Texas Fishing Forum

If you ever want to fish PK now is the time

Posted By: PKfishin

If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/19/18 08:19 PM

Fishing is officially through the roof. Went out yesterday with my friend Doc from the cliffs and just slaughtered them. Got an ice chest full and had to quit in a couple hours. Added a couple nice blue cats as well. At one point we had four fish on at one time and yes, it made a tangle. Saw a guide at the courtesy dock and he has limited out with his clients and another boat was raving about catching a bunch of 30+ inchers trolling big spoons.

Doc with one of his Big un's.

Me with a nice one. Sorry for the dark pic but windows did away with my photo editing tool. My new Bimini top made the shade and it sure was nice.
Posted By: Easeup

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/19/18 08:56 PM

congrats on some nice ones
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/19/18 09:02 PM

thumb
Posted By: jbobo

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/19/18 09:38 PM

We caught some like that at Pk today also. Gotta get some more captain Mack’s umbrella rigs though. hammer
Posted By: bcbeyer56

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/19/18 09:47 PM

Nice ones!!! You guys using shad? I can't find any bait on PK to save my life
Posted By: TCK73

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/20/18 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: jbobo
We caught some like that at Pk today also. Gotta get some more captain Mack’s umbrella rigs though. hammer

The fish love the trees, and the trees love Capt. Mac!
Posted By: jbobo

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/20/18 12:58 AM

It’s tough getting those rigs just enough above the trees to miss them but close enough the fish will come out to play. Lol

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/20/18 01:09 AM

Jobo:It might be cheaper for me to get a guide than use Captain mack rigs at PK. Those cedars would never give that rig back.

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/20/18 01:19 AM

BCBeyer56: I've been using perch. Shad have been hard to find unless you go to the river mouth. I did see a big school of gizards yesterday but shad are unreliable to find. I have a 10 foot crappie pole I use to catch the perch. Simple bobber and little number 4 perch hook. To find the perch just go into shallow coves and look for brush in the water especially if it has shade. Some worms or hot dog for bait and you'll get a couple dozen real quick.

You won't need as many perch as shad. I caught a 5 inch perch yesterday and had my wife merciful Marsha with me and she made me take it out of the ice chest where I put it, as it was good size to eat and put it in the bait tank. That perch stayed there all day and even jumped out once. I fished with him toward the end of the day and something took off with him then dropped him after getting a taste of those dorsal spines. I ended up throwing him back with about a dozen perch we didn't use.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/20/18 03:15 AM

Nice fish. cheers
Posted By: mwfishin

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/20/18 11:36 AM

Great report Mike. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Posted By: Timmychanga

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/20/18 04:12 PM

Great
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/20/18 04:31 PM

Well done sir! Nice pescados! thumb
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/21/18 02:35 PM

Nice catch and great report PKfishin thumb thumb

Me and wife will be out there tomorrow fish in a white Gambler Bass rig, stop by and say hello peep
Posted By: manuelcast

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/22/18 03:21 AM

Can you tell me what part of lake yall are catching these big boys on im planning to go this weekend
Posted By: gborg

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/22/18 02:44 PM

Midlake and south.

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/22/18 03:15 PM

manuelcast: I live and fish the area by the dam. I caught my fish in Neely Slough but took my wife on a joy ride along the cliffs from Neely to the dam and marked massive numbers of fish. In the mornings my friends who have houses overlooking that area tell me that there's a lot of topwater activity early.

The two years of heavy rain we got has PK chock full of stripers.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/22/18 06:31 PM

They are hot right now for sure.
Posted By: gborg

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/23/18 12:42 PM

Natural Striper spawning on PK has returned.

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/23/18 06:44 PM

Yes it has Gborg. I will expect this in the future after La Nina rains like we got the last two years. The owner down at Trophy tackle was telling me the lake kinda runs a cycle based on those rains.
Posted By: Andrew Murphy

Re: If you ever want to fish PK now is the time - 06/27/18 04:24 PM

Hopefully we get some good rain soon. Saw we are in Stage 1 drought now. barf
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum