Texas Fishing Forum

Ahi Castnet

Posted By: G Love

Ahi Castnet - 06/18/18 03:03 PM

Went to Cabela's because I needed a new net right quick. The selection was pretty disappointing to say the least, or so I thought. For the last several years I've thrown Bett's Blue nets and liked them an awful lot. I picked up an Ahi for the first time because it was the only net that they had in 7'. Had a pretty healthy price tag on it but I needed a net for Sunday morning. It is the best net I've ever thrown. Not one throw Sunday morning did not completely open. Straight pancakes. Every single throw. Smooth as butter. It blew the doors off any other net I've ever thrown. Just wanted to share in case anyone is thinkin about getting a new net. I would def recommend an Ahi. thumb
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/18/18 03:22 PM

Ahi is a pretty good net!!!
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/18/18 04:33 PM

I just looked at those, I need a new one too. Which one are you guys using?

The best one I have used to date was a Cracker brand I found in a store many years ago.

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/18/18 05:24 PM

Whichever one Cabela’s carries. I already threw the box away lol.
Posted By: Allan W

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/19/18 01:13 AM

I need a new net, taking your word on it. Just ordered two. These were $38.00 each, cheap enough I thought.

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/19/18 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: TCK73
I just looked at those, I need a new one too. Which one are you guys using?

The best one I have used to date was a Cracker brand I found in a store many years ago.

I noticed Cabela's had the Cracker brand net.

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/19/18 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Allan W
I need a new net, taking your word on it. Just ordered two. These were $38.00 each, cheap enough I thought.

Dang. Paid $105 for mine haha
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/19/18 01:28 AM

I recently ordered a Barracuda. Lifetime warranty so we will see.

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/19/18 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: G Love

Thats cause I ordered the wrong one!

All squared away now $105...

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/19/18 03:51 AM

You’ll dig it man.
Posted By: Thunk

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/20/18 03:33 AM

I bought an Ahi net from there and was back in today. The ahi is a good net. Most of the ones that Cabela's has in store are 3/4 lbs. In weight. Not fast sinkers. Great for shallow water until you get up to the pricier nets which will sink deeper faster. $100 and above is too pricey to get hung up in an unseen tree for me.
Posted By: Basshoe

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/20/18 04:54 AM

I have the exact castnet I bought from Cabela's online. It's been about 7 years now and it's still in perfect condition. 7' And it's HEAVY! round lead weights. sinks really fast. spreads amazing.
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/21/18 10:07 AM

Best net I have ever owned was an Ahi. Blue and light weight. Seemed to out net all my heavy fast sinkers expensive ones. Cant find it anymore
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/21/18 12:03 PM

How's the mono line on that Ahi?
I really like for my net to be flexible/soft. The stiffer the net I find it to be harder to manage.
Posted By: TexMann1

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/21/18 12:59 PM

If you have a mono net that is very stiff, put it in a bucket of water and fabric softener overnight to soak. The last net I purchased suggested this. This Fitec net is a really good net and easy to throw. It has a very long hand line and taped for deep bait.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4ZYJ4M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/24/18 01:38 AM

Went to Cabelas today to buy an AHI net. They had two different weights in 6’, 1.35# in 1/4” mesh or the 0.75# in 3/8” mesh. What is best one to buy?
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/24/18 01:49 AM

Neither at least 3/8 with a pound per ft. I prefer a 7 ft 1/2inch with pound or greater
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/24/18 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish
Neither at least 3/8 with a pound per ft. I prefer a 7 ft 1/2inch with pound or greater

I was looking on their website and they indicated that was for 5” bait. Do you still catch the 3-4” hybrid bait size shad in the 1” net?

Thanks!
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/24/18 01:07 PM

1/2 inch net not one inch

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/24/18 01:24 PM

Duh, gotcha thanks!

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/24/18 01:24 PM

Duh, gotcha thanks!

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/24/18 01:27 PM

Ok actually i was right

https://ahiusa.com/product/300-series-cast-nets/

This is what I was going to get but when I scrolled to the bottom of the page it said 5-10”. I definitely want to catch threadfin vs. gizzards. I assume you catch threadfin in these? I just bought an old salt but was going to get the ahi.
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/24/18 01:45 PM

Tgravley, thanks for the help.

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/24/18 03:27 PM

You’ll dig it man.

Good call, me likey
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/25/18 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: TexMann1
If you have a mono net that is very stiff, put it in a bucket of water and fabric softener overnight to soak.

I've tried this several different times with several different nets. It doesn't work. Or to say it another way, it didn't alter the net material in the way that I was wanting it to.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/25/18 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Holzer
Originally Posted By: TexMann1
If you have a mono net that is very stiff, put it in a bucket of water and fabric softener overnight to soak.

I've tried this several different times with several different nets. It doesn't work. Or to say it another way, it didn't alter the net material in the way that I was wanting it to.

That has been my experience as well.

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/25/18 02:47 PM

Mine is 3/8 with 1.5lb per. All I want is 5-7" Gizzards, preferably. With a kicker Shad or two roflmao

Re: Ahi Castnet - 06/27/18 01:34 AM

This was almost a timely thread for me. I tore my castnet last trip so needed a new one. Did some research and ended up ordering a Betts old salt 7’ 1/2” 1lb plus cast net online. With shipping and tax was 87 from eBay National athletics supply. Then ordered a Ahi 300 from Walmart also 7’ 1/2” for $70. Have not tried the two but will this weekend hopefully. If anyone else is looking, look on-line it’s much cheaper.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum