36 PM

What a great experience for those kids , Thanks for sharing Dennis

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/29/18 10:44 AM

Saturday 7/28/2018: Took TFFer GregW and his friend William out for a Cedar Creek trip yesterday. Greg had never fished Cedar Creek Lake and wanted to see the Mepps technique 1st hand. I picked them up at 6:30 AM near Game Warden Hump, so we went straight there. It turned out to be the best spot of the day. We ended up with 100: 92 whites, 2 short hybrids, 1 cat, 1 crappie and 4 good sized yellow bass. The 2nd best spot was Merimac Point. In both places we were fishing a shallow (12 to 16 fow) pattern. We caught them on Mepps 2's and 4's with 2's working a little better. We also tried Enchanted Isle Ridge, Spillway Hump, Iron Wall Hump and Slide Hump but caught few on those spots.

William showed me something new to try with Mepps. He sprayed it with garlic scent, and it seemed to help when fish were finicky about biting. I'm going to try it when, in August and September, I can see fish on deep structures, but they won't bite, and I have to fish shallow structures to catch fish. In my 52 years of fishing for white bass I have never seen or heard of spraying a scent on the lure to catch them - crappie and catfish yes, not white bass.

Here are some pics of our outing:

William with nice white:

Greg and William with double:
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/29/18 11:22 AM

Scent works, Fishboy Frank has a special juice he puts on his lures.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/29/18 02:12 PM

Nice report as always, Dennis. This is a family forum so I will tell ya the name of Frank's secret juice when I see ya in 2 weeks, Dennis nuts
Posted By: justchillin

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/29/18 04:43 PM

Good report Dennis. If you would have let some past you at Game Warden , I might have caught a few. We did not do any good at all. Guess I should have followed you around! Then again , you would not have let any past your boat anywhere else either. You my friend, have a gift for catching fish for sure !!
Posted By: BROWNING STRONG

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/29/18 05:17 PM

Thank you very much for your time and expert advice yesterday Sir. I had a great time and learned so much , you Sir are the the true definition of a Texas fisherman and GENTLEMAN.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/29/18 07:28 PM

Thanks for the kind words.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/29/18 07:53 PM

Dennis, had a great time. Never used Meps before and always used slabs so that was a new twist. I usually use shad scent fishing with slab/spinner/crank, and gralic for plastics, but I think garlic is good all the time. As to how to tie a drop shot, it's a simple palomar knot with a 12" trailer for your weight. Then you need a finess worm. I use roboworms https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Roboworm_Straight_Tail_Worms/descpage-RW45ST.html in halogram dawn, but think many colors will work. Use a 2/0 of their hook: https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Roboworm_Rebarb_Hooks/descpage-RWRBH.html. Works great around concrete pillars, or anywhere you can find bass under the boat and close by. The presentation isn't as good if the line has to be at a significant angle, so I don't cast real far out. Generally I hook the worm right at the nose, but this picture shows more of a wacky technique so I'd probably use a Senko worm in that instance. I got a 6.5' on this at Pool this year on a spinner rig with 10lb floro. The hook set is easy because the hook is already facing up, so just a pop straight up sets the hook in the top of their mouth.

And in the fall, we'll take you to Rayburn and get some serious bass out of that lake. Thanks again for the ride. Love fishing with other anglers as we all learn something every time.
Posted By: VIP Fishing

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/29/18 10:28 PM

Something smells fishy
Posted By: DEWAYNE BULLARD

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/29/18 11:52 PM

Nice reports.
Posted By: JJHarris

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for July 2018 - 07/29/18 11:59 PM

Nice report on the fishing. We will be headed to Cedar Creek in the morning to fish all week. Never fished Cedar Creek Lake just passed by there headed to the drag strip. Figured we would give it a try.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum